Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Oct 25, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #1,426 of 4,588
If i want a more mellow and natural sound, which one is better to buy? The Asgard 2 amplifier or the Modi Multibit dac? My stack is now Modi2u/Magni2u. According to my memory, my old Asgard 1 had a mellow and natural sound that i loved very much.
Thanks,

If I may make a slightly different suggestion.. if you're after a natural and mellow sound, you might really enjoy a Vali 2 with an EH 6CG7 dropped in thereDon't fret that it's a tube amp, it doesn't need babying, and that tube is is cheap, and will last you about 5000 hours and cost about $20. You'll get a really pleasant sound, with a lovely airy and relaxed sound- and enough power to drive things like the inevitable HD650 without embarassing itself (see also the rather wet fart bass that the Magni 2U gives the HD650).

It's small, cheap and also looks really cute stacked with your Modi Multibit. The only danger is that you can lose track of the time listening to it, it's such a friendly and asbsorbing combo.

Oct 25, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #1,427 of 4,588

If I may make a slightly different suggestion.. if you're after a natural and mellow sound, you might really enjoy a Vali 2 with an EH 6CG7 dropped in thereDon't fret that it's a tube amp, it doesn't need babying, and that tube is is cheap, and will last you about 5000 hours and cost about $20. You'll get a really pleasant sound, with a lovely airy and relaxed sound- and enough power to drive things like the inevitable HD650 without embarassing itself (see also the rather wet fart bass that the Magni 2U gives the HD650).

It's small, cheap and also looks really cute stacked with your Modi Multibit. The only danger is that you can lose track of the time listening to it, it's such a friendly and asbsorbing combo.

Wait, you're recommending a tube amp? Did I wake up in a parallel universe?

Oct 25, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #1,428 of 4,588

Yes, in this universe, we only wear a single trouser at once, and believe in milk 
cool.gif

Nope, for the money, it's hard to find a solid state amp that would do what was requested. If you're paying, I'd still much rather have a Black Widow 2 or something, but someone with a Mimby, who wants a "a more mellow and natural sound" on a budget would be hard pressed to beat it, with a decent tube. Solid state amps that sound smooth and mellow without being blurpy/smeary tend to be rather pricey (if awesome). If you know of a $165 solid state amp that fits the bill, then I'm mostly ears.

Plus, it's not very tubey.. it has a solid state output stage and one tiny tube- so you could deny everything. Oh, and it's cute. It looks like some sort of tiny kawaii steampunk robot that is really pleased to see you. Oh, and it'd make a very tidy stack.

(Yeah, I did ask people what the point of tubes was, and didn't get very good answers, which reinforced my prejudices. If someone had told me about the glorious freedom from crossover distortion and complex negative feedback etc., I would have been more impressed. Still, you have to be really careful about things like high OI with some OTL designs, and distortion with bad transformer-coupled units- there is still a massive minefield. Oh, and there's the terrible tossy "tube rolling" obsessives, who are dead annoying.

I went away, and asked some nice, well-informed people, read some ieee and similar articles etc., it was quite a rabbit hole. I still listen to SS amps more often than not, though!)

Oct 25, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #1,429 of 4,588

He's right, and beat me to it. I was going to recommend the exact same. Vali 2 is a really fun little amp.

Oct 25, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #1,430 of 4,588
Welp, I ended up having to send the entire unit back after I got the replacement power supply but Schiit customer service was quick and extremely understanding and helpful and I got my replacement this evening. Everything's running great so far! and I'm loving the sound the Modi Multibit is putting out. 

Oct 26, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #1,432 of 4,588

Thank you,
I am reading about the vali now 
smily_headphones1.gif
 Have always thought of tubes as an expensive and complex hobby 
tongue.gif

Oct 26, 2016 at 4:56 AM Post #1,433 of 4,588
  Thank you,
I am reading about the vali now 
smily_headphones1.gif
 Have always thought of tubes as an expensive and complex hobby 
tongue.gif

Yes, the awful chin-stroking "tube rolling" threads are enough to put anyone off!

The Vali 2 is the same size as the Mimby/Magni (so makes a tidy stack with the Mimby), and barely costs more than a Magni 2u. It only takes one tube, so that's really easy. Here's a solid upgrade to the stock tube with an airy, mellow sound:

https://www.tubedepot.com/products/electro-harmonix-6cg7-6fq7-eh-preamp-vacuum-tube

The 6CG7EH are nice and cheap, so you may as well get a couple at once, so you have a spare for the future. 

You can use it like any other amp- and expect the tube to last about 5000 hours. Schiit suggest turning it off if you're not going to use it for an hour, and I'd suggest giving it ten minutes after switching on to warm up. That's about the extent of the complexity with this amp, I'm afraid. There's nothing mysterious to know- it's a nice little amp, and hard to beat for the price. You can more or less forget that it's a tube amp, and just enjoy your listening time 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #1,434 of 4,588

Yes, the awful chin-stroking "tube rolling" threads are enough to put anyone off!

The Vali 2 is the same size as the Mimby/Magni (so makes a tidy stack with the Mimby), and barely costs more than a Magni 2u. It only takes one tube, so that's really easy. Here's a solid upgrade to the stock tube with an airy, mellow sound:

https://www.tubedepot.com/products/electro-harmonix-6cg7-6fq7-eh-preamp-vacuum-tube

The 6CG7EH are nice and cheap, so you may as well get a couple at once, so you have a spare for the future. 

You can use it like any other amp- and expect the tube to last about 5000 hours. Schiit suggest turning it off if you're not going to use it for an hour, and I'd suggest giving it ten minutes after switching on to warm up. That's about the extent of the complexity with this amp, I'm afraid. There's nothing mysterious to know- it's a nice little amp, and hard to beat for the price. You can more or less forget that it's a tube amp, and just enjoy your listening time 
smily_headphones1.gif

What he said. There are some really expensive tubes, and there are some gems that are really cheap. Like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/391549391627?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

You just need an adapter to run it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pc-Gold-plated-ECC88-6922-6DJ8-adapter-top-to-6N3-5670-tube-converter-adapter-/201274682953?hash=item2edce7ee49:g:lKAAAOSwOVpXV4q0

With only one tube, you can roll for half the price. Or get two and have a spare.

Oct 26, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #1,436 of 4,588
The 6cg7 requires 600 milliamps heater current. I believe that exceeds the regulated DC heater supply rating on the Vali 2. I would confirm this with Schiit before purchase. It should work fine in the Valhalla 2 and Lyr 1.

Edit: My mistake, it will work. Maximum current is 600 miliamps. I was under the impression it was 400, like the Lyr 2

Edit Edit: Does this mean we can put a 616P into the Vali 2?

Oct 26, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #1,437 of 4,588
  The 6cg7 requires 600 milliamps heater current. I believe that exceeds the regulated DC heater supply rating on the Vali 2. I would confirm this with Schiit before purchase. It should work fine in the Valhalla 2 and Lyr 1.

Mike Moffat rather likes 6CG7 in the Vali 2, actually. They work fine; don't worry.

Quote:
  To throw some more fuel on the rolling opportunities, Mike Moffat has told me he likes 6CG7s in the Vali 2. While this tube isn't on the "official" tube list (and it does look extra silly--it's a big tube) it does highlight the fact that you can use tubes up to 600mA heater current with Vali 2.

So, if it has 6DJ8 pinout, 6V heater, and 600mA heater current or under, it's good to go with Vali 2. In addition to the 6CG7s, this opens up the 6N1P as well.

Happy rolling! (And don't go too crazy with it--you can easily eclipse the price of the Vali 2 in tubes.)

..though my EH6CG7 doesn't look any bigger than the stock tube to me- maybe some older ones were taller?

Anyway, all these interjections are kinda unhelpful. We were trying to reassure someone that using a simple and straightforward Vali 2 didn't need to be an operatic production number (hint- it doesn't). The usual circular Head-Fi tube onanist flapping won't help there. Is it any wonder that people stick with unimpressive low-end SS amps just to have a quiet life? 
biggrin.gif

Oct 26, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #1,439 of 4,588
I just got the Modi Multibit and a Gustard H10 (my first high end gear in my life)  any advice what cans will pair well with it? So far all I have is TH-X00 purpleheats and fostex t50rp mk3.  Should I am for something like the HE-560? what will benefit the most from a high end  combo like this?

Oct 26, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #1,440 of 4,588

clip ...There's nothing mysterious to know- it's a nice little amp, and hard to beat for the price. You can more or less forget that it's a tube amp, and just enjoy your listening time 
smily_headphones1.gif

True this. Easy and inexpensive way to explore and enjoy the benefits of tube sound. I would emphasize: great amp, great sound, great value and about as easy as it gets.
Not familiar with the tube that @Ancipital is recommending but I wouldn't hesitate to try it.

What he said. There are some really expensive tubes, and there are some gems that are really cheap. Like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/391549391627?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

You just need an adapter to run it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pc-Gold-plated-ECC88-6922-6DJ8-adapter-top-to-6N3-5670-tube-converter-adapter-/201274682953?hash=item2edce7ee49:g:lKAAAOSwOVpXV4q0

With only one tube, you can roll for half the price. Or get two and have a spare.

Also true. 100% agree with @rmoody.
Really a gem. Using this tube in all my amps in lieu of my expensive 'trophy tubes' that cost hundreds of dollars per pair... and, yes, because of the SQ.
Absolutely true and as easy as it gets. Referenced tube seller is reliable, honest and super easy to deal with. Many transactions with him, couldn't be better.
Not complicated at all. (Honest opinion and experience but it's only my own.)

Vali2 comes with a stock tube so you can check that out first. If you like the stock setup then you can pick up one of the recommended tubes for substantially improved sound!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back