Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Oct 1, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #1,306 of 4,588
I need some advice on choosing between the Modi 2 Uber and the Modi Multibit.
I own a chromecast audio, which sounds rather unpleasant using the analog output. I was planning on just using the cca with a dac, but apparently the digital out of the cca is affected by loads of jitter. My budget allows for either

a) The Modi 2 Uber and a cheap spdif reclocker like the new ifi ipurifier spdif

or

b) The Modi Multibit.

What do you recommend? Thanks a lot for your help.

Kind regards,
David

Oct 1, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #1,307 of 4,588
I own a chromecast audio, which sounds rather unpleasant using the analog output. I was planning on just using the cca with a dac, but apparently the digital out of the cca is affected by loads of jitter. My budget allows for either

or

b) The Modi Multibit.

Kind regards,
David

In my humble (but firm) opinion, the modi multibit is a better mousetrap.  Generally speaking, I'd always recommend getting the best base DAC you can, and then if you want to experiment with some of the other vodoo like USB -> SPDIF or USB reclocking, doing that later.  Because you may well find that by getting the better DAC you don't need it - and you save yourself the cash.  However, if you want, you'll be able to 'upgrade' for low cost later whereas the alternative leaves you no option but buying a more expensive DAC.

Oct 2, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #1,308 of 4,588

or

b) The Modi Multibit.

Kind regards,
David

Bold emphasis mine, but by loads, you mean, still inaudible?

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2016/02/measurements-google-chromecast-audio_27.html

Nonetheless, realize that 95dB is still a very big number and this is not going to pose an issue despite claims by the most golden-eared audiophile!​

For 16bit audio, it's well below the noise floor of the 16bit audio stream.  For 24bit audio, it's 95db down, so still quite low unless you have some crazy awesome speaker system capable of that sort of dynamic range.

Oct 2, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #1,311 of 4,588
Another owner of both Über and Multibit here, and I find multibit to be a tremendous upgrade.  Admittedly it's the kind of upgrade that non Head-Fi'ers might very well not notice at all, but if you're a careful enough listener to be paying for a $150 DAC instead of something cheaper, then I think over time you'll find the extra $100 for multibit well spent.

Oct 3, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #1,312 of 4,588

or

b) The Modi Multibit.

Kind regards,
David

The Modi Multibit is a far nicer DAC. However, your Chromecast will be sample rate converting everything to 48KHz anyway, so you might find a quality bottleneck that happens before you hit the DAC. Thus, the real question might be different to (or more complicated than) the one that you asked.

Oct 3, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #1,313 of 4,588

The Modi Multibit is a far nicer DAC. However, your Chromecast will be sample rate converting everything to 48KHz anyway, so you might find a quality bottleneck that happens before you hit the DAC. Thus, the real question might be different to (or more complicated than) the one that you asked.

Thanks for ruling out me ever buying a Chromecast. 
smile.gif

Oct 3, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #1,314 of 4,588

Chromecast Audio does 24 bit/96khz.

I don't find the Chromecast to be that great for other reasons, but sound quality seems fine to me.

Oct 3, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #1,317 of 4,588

Max sample rate != default sample rate.

That said, looks like they fixed this very long-standing bug in 1.17a, so it can actually do 44.1kHz again now, yay! 

Are you saying the Chromecast Audio does not actually output at 96 kHz?  I've never checked in to this, I just assumed it would output whatever the source file was.

Oct 4, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #1,319 of 4,588
Today I had the pleasure of hearing the Yggdrasil. While I did not have my Mimby on hand to directly A/B compare, I was able to get a very clear idea of the differences after several hours with the Yggy.

The gentleman had several amps on deck (Black Widow, Ragnarok, Bottle Crack+Speedball, Bottlehead Mainline), I listened mostly through my Jotunheim.

First off it must be said that what Schiit has achieved with the Mimby is nothing short of astonishing. A $250 DAC that has 90% of the performance of the now legendary (and much larger in size) $2,200 Yggdrasil. It made me appreciate just how special and game changing the Mimby is.

Yes, the two DACs are remarkably close in performance. The biggest difference I'd say is that Yggy has a meatier sound to it. It has more meat on the bones so to speak. I also realized how dead neutral Mimby is. Yggy sounded ever so slightly warmer. That warmth makes Yggy a bit more engaging and more euphonic.

On the subtler side of things, Yggy has a bit more resolution and detail but its a subtle difference. There is a bit more "snap" and pizazz to Yggy. Yggy also has a bit better sound stage presentation and placement of instruments/voices. These differences are so subtle, they are almost trivial and work in Mimby's favor since it is only $250.

Yggy had a bit better bass and slam factor as well, but again, subtle.

I would almost tell people who are thinking about getting a Yggy to get a Mimnby instead and put the money they saved toward a much better headphone (Focal Utopia?) because it will make a much bigger difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back