Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Sep 8, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #1,096 of 4,588

Sample rate is non-issue. I think what he meant is playing back the files with higher than DAC's native bit-depth resolution. What happens internally with 24 bit files?

files are input at native bit width processed in a 32 bit processor, then rounded to the DAC chip native resolution before output.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 8, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #1,099 of 4,588
The bedroom system:

Technics 1200 MK2 turntable, Denon 301 MK2 cartridge, Denon AU 300LC step up transformer, Project Tube Box SEII phono stage, Schiit Lyr, Audioengine A5+ speakers. Main headphones are Senn HD650 and Hifiman HE400i.

Have the 4490 Bifrost hooked up to the Lyr via the SYS. Nice to switch between digital and vinyl listening.

In the living room I have the TV hooked up to the Mimby, Mimby outputting to Music Hall a15.2 amp and Magni 2 Uber, HSU HB-1 MK2 speakers and HSU VTF-1 sub.

Sep 9, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #1,101 of 4,588
I now have 50 hours on the Modi Multibit and it's getting better and better.

The main thing I am noticing is the tight and detailed bass, I can actually follow bass guitar lines in detail that I could not do so easily on the Mojo. Listening to G&R's Paradise City, Duff's bass line just pop's out at you, each note clearly defined like no other desktop dac I have listened to.

Roll on 100 hours!

Your brain is getting better and better at listening to it, I suspect. It was probably well settled into its INL spec a while ago.

Anyway, that aside, I'm inclined to agree with you, I am enjoying my Mimby more than my Mojo via my desktop amp. It seems richer and more detailed.

The Mojo shutting down in the heat while playing and charging is what actually annoyed me enough to get an actual desktop DAC. I did suffer a little buyer's remorse- as while Mimby's stunningly good value for a multibit DAC, it felt like an additional extravagance. Boy, have I ever changed my mind since then. It's a lovely bit of kit- clean and detailed sound, reproducing detail rather than emphasising it, if that makes sense. It's a surprisingly easy and relaxed listen for something so detailed.

I started out being somewhat uncomfortable with my Mimby, but it has won me over by doing exactly what it said on the tin- at a surprisingly sane price. Sometimes all the fuss about certain Schiit units is actually justified. Bastards :)

Sep 9, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #1,105 of 4,588
Why, are you married?

dt880smile.png

No, maybe just smarter/wiser than me...! :D

Sep 9, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #1,106 of 4,588
I wish I could have a girlfriend:frown:

Try to see the positive side of it: This way you can DEFINITELY spend more on your audio hobby! I'm talking from experience.

Sep 11, 2016 at 5:33 AM Post #1,107 of 4,588
Sounds like the sound of the mimby will change as it is used. Can I simply leave it on or should I have audio playing through it?

I'd like to try another listening test once it has more hours on it. I did my blind comparison after the mimby was powered on for about 4 days, with maybe a half dozen hours of audio playing through it.

Sep 11, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #1,108 of 4,588
  Sounds like the sound of the mimby will change as it is used. Can I simply leave it on or should I have audio playing through it?

I'd like to try another listening test once it has more hours on it. I did my blind comparison after the mimby was powered on for about 4 days, with maybe a half dozen hours of audio playing through it.

It's a thermal thing for stability in the R2R resistor ladder, nothing to do with audio playing through. Just keep it on.

Sep 11, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #1,110 of 4,588
  Just had a look around the back of my main PC and noticed it has a full size Toslink out (Asus Hero VII motherboard), hooked this up to my Multibit and played a few FLAC's via HQPlayer.

Wow! Even better hard hitting tight bass and more detail and separation in the treble compared to my initial MacBook Pro / Audirvana+ setup!

For people in the UK if you need a good affordable optical cable this one works a treat:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001B51E7G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

but you would be using the onboard audio by doing this or am I wrong? is the digital signal bypassing the onboard audio by s/pdif?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back