Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Aug 19, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #661 of 4,588
If I understand what you're asking...the HD 800 (original) is considered bright by some. And the Beyerdynamic T1 (original) can produce hard, almost shrill byproducts when driven hard (say above 83dBA - pink noise calibrated - with my pair and ears). Although I prefer my LCD2.1 and 3F for general listening, I appreciate the HD 800 for some material. There it can leave the 3F and 2.1 in the dust. As for the T1, I had given up on it...

I haven't listened much to the HD 800 since getting Yggdrasil but Yggy's ability to replace shrill/tinny/screeching high notes with hearing-into-the-inner-detail plays superbly to the 800's strengths IMHO.

As for the T1...it sounds like a completely different hp. Yggy's bass speed and detail shows out really well - I know that's not what you're asking - and the high-notes shrillness is pretty much gone.

These observations are in comparison to several DS dacs on hand (e.g. BMC PureDAC, original Eastern Electric MiniMax). Yggy is the only MB type DAC I've heard, hence all this is FWIW, TME, BBQ etc

Great info, appreciated.

Aug 19, 2016 at 6:24 AM Post #663 of 4,588
Just placed my order for one. Hope shipping won't be too long as I live like an hour away from their headquarters....

I live in hour and a half away myself you will receive it the day after it ships. But knowing you can pick it up in an hour or so it Is hard to take waiting on the postman.

Aug 19, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #665 of 4,588
A bit about me:  Over 60, a fair amount of tinnitus, hearing rolls off at about 10k, misspent youth... I've been an aspiring audiophile since I was 8 years old.  Really!

I've been listening to a Modi 2 uber through a Magni 2 uber for about a year. Headphones are AKG 702 and Sennheiser HD700.  Speakers for the moment are a couple of Tang Band W5-2143 in open baffles, near field.  I got my Modi Multibit about a week and a half ago.

The best words I've found on the Internet to define my main complaint about DS dacs are "Digital Glare."  It is this sort of shimmering fuzz that seems to linger about all the sounds coming out of those things, and it turns out I'm very sensitive to that, my hearing issues notwithstanding.  What I hear from mimby is clean, precise, detailed, and a lot more like (Better Than!) vinyl without the scratches, pops, etc.  This dac is a revelation!  I wasn't sure I would be able to hear a difference, but the difference to me is huge!  The exact reason I can hear the difference is not clear because if I understand the math behind "digital glare" at all, it would tend to live in a frequency domain that I no longer hear.  And yet I hear it as plain as day.

A word to Baldr:  There is a huge silent majority out there who appreciate the work you guys do!  When I first became aware of Yggdrasil and the math and science behind it, I was fascinated!  Then came Gumby, then Bimby.  All at price points that I couldn't justify to management, and I just KNEW you wouldn't be able to stand yourself until you got most of that multibit goodness stuffed into a Modi chassis.  I am so thankful that I was right about that!!  I am a customer of yours for life.  Now if you could lobby Jason for a ten watt class A desktop amp I would be eternally grateful.

Aug 19, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #666 of 4,588
  A bit about me:  Over 60, a fair amount of tinnitus, hearing rolls off at about 10k, misspent youth... I've been an aspiring audiophile since I was 8 years old.  Really!

I'm almost exactly the same, age, tinnitus causing some pretty bad masking, congestion in left ear, and lowered freq. response. Music appreciation started at 9 with first opera 78s. Just got the Magni 2 Uber and couldn't be happier over my cheap somewhat modified Sennheiser HD558s. (Good enough for now)

Thank you for your evaluation of the Modi Mulitbit, mine arrives tomorrow. This dac will have to last for quite awhile and I'm glad that those who have burned them in find the sound an enhancement over the Uber and other similarly priced delta-sigma dacs.

Best wishes and further enjoyment of your Schiit stack.

Aug 19, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #667 of 4,588
  I'm almost exactly the same, age, tinnitus causing some pretty bad masking, congestion in left ear, and lowered freq. response. Just got the Magni 2 Uber and couldn't be happier over my cheap somewhat modified Sennheiser HD558s. (Good enough for now)

Thank you for your evaluation of the Modi Mulitbit, mine arrives tomorrow. This dac will have to last for quite awhile and I'm glad that those who have burned them in find the sound an enhancement over the Uber and other similarly priced delta-sigma dacs.

I just knew there were a bunch of us out there:  Decidedly NOT Golden Eared Audiophiles!  But music lovers nonetheless.  I kept climbing the ladder of better gear, and I kept getting happier and happier with my music.  Mimby puts it over the top.

Thanks for your kind words,

Scott

Aug 19, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #668 of 4,588
I climbed the trail to high end in the 90's and ended up owning a Studer-Revox (Tuner, CD, Integrated Amp, Multiroom remote) stack and Magnepans, surround everything and cables, etc. to the point I spent too much money and too much time playing with the gear I didn't listen to much actual music. It almost drove me insane. Since retiring I dumped the lot and have since gone completely PC digital and small. I'm much happier with less(personal preference). However, I dumped to much and have done without any decent audio gear for years. This is my first purchase of dedicated equipment in a long time. Am looking forward to enjoying my collection.

Thanks for the support, Duncan

Aug 19, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #669 of 4,588
Has anyone compared the Mimby to the Emotiva Big Ego?  I am thinking about buying one to for my son to use in his 2ch rig  with a Parasound A21 amp and Pass B1 preamp.  He prefers a warmer sound.  He is currently using a Dragonfly 1.0 with a Jittebug which sounds remarkable good.

Does anyone know if either of these are compatible with Bug Head Infinity Blade?

Much Thanks,

Larry

Aug 19, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #670 of 4,588
  I'm almost exactly the same, age, tinnitus causing some pretty bad masking, congestion in left ear, and lowered freq. response. Music appreciation started at 9 with first opera 78s. Just got the Magni 2 Uber and couldn't be happier over my cheap somewhat modified Sennheiser HD558s. (Good enough for now)

I just knew there were a bunch of us out there:  Decidedly NOT Golden Eared Audiophiles!  But music lovers nonetheless.  I kept climbing the ladder of better gear, and I kept getting happier and happier with my music.  Mimby puts it over the top.

Thanks for your kind words,

Scott

I've had tinnitus from a pretty young age, probably in my teens. No idea what caused it, but I'm leaning towards too many (very painful!) cases of swimmer's ear.

Further (documented) injury sustained in my 15-ish years in the military :/

If you're new to tinnitus, I DO have good news! Your brain will eventually filter it out after awhile. By "awhile", I mean years, though :/ I no longer hear it, unless I think about it......and then it will start screaming at me.

So, no, definitely no Golden Ears here!! But even *I'm* able to hear a difference between M2U and Mimby :)

Aug 19, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #672 of 4,588
  Wow, I already got my tracking number for shipping! Great service indeed! Do I need any drivers to be installed in order to use this DAC with WIN10 or I just plug it in and go?

If you're going to use a Windows PC as a audio source via USB, Windows will have to install drivers when you first plug it in. This should be* a fully automatic process on Windows 10, 8, and 7, but it may take a long time to download and install. Be patient and follow any instructions Windows provides, including restarting the machine.

http://schiit.com/drivers

Aug 19, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #673 of 4,588
These don't need drivers with Macs, right? 

I should be getting my gadget next week from Schiit-Europe. We'll see how it works with my Lyr 2.

Aug 19, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #674 of 4,588
These don't need drivers with Macs, right? 

I should be getting my gadget next week from Schiit-Europe. We'll see how it works with my Lyr 2.

Correct. 100% plug and play on macs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back