Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Aug 10, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #496 of 4,588
  Got a few hours on it now and my first impressions are the sound is slightly sterile and polite to me like all faders are set to the middle...very buttoned down..probably quite proper.....reminds me of a Linn system minus the prat..Everything is accurate and I,m receiving more detail in the music with nuances not heard before,if is engaging me more I dunno? I have to remind myself its $250 so can I hardly complain?

My Musical Fidelity V Dac feels more musical like the faders are maxed up it wants to boogie,now admittedly my points of references are only 1 x dac and a few turntables but this is how it sounds to me and I feel on the first listening session.

I'll be very interested to hear more about this specific comparison. I have an old Musical Fidelity V-DAC too, and I've been wondering if it is time to replace it. The Modi Multibit has caught my eye, so I'll be interested to see if you think it is a clear upgrade or just something with a bit of a different sound.

Aug 10, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #498 of 4,588
Hi, I'm planning on getting the Modi Multibit for my desktop rig to feed my active speakers. Can I just connect the Modi Multibit to my active speakers without any preamp in between?

Yes.

Aug 10, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #500 of 4,588
Tube rolling on my lunch break. I'm not getting much done today. The Oppo PM3 previously used with the Fulla is working just fine with this setup. It sounds great.

In case anyone is wondering, I'm swapping between the stock tube and an EH 6CG7 repro. I do like the latter better. Both are great.

Do your coworkers constantly bug you about your Schiit stack?  I had a Magni/Modi V1 setup for a while and my coworkers wouldn't stop poking fun at my crazy audio hobby.  Not that it really bothered me, but then my boss thought it was causing too much distraction so I downsized my setup to a DACPort Slim and now to a Little Ego.

Aug 10, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #501 of 4,588
  Do your coworkers constantly bug you about your Schiit stack?  I had a Magni/Modi V1 setup for a while and my coworkers wouldn't stop poking fun at my crazy audio hobby.  Not that it really bothered me, but then my boss thought it was causing too much distraction so I downsized my setup to a DACPort Slim and now to a Little Ego.

One coworker has a Fulla and he just bought some of my older gear for home use.  We did have a quick mini listening session.  This is a really good little setup.  I think he'll end up with similar stack on his office desk.

At my old office, I had a full Valhalla2/Bifrost stack with HD600s.  But we had more room and doors.  

Aug 10, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #502 of 4,588

At work I have a Vali2 with a Modi2 (I'm replacing it with a Modi Multibit on next week) and nobody has given me any problems. Some people are curious, but they just want to listen then they move on, no big distraction or anything.

Aug 10, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #503 of 4,588
Hi, I'm planning on getting the Modi Multibit for my desktop rig to feed my active speakers. Can I just connect the Modi Multibit to my active speakers without any preamp in between?

Yes, but for my desktop speakers the output was too much and caused crackling and pops. I believe this is called clipping? Anyway had to go through my magni uber and then turn the volume down by a quarter.

Aug 10, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #504 of 4,588
  Unfortunately it isn't. 
frown.gif

BTW, I haven't seen any real comparison between the Bimby and the Mimby yet
Hope someone with both of them can post some thoughts for all Bifrost owners including me 
biggrin.gif

I have a Bifrost MB and Bifrost 4490.  Yesterday I ordered the Modi MB.  I live in Canada but I'm leaving for vacation to the U.S. on Friday so I'm having it shipped to the hotel we're staying at toward the end of our vacation.  Will be back in about 2 weeks and then I will let it burn in for a few days before I do any comparisons.  So probably 3 weeks from now.  Hopefully someone else will have posted Bifrost vs Modi Multibit comparisons before then.

Aug 10, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #505 of 4,588
  I have a Bifrost MB and Bifrost 4490.  Yesterday I ordered the Modi MB.  I live in Canada but I'm leaving for vacation to the U.S. on Friday so I'm having it shipped to the hotel we're staying at toward the end of our vacation.  Will be back in about 2 weeks and then I will let it burn in for a few days before I do any comparisons.  So probably 3 weeks from now.  Hopefully someone else will have posted Bifrost vs Modi Multibit comparisons before then.

Whether or not someone else has posted any comparisons, I do hope you post yours when you get a chance. My current setup is Wyrd -> Modi 1 ->Valhalla 2 -> HD650, I'm considering a new DAC and just can't decide between the Modi Multibit and the Bifrost 4490.

Aug 10, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #506 of 4,588

Whether or not someone else has posted any comparisons, I do hope you post yours when you get a chance. My current setup is Wyrd -> Modi 1 ->Valhalla 2 -> HD650, I'm considering a new DAC and just can't decide between the Modi Multibit and the Bifrost 4490.

I own the Bifrost 4490 and the Modi Multibit. I prefer the Mobi. It's smoother and the imaging is much better. 

Aug 10, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #507 of 4,588
  I own the Bifrost 4490 and the Modi Multibit. I prefer the Mobi. It's smoother and the imaging is much better. 

That's interesting. Thanks for the feedback.

How's the bass extension on the Modi Multibit vs the Bifrost 4490? The bass extension on the Modi 1 is something I'm a little dissatisfied with, and it's something I'd like to see an improvement in with any upgrade.

Aug 10, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #508 of 4,588

That's interesting. Thanks for the feedback.

How's the bass extension on the Modi Multibit vs the Bifrost 4490? The bass extension on the Modi 1 is something I'm a little dissatisfied with, and it's something I'd like to see an improvement in with any upgrade.

I notice more bass on the 4490. It's both stronger and seems to go a little lower.  It's not enough of a negative to outweigh the things the Mobi does better. 

Aug 10, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #509 of 4,588

I'd really appreciate it if you could post your feedback since i'm not in a hurry to get rid of my bifrost and your setup looks ideal to give a detailed comparison

I notice more bass on the 4490. It's both stronger and seems to go a little lower.  It's not enough of a negative to outweigh the things the Mobi does better. 

I thought that the Mimby should have more bass(at least that's what I've heard from others), pretty interesting.
since that I prefer more treble than bass, it's gonna get into my concerns
thanks for the feedback!

Aug 10, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #510 of 4,588
Got my Modi Multibit today. Modi 2 Uber up for sale. Old Modi 2 Uber and Vali 2 with right tube sounded better than my old Lyr and Bitfrost Uber. Schiit has come a long way, Baby in a short time!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back