Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Jul 26, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #91 of 4,588
  The cost of a Bifrost Uber (which I'm a happy owner of) -> Bifrost Multibit upgrade is similar to the cost of a new Modi Multibit.

What would be the pros of performing the above upgrade as opposed to just getting a Modi Multibit?

I would imagine that the power supply in the Bifrost is better ... What else :)?

Thank you!

Potential to upgrade the components. In the Bifrost you could still do that. With the Modi, no chance.

Jul 26, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #92 of 4,588
I was looking at and comparing the Bifrost MB and the new Modi MB boards on the Schiit website and besides the obvious size differences between these 2 components, there's one heck of a lot more "electronics" in the Bifrost. If size matters, one would have to think that the Bifrost MB is significantly more DAC than the Modi MB. I'm very curious to hear fair comparative impressions from owners of both.

Jul 26, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #93 of 4,588

The Modi 2 Uber's USB input (and possibly its DAC section) are still bus-powered by the PC.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/748067/official-schiit-magni-modi-2-uber-thread/240#post_11381710

I'm pretty sure the external PS is only used to power the coax and optical sections of the Modi 2U.  I don't know if the Modi MB is configured the same way.

.xero1, From what I gathered from that post they needed a Wyrd or powered USB hub for his phone to see the M2U, and you still need the Wallwart to power the other portions.My Modi 2 U does not Even show up Under Device Management on my Windows Desktop unless I hit the power switch and that's with a Wyrd inline....

I stand corrected.  It looks like the Modi 2U is completely powered by its PS (and I would assume that the Modi MB is the same).  Thanks for the info.

Jul 26, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #94 of 4,588
I was looking at and comparing the Bifrost MB and the new Modi MB boards on the Schiit website and besides the obvious size differences between these 2 components, there's one heck of a lot more "electronics" in the Bifrost. If size matters, one would have to think that the Bifrost MB is significantly more DAC than the Modi MB. I'm very curious to hear fair comparative impressions from owners of both.

I think the extra stuff you see is because it is modular/upgradeable.  They are both Schiit Multibit2 Platform, 4x Closed-form Filter, AD5547CRUZ. 

Jul 26, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #95 of 4,588

Bifrost Multibit have on board power supply where as Modi MB do not. So I can guess the reason of lot more electronics. Now we have to concentrate on analog side, are there significant extra components on Bimby compared to Modi MB? I guess it might have, as the SNR is 109 compared to 104 of Modi MB, also I do not think they have posted the inside real picture of Modi MB yet.

Jul 26, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #96 of 4,588
  Bifrost Multibit have on board power supply where as Modi MB do not. So I can guess the reason of lot more electronics. Now we have to concentrate on analog side, are there significant extra components on Bimby compared to Modi MB? I guess it might have, as the SNR is 109 compared to 104 of Modi MB, also I do not think they have posted the inside real picture of Modi MB yet.

The inside pics are up on the site now.  It's packed pretty tight on top and bottom.

Jul 26, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #102 of 4,588
  Shouldn't it be Momby?
The way I see it, the names were created from the shortened versions, BiMB and GuMB, so logically it should be  MoMB or Momby...

I was going to say it should be Moby, think I saw at least one other person call it that as well. Mimby kinda fails as an abbreviation when it's longer than the original "modi" name sake...  We need an official statement from schitt to settle these polarizing community issues.  

Jul 26, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #105 of 4,588
  What is the actual practical difference in sound between a multibit and not mulitbit DAC? I know that nobody here has yet heard the Modi, so the Bifrost. Can someone concretely describe how the Bifrost multibit sounds different than the Bifrost?

You'll see much controversy around "concrete" assessments (these things are very personal, different people have different sensitivities, etc.), but the gist of it is that many find Schiit R2R DACs to sound more "natural" or "realistic", with less "listening fatigue" and without "digital glare". I find such assessments especially convincing when coming from people with experience with live unamplified music or actual studio recordings (and who can compare the recording to the live performance they've assisted to), and/or have access to various DACs of ludicrous price tags yet still prefer the Schiit R2R presentation.

For instance see:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/785369/yggdrasil-gungnir-mb-bifrost-mb-a-terse-ribald-comparison
http://www.head-fi.org/t/804153/life-after-yggdrasil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back