Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Jul 25, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #31 of 4,588
So... just to clarify, since there is no "Standard" mode, there is NO way to use the Modi 2 Multibit on Mac OS X, correct?

Modi Multibit, like all of our DACs, just plugs into Macs and Linux distros that support USB Audio Class 2 and works with no drivers.

Only Windows is lame enough NOT to support USB Audio Class 2.

Hell, even Android 5 and up supports UAC 2. 

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 25, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #32 of 4,588
  I do apologize but what is multibit and what does it do to the sound or sound quality? 

Depends on who you ask  =)

Some people swear it sounds much better. Others say no difference. 

My opinion wont get in the way of the hype train  anyway hehe  =)

Jul 25, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #33 of 4,588
Is there a chance that the Modi Multibit would sound better than the old Bifrost Uber through digital coax?

Jul 25, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #34 of 4,588
I am happy as a pig now as I have ordered one after Jason has made the announcement. 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/815368/happy-as-a-pig-in-schiit-introducing-modi-multibit

Modi Multibit: Unique Multibit Architecture and Digital Filter
Modi Multibit is the most affordable multibit DAC with a modern architecture—from any manufacturer, from any country in the world. Featuring Schiit’s unique closed-form digital filter, and using the same Analog Devices AD5547 multibit DAC as Bifrost, Modi Multibit smashes the high-price barrier in multibit DACs. 

Since getting my Yggy in March, I have been yearning for a multibit DAC for my office desk. The Biforst multibit has been very tempting but I needed something with smaller footprint. This is a Modi multibit DAC fits the bill with its tiny footprint. Now waiting for Fedex delivery. Please post your impression and discussion here if you get your set earlier in the USA. 

Edit: For brevity, let's refer to the new dac as "Mimby" as Mike Moffat (Baldr) calls it in another thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/815368/happy-as-a-pig-in-schiit-introducing-modi-multibit/60#post_12747615
Bimby = Bifrost Multibit
Gumby = Gungnir Multibit
Yggy = Yggdrasil
Mimby = Modi Multibit.

Jul 25, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #35 of 4,588

Modi Multibit, like all of our DACs, just plugs into Macs and Linux distros that support USB Audio Class 2 and works with no drivers.

Only Windows is lame enough NOT to support USB Audio Class 2.

Hell, even Android 5 and up supports UAC 2. 

Okay, thanks, that's what I suspected, but what I was reading in the thread confused me slightly so I wanted that clarification... I have never considered getting a multibit DAC before because I couldn't justify the price... but goodness, I think you have me sold!  Can't wait to try this out on my Mac!

Jul 25, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #41 of 4,588
  Is there a chance that the Modi Multibit would sound better than the old Bifrost Uber through digital coax?

You can upgrade your Bifrost Uber to Multibit for $250, which then has these advantages over Modi Multibit:

* Better power supply
* Can be upgraded in the future.

Jul 25, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #42 of 4,588
R2R?

Jul 25, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #43 of 4,588

Yep. Says so in the announcement.

Multibit DACs differ from the vast majority of DACs in that they use true 16-20 bit D/A converters that can reproduce the exact level of every digital audio sample. Most DACs use inexpensive delta-sigma technology with a bit depth of only 1-5 bits to approximate the level of every digital audio sample, based on the values of the samples that precede and follow it.

Jul 25, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #44 of 4,588
 Thank you for your order! Your order number is 51***. Please check your email for a copy of this order.

Today, I visited schiit.com to pull the trigger on a Modi 2 Uber for my 2ch TV setup. I did not see the multibit announcement.

To my delight, Modi Multibit was an option on the Modi 2 product page! Please, take my Schiitty $100 in exchange for multibit glory.

I'm spoiled by the Yggdrasil at my work desk (headphone/nearfield) but couldn't justify $600 Bifrost Multibit for TV/movies.

Enter Modi Multibit at less than half the cost.

/happy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back