Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Jul 25, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #17 of 4,588

Not needed for standard mode. Check Schiit website:
Modi 2 plugs into virtually any computer—Windows, Mac, popular Linux distros, Intel Chromebooks, as well as iPhones and iPads. Just connect via USB and go with no drivers in Standard Mode, up to 24/96 output. Switch to Expert Mode (and install Windows drivers) for extended high-res capabilities to 24/192. 

The Modi 2 Uber requires drivers for windows. I would expect the Modi MB to require them as well, There is no switched Mode on the Uber and MB

Modi-Multibit-rr.jpg

Jul 25, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #18 of 4,588
  Wow, great job! Can we assume that no Windows drivers are required for this version, too?

Not needed for standard mode. Check Schiit website:
Modi 2 plugs into virtually any computer—Windows, Mac, popular Linux distros, Intel Chromebooks, as well as iPhones and iPads. Just connect via USB and go with no drivers in Standard Mode, up to 24/96 output. Switch to Expert Mode (and install Windows drivers) for extended high-res capabilities to 24/192. 

I think you need to take the FAQ piece by piece to understand. First there is a product called the Modi 2, which is not the Modi 2 Uber or the Modi Multibit. The Modi 2 has a switch on the back. This switch allows you to choose two modes - Expert and Standard. The Modi 2 Uber and Modi Multibit do not have this switch. Now I'll follow along with the text from the FAQ.

In Standard Mode, Modi 2 can be used with virtually any Windows or Mac computer instantly recognizes Modi USB and requires no drivers.

That is, for the Modi 2 (not the Uber or Multibit), you can select Standard mode. And in this mode, you do not need drivers. The Modi 2 will be recognized and operate.

Quote:
In Expert Mode, you’ll need to install drivers on Windows.

That is, again for the Modi 2, when selecting Expert mode it will require drivers.

Quote:
Same goes for the Modi 2 Uber.

This is the part that might be confusing. The Modi 2 Uber operates in Expert mode all the time. The Modi Multibit will also operate in Expert mode all the time. Thus this product will require drivers, all the time. There is not a Standard mode option for any product other than the Modi 2.

Jul 25, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #20 of 4,588
Dang... Just bought a Modi 2 Uber last week. :/
Totally stoked to see Schiit continue to trickle down the Multibit stuff tho. Very cool.

Contact orders@schiit.com if you bought a Modi 2 or Uber within the last month and are interested in moving up. We'll take care of you.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 25, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #21 of 4,588
Dang... Just bought a Modi 2 Uber last week. :/
Totally stoked to see Schiit continue to trickle down the Multibit stuff tho. Very cool.

Nevermind, Jason handled it. :)

Jul 25, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #23 of 4,588
beerchug.gif

This is why I love the Schiit!!!

Contact orders@schiit.com if you bought a Modi 2 or Uber within the last month and are interested in moving up. We'll take care of you.

Jul 25, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #24 of 4,588
  I think you need to take the FAQ piece by piece to understand. First there is a product called the Modi 2, which is not the Modi 2 Uber or the Modi Multibit. The Modi 2 has a switch on the back. This switch allows you to choose two modes - Expert and Standard. The Modi 2 Uber and Modi Multibit do not have this switch. Now I'll follow along with the text from the FAQ.

This is the part that might be confusing. The Modi 2 Uber operates in Expert mode all the time. The Modi Multibit will also operate in Expert mode all the time. Thus this product will require drivers, all the time. There is not a Standard mode option for any product other than the Modi 2.

Thanks for parsing all the information. Yes, it seems as though you'll need drivers. Which isn't a problem for 99% of people, but if I were to get this, I'd get it for work, where our insanely overbearing corporate IT security team won't allow any third-party applications to be installed on our computers.

Jul 25, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #26 of 4,588

Thanks for parsing all the information. Yes, it seems as though you'll need drivers. Which isn't a problem for 99% of people, but if I were to get this, I'd get it for work, where our insanely overbearing corporate IT security team won't allow any third-party applications to be installed on our computers.

Very good answers!
However, I suggest simply go download the Modi Multibit user manual for the official wordings. I am copying the relevant part here:

"For USB, select “Schiit Modi” as the audio output device in Control Panel (Windows) or System
Preferences (Mac.) For Windows users, you’ll have to install drivers from schiit.com/drivers."

Jul 25, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #27 of 4,588

I had the ability to use drivers for years... until about 2 months ago. I have access to systems that will literally bring the company to a grinding halt but they still have the no USB for You Policy. I experimented with a Raspberry Pi and a Hifi berry Digi+ for a home music server (using the SPDIF /COAX to Bimby). I am Utterly Impressed with it for Less than $150 including a case It may be my workaround for this Draconion rules they have. and Even Bryston is making a Music Server based on this setup. I have a Modi 2 U now and while tempted I will wait for a while to see what transpires ont he 2 Channel front.

Jul 25, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #28 of 4,588

Yeah same here, can't install any programs on my work rig. Now part of me want to keep the Modi 2...

Jul 25, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #30 of 4,588
So... just to clarify, since there is no "Standard" mode, there is NO way to use the Modi 2 Multibit on Mac OS X, correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back