Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Feb 3, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #3,691 of 4,588
Some here have posted about hearing distortion with their Mimby.....I never have. Last night during a very enjoyable listen, I decided to cycle my Mimby to see if it made a difference sound wise.......WOW ! WOW ! Did it ever ! It wasn't in my head at all. I encourage others to try it while listening and see if it does the same for them. My Mimby had been turned on for 2 weeks straight (at least).

I had read that folks find the Multibit to sound better if left on. To confirm, was that your experience?

Feb 3, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #3,692 of 4,588
I had read that folks find the Multibit to sound better if left on. To confirm, was that your experience?

Baldr (i.e. Mike Moffat) himself, who created the DAC, hinted about leaving Schiit's multibit products always on, to have them reach and maintain the right temperature.
Frankly, I'm not looking for any further opinion, given he surely knows what he's talking about :ksc75smile:

Feb 3, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #3,693 of 4,588
Some here have posted about hearing distortion with their Mimby.....I never have. Last night during a very enjoyable listen, I decided to cycle my Mimby to see if it made a difference sound wise.......WOW ! WOW ! Did it ever ! It wasn't in my head at all. I encourage others to try it while listening and
Baldr (i.e. Mike Moffat) himself, who created the DAC, hinted about leaving Schiit's multibit products always on, to have them reach and maintain the right temperature.
Frankly, I'm not looking for any further opinion, given he surely knows what he's talking about :ksc75smile:

Hard to argue there :wink: Thanks!

Feb 3, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #3,694 of 4,588
My Mimby DOES sound better left on. Period. I just cycled my Mimby off 10 seconds (ish). Then turned it back on. Unit had been on for at least 2 weeks straight. Mimby sounds warmer, less harsh, and more focused sound stage wise when left on. I leave mine on pretty much all the time. My Bimby sounds better when left on as well. I leave my Vali 2 or SYS on top of my Mimby most of the time, so it gets very mildy warm. My Saga sits on my Bimby all the time. Bimby stays room temp all the time. .......I hope this answers your question. My Mimby sounds better warm than the Bimby when it is cold. Not to start another Mimby vs Bimby debate. Both warmed up for 1 week at least, I like Bimby better....mildly. I only use both with Coax and optical, no usb ever. (I like physical discs cd/sacd/vinyl and own a few files saved to sd cards and thumb drives to plug into my Oppo/sony/sacd universal players.

Feb 3, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #3,696 of 4,588
So for the best sound, keep your oven on at 200 degrees?

Put the Mimby into the oven for 15 minutes at 200 degrees, flip it at half the procedure to make sure it gets well toasted on both sides.
You'll get an incredibly CRISPY sound afterwards!

:beyersmile:

Feb 3, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #3,698 of 4,588
That pisses me off, if indeed he was 'hinting' that I bought a $250 product which does not contain the full operating instructions ... as if I am expected to look around on esoteric web forums to find out how to operate equipment that I paid for?

This goes against the entire reason I like the company.

Feb 3, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #3,699 of 4,588
I'll say this. I had a brief affair with a Mimby sold it in the end. I recently picked a Parasound DA/C-1000 for less than I sold the Mimby for, it is a similar to the Adcom PCM63-based design, and if I were to write a comparison between it and the Mimby it'd end up being very similar to the one above about the Gumby. It won't do hi-res (a 24/96 mod is available for the Parasound tho) but if redbook is what you listen to there is really no need to spend 4 digits on a multibit DAC if you can find one of these PCM63 DACs used. The Assemblage lineup is another one to be after. Unlike Schiit units these DACs are sensitive to jitter, so pay attention what you're feeding them with for best results. It looks like it should be possible to add an I2S input to mine, which will hopefully bring it to the next level as the incoming SPDIF circuitry in them has high intrinsic jitter by today's standards.
I would have to replace the the reciver chip to even consider doing higher resolution. The PCM63 is only a 20 bit dac with 44KHz resolution. I can not see any advantage to trying to upgrade it to 24/96 as you would have to replace the PCM63 chips in order to play 24/96. Maybe I am missing some thing here on that upgrade you mentioned.

https://m.eet.com/media/1077950/pcm63.pdf

Feb 3, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #3,700 of 4,588
I got my mimby one month ago, really enjoy it,
I left it on for one week and it has some hiss sound on my left channel.
When I turn it off, next time it work fine.
Anybody has some ideas about it?
Thanks

Feb 3, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #3,701 of 4,588
I got my mimby one month ago, really enjoy it,
I left it on for one week and it has some hiss sound on my left channel.
When I turn it off, next time it work fine.
Anybody has some ideas about it?
Thanks
In my research I’ve found posts detailing this left channel bug-out issue going all the way back to August 2016. So it appears there is no proper fix forthcoming. As they say, power cycle early and often.

My suspicion is it has something to do with changing frequencies on the input. If you play only 44100 source material you’ll likely never encounter the problem. When it does rear its head, you’ll hear a high pitched ringing underwater type sound in the left channel mixed in with your music. Sad really. Where are the pitchforks?

Feb 3, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #3,702 of 4,588
I would have to replace the the reciver chip to even consider doing higher resolution. The PCM63 is only a 20 bit dac with 44KHz resolution. I can not see any advantage to trying to upgrade it to 24/96 as you would have to replace the PCM63 chips in order to play 24/96. Maybe I am missing some thing here on that upgrade you mentioned.

https://m.eet.com/media/1077950/pcm63.pdf

Huh, 20 bit DAC "only"??? That's what Schiit uses in the Yggdrasil. Gungnir is 18-bits "only". PCM63 can do up to 20bit/705.6kHz, that's what 16x oversampling means. These are real bits, not the ones claimed by Delta-Sigma architectures. It is the SPDIF intake and the digital filter in front of the PCM63 that's the bottleneck, if you swap those out with the CS8414/DF1704 upgrade kit from the Germans it shouldn't sound much worse than the Yggdrasil and comparable to the Gungnir on 24/96 material, if anything it is the ancient output stage that will hold vintage PCM63 DACs behind. The downside of the Adcom is that those chips are soldered in, so you'd have to desolder them first and put them on sockets, doable but finicky and prone to PCB damage. Parasound already has all the chips on sockets, so the swap is a 15-minute affair.

Too bad PCM63s don't support I2S, if they did a direct DIY I2S input into PCM63 would not be too big of a deal, then you could use a high-quality software-based digital filter such as those in HQPlayer or even SoX, and a DDC to feed I2S directly to PCM63s, I think the results would be magical.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #3,703 of 4,588
That pisses me off, if indeed he was 'hinting' that I bought a $250 product which does not contain the full operating instructions ... as if I am expected to look around on esoteric web forums to find out how to operate equipment that I paid for?

I guess they're assuming someone buying a Mimby will end up encountering such explanation somehow...but yeah, you have a point

Feb 3, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #3,704 of 4,588

I've heard the "leave it on" instructions are included with the Yggy, which makes sense. The reason it's probably not included with Gungnir/Bifrost (it's not in my Gungnir/Gumby manual) is because the base DAC is delta sigma, with multibit being an upgrade purchased later/separately, while Yggy has always only been a MB DAC. But yes, it's curious they don't include that with Mimby, because it's only a MB DAC, and leaving it on is pretty essential for consistent/the best SQ. I'm sure they have their reasons though.

Feb 3, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #3,705 of 4,588
I've heard the "leave it on" instructions are included with the Yggy, which makes sense. The reason it's probably not included with Gungnir/Bifrost (it's not in my Gungnir/Gumby manual) is because the base DAC is delta sigma, with multibit being an upgrade purchased later/separately, while Yggy has always only been a MB DAC. But yes, it's curious they don't include that with Mimby, because it's only a MB DAC, and leaving it on is pretty essential for consistent/the best SQ. I'm sure they have their reasons though.

Multibit versions have their own manuals, however. Sure, based on the respective D/S versions of the DACs, but you find a Mimby/Bimby/Gumby manual in the box. So yeah, mentioning it wouldn't be a bad idea after all, especially for the high-tier DACs requiring many hours to be enjoyed at their best

Users who are viewing this thread

Back