Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Feb 19, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #2,356 of 4,588
I ordered an Asus SPDIF output add on card. Just install it in an empty pci slot in your case and plug the header cable into your motherboard. I put mine right below my bottom video card but you can put it anywhere as it doesn't plug directly into the motherboard like a normal add on card, it has a 6 inch cable.

Ah, I see. That's what I thought but wanted to ask. My mobo has a built in spdif output that i use so I'm already good to go. Enjoy!

Feb 19, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #2,357 of 4,588
While I am waiting on the arrival of the Singxer SU-1 DDC I am using the toslink connection out of my Asus Pro Gamer motherboard and I have to say it sounds pretty good.  I have a fairly thick 2m toslink cable that I am using but was still a little bit hesitant because of some of the negative things I have heard about the toslink connections on most PC motherboards.  So far I am pleasantly surprised and am now very curious about how the USB / SPDIF conversion of the SU-1 will compare to the onboard toslink.

Feb 19, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #2,358 of 4,588
While I am waiting on the arrival of the Singxer SU-1 DDC I am using the toslink connection out of my Asus Pro Gamer motherboard and I have to say it sounds pretty good.  I have a fairly thick 2m toslink cable that I am using but was still a little bit hesitant because of some of the negative things I have heard about the toslink connections on most PC motherboards.  So far I am pleasantly surprised and am now very curious about how the USB / SPDIF conversion of the SU-1 will compare to the onboard toslink.

What model motherboard do you have? Is it the Z97 pro-gamer? If so, you have a s/pdif header on your motherboard that will let you use coax s/pdif with the little $13 add on card I posted above. A comparison between your motherboard toslink and coax against the singxer would be great information.

Feb 19, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #2,359 of 4,588
Schiit has been pretty clear that it considers coaxial>optical>USB. I'm connecting the Mimby with coaxial from my Blu-ray player and optical from my TV for movies and TV, but my music source is Tidal HiFi on my laptop, which only has a USB output. My budget doesn't extend very far after a recent spending spree:  Mimby, Magni 2 Uber, Hifiman 400i, Sennheiser IE 80 iems, and a few associated cables. However, I see some pretty cheap devices (i.e. Behringer 202) that can take a USB input and output optical. Would this, at least theoretically, provide any improvement on a direct USB connection to the Mimby?

Feb 19, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #2,360 of 4,588
Try USB, it could/should be just fine for your situation.

Schiit has been pretty clear that it considers coaxial>optical>USB. I'm connecting the Mimby with coaxial from my Blu-ray player and optical from my TV for movies and TV, but my music source is Tidal HiFi on my laptop, which only has a USB output. My budget doesn't extend very far after a recent spending spree:  Mimby, Magni 2 Uber, Hifiman 400i, Sennheiser IE 80 iems, and a few associated cables. However, I see some pretty cheap devices (i.e. Behringer 202) that can take a USB input and output optical. Would this, at least theoretically, provide any improvement on a direct USB connection to the Mimby?

Try USB, it could/should be just fine for your situation.

Get use to that, then if you want to spend, sure this is head -Fi

IMHO,
r2

Feb 19, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #2,361 of 4,588
  However, I see some pretty cheap devices (i.e. Behringer 202) that can take a USB input and output optical. Would this, at least theoretically, provide any improvement on a direct USB connection to the Mimby?

Very unlikely, as their own USB interface is about the same or worse than that in the Mimby. If your laptop has a PCMCIA slot you can try an add-on card with SPDIF output, there are a couple of options available for cheap on the used market.

Feb 19, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #2,362 of 4,588
What model motherboard do you have? Is it the Z97 pro-gamer? If so, you have a s/pdif header on your motherboard that will let you use coax s/pdif with the little $13 add on card I posted above. A comparison between your motherboard toslink and coax against the singxer would be great information.

Z170 Pro Gaming.  I actually opened up my PC today to install a new 2TB HDD and do some dust removal and was unable to locate a SPDIF header.  Either this model doesn't have the header or I just overlooked it.

Feb 19, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #2,364 of 4,588
  Z170 Pro Gaming.  I actually opened up my PC today to install a new 2TB HDD and do some dust removal and was unable to locate a SPDIF header.  Either this model doesn't have the header or I just overlooked it.

It should have one. If you try it out, let us know if there is any noticeable difference to the audio quality, try not to make a placebo happen though

Feb 19, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #2,365 of 4,588

You are correct, on asus' website there is no S/PDIF header listed under "internal i/o"

Feb 19, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #2,366 of 4,588

I mean that both the Schiit Modi Multibit and SMSL M8 retail for ~$250. I made no statements regarding how the M8 is regarded nor do I make any judgments one way or the other. Why do you bring that up in reference to my post?

It does have that retail price, but you can get it most days, brand new, for far under that. That is essentially its price. You cannot get the mimby any less than 250, brand new.

Anyways, mimby beats M8. It was a good dac. I've read where people claim schiit dacs just destroy the M8, and they do not. They are, however, a little better in all regards, from what I can tell. I still have my M8 as it happens, so at some point it would be interesting to go back to it. I have no doubts of the winner, but I do wonder if the M8 has anything at all over the mimby. And I say that I wonder, and I do, but again, very little doubt that mimby is better. 

I will say, as others have, that cymbals do not really have a lifelike sound, but that could be any number of things. Also the more I think about it, I just played a concert with cymbals directly behind me, and I doubt that anything can really reproduce that sound. Of course if it's the hearing damage aspect you're going for, I'm sure plenty of equipment can reproduce that just fine.

Feb 19, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #2,367 of 4,588
  It does have that retail price, but you can get it most days, brand new, for far under that. That is essentially its price. You cannot get the mimby any less than 250, brand new.

Anyways, mimby beats M8. It was a good dac. I've read where people claim schiit dacs just destroy the M8, and they do not. They are, however, a little better in all regards, from what I can tell. I still have my M8 as it happens, so at some point it would be interesting to go back to it. I have no doubts of the winner, but I do wonder if the M8 has anything at all over the mimby.

Seriously? Can't you just let this go?

If you can't, what happens to the poor soul who buys the SMSL M8 for retail and then wants to sell it later? He takes a huge loss because of the sometimes available discounted price.

Where, by the way, can you buy the SMSL M8 new in the $150 to $180 range today?

Feb 20, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #2,370 of 4,588

Seriously? Can't you just let this go?

If you can't, what happens to the poor soul who buys the SMSL M8 for retail and then wants to sell it later? He takes a huge loss because of the sometimes available discounted price.

Where, by the way, can you buy the SMSL M8 new in the $150 to $180 range today?

Taobao has several sellers offering them at approximately $175.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back