Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Feb 18, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #2,341 of 4,588

That's just an assumption. I don't know either way...and neither do you. I'd much rather have coax than optical.

Not sure a way to find out. Does it really make a massive difference though?

There we go, think this was already posted

"Support for 16/20/24-bit SPDIF and I2S (Master mode) output with up to 192kHz sample rate offers easy connection of PCs to consumer electronic products such as digital decoders and speakers. The ALC1150 also features secondary SPDIF-OUT output and converter to transport digital audio output to a High Definition Media Interface (HDMI) transmitter."

Feb 18, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #2,342 of 4,588

Not sure a way to find out. Does it really make a massive difference though?

Does what make a difference? The quality of the SPDIF interface? Of course it does. Optical has more issues than coax. So yes, that makes a difference too.

That's kind of like asking "Does the DAC make a massive difference?"

Feb 18, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #2,343 of 4,588

Does what make a difference? The quality of the SPDIF interface? Of course it does. Optical has more issues than coax. So yes, that makes a difference too.

If you ask Schiit they would say coax is better...

wink.gif

Feb 18, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #2,344 of 4,588

I meant the difference between Coax and Optical, is it a placebo or an actual noticeable difference that everyone could notice Just like some cannot notice a headphone cable change for some headphones

Feb 18, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #2,345 of 4,588
Can anyone compare mimby to gumby with detail interested to find out

Feb 18, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #2,346 of 4,588
Recently acquired the Modi Multibit, been impressed so far.  Also really like hooking it up to the iPad.  A huge chunk of the music I listen to is streamed through Apple Music, and so whether using the Mac or the iPad wouldn't seem to make a difference quality wise.  Sound quality seems a bit more cohesive and natural than the internal DAC of the Jotunheim, which I also found to be really good.  However, I thought the internal DAC, despite being balanced, was a step behind the Dragonfly Red.

Feb 18, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #2,351 of 4,588
  I am interested in upgrading my DAC and the Mimby is an intriguing product. I have been off head fi for a while and out of the loop. I have a Bottlehead Crack + HD650. I was looking at the Bifrost a few years ago but decided to get off the forums and enjoy listening. But I'm back now, looking to upgrade.

Current DAC is a Nuforce Icon HD (retired product) that is a $200 DAC/Amp. It's a value product, I doubt anyone will have experience with it, but I am wondering if the Mimby is a big enough upgrade. I have no doubt it's better, but I do not plan on changing anything else in my system for a very long time after DAC upgrade. Should I be looking at a Bimby, or is the Mimby that good? Will multibit change my life? :-D So many positive remarks and thoughts in this thread... thanks in advance. 

I just hooked my Mimby up tonight after the FedEx driver dropped it off today.  Even with just a smattering of songs across several different albums I can tell you that it is making my music sound fuller, deeper and more layered than I have ever heard it.  It's also done something to the soundstage that I haven't quite wrapped my head around yet in that it now feels like the music is all around me instead of coming out of a flat plane in front of me.  I'm honestly pretty blown away for $250.

Feb 18, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #2,353 of 4,588
You know what, I forget that I have it fed through the Schit Wyrd.  My fault for not mentioning this.  So, yes, I have it fed through a powered USB hub.  I haven't tried it without the Wyrd either, but thought I had read others saying it worked regardless.  But I could be totally wrong. 

Feb 18, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #2,355 of 4,588
What exactly did you do and why? I might want to do something similar with my pc. :D

I ordered an Asus SPDIF output add on card. Just install it in an empty pci slot in your case and plug the header cable into your motherboard. I put mine right below my bottom video card but you can put it anywhere as it doesn't plug directly into the motherboard like a normal add on card, it has a 6 inch cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back