icon10.gif
good man I might just try out the firefox plugin later

Nov 2, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #17 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
great job clieOS
icon10.gif
good man I might just try out the firefox plugin later

Been using ClieOS' plug-in for about an hour now, and let's just say that this is something way overdue.

Nov 2, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #18 of 94
Who needs the search function, just be original =D

Haha, I try to use the search function for ideas I think are pretty general, but sometimes I just have the feeling that it is an unfounded idea that I must profess upon the community and bypass that labor.

EDIT: I just got Clie's plugin. Wow sir, you are a genius. Much overdue, very useful. Much Thanks <3

Dave

Nov 2, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #19 of 94
Thanks everyone. I just tested the plug-in on IE7 and it works. Cheer.

Nov 2, 2008 at 6:50 AM Post #20 of 94
I usually don't use the search feature. However, I do tend to use google to search for "Insert headphone" "Head-fi". Which usually gets me some good results.

Nov 2, 2008 at 8:24 AM Post #21 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but is there any reason you didn't just post your variation/question in one of the pre-existing threads? I mean I myself try and pop my head into them every few days and try and give a little, but I just couldn't be bothered looking at all of them

I'm not sure this is a great idea, actually. Thread-highjacking, right? Detracts from the OP mostly. Thins get messy. That was the problem with someone's recent attempt to make an ultimate noob IEM thread of something.

Nov 3, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #22 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure this is a great idea, actually. Thread-highjacking, right? Detracts from the OP mostly. Thins get messy. That was the problem with someone's recent attempt to make an ultimate noob IEM thread of something.

in general I would have to agree with you; but with the 'which IEM under $200" or which portable amp under XXX or any of the threads that are designed more as a general resource than to answer a specific question. if you listen to a different style of music or are using a different player or something like that then I see no reason why you can pose a related question. especially in threads like that because the OP has more than likely been satisfied long ago. and in the 17 IEMs reviewed and compared and ditto with amps any related questions are unlikey to derail the thread. just my 0.02. my main point is exactlt what the OP says. us head-fiers are so prolific that if you have a question regarding synergy of 2 bits of kit or something related to the performance of product X, it has more than likely been answered before somewhere. of course with new products this doesn't work but give us a week and boom!!!!! there it is.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 3, 2008 at 5:21 AM Post #24 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
normally i search via google too. why ask when google can answer it? haha.

btw, check "Similar Threads" at the bottom of this page. how silly is this...

LMAO
darthsmile.gif
that is absolutely hilarious and deliciously ironic sir; I hadn't noticed that

Nov 3, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #25 of 94
I use the search function extensively, but there are times when nobody quite has the same questions as me. Then I have to piece together opinions from multiple threads. I don't plan on upgrading anything soon, so I havent bothered to start a new thread. Most of the time I just continue to passively read around until I get my answer. That being said, I have wasted LOTS of time on here.

Mar 10, 2009 at 11:35 AM Post #27 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The other problem is, searching is a skill

This is a good point not to be underestimated. I remember many occasions in the past where people have told me they cant find any details on XYZ and I have pulled up pages instantly.

Some people just don't know how to do it. This is greatly helped by Google's 'Did you mean' feature but still an issue for many. It really astounds me how people don't think of adding or removing dashes from a product name they are searching for to get more results. Also I know that some just type in full (and often obscure) sentences, less is definitely more.

Mar 10, 2009 at 12:00 PM Post #28 of 94
I always search first, but thanks alot for the tip on how to use site:head-fi.org!

Mar 10, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #30 of 94
I usually conduct searches to find my answers, which is why I don't have as many posts. I'm confident that with the number of members of this site, someone must have answered a question like mine before. (For example, before clicking on this thread, I was wondering whether the PFEs would be good workout phones. I conducted a search and.... viola! Question asked & answered.)

Now, if there was a thread bump limit, would that prevent the numerous posts on threads like "post pictures of your portable rig"? Don't get me wrong. I really like those threads. I've flipped through almost every page of all thirteen threads. I also like the appreciation threads, but if you limit the thread bumps, would Head-fi end up with perhaps twice as many of the same threads, thus, compunding the issue?

Anyway, FWIW (an acronym I learned on Head-fi), I love this site, & this thread just provided me a new tip for conducting searches!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back