hands up who uses the search button before posting
Mar 15, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #91 of 94
OK well I think I need to add google into the equation. the main point being to SEARCH before posting, doesnt have to be through the forum search engine; just make an effort before asking others to make the effort for you

Mar 16, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #92 of 94
I agree that more people need to learn to use the search function, but I do think that threads that ask "What earphone recommendations are there for a budget under $XX?" do have some value because what's available changes over time.

That being said, I think there should be rules or standards in place for when such a question is asked. I've seen too many threads that start with the OP providing no information on what sound they're looking for or what they'll be using their headphones with. Maybe a sort of template for those kinds of threads should include:

1) Sound Source (Ipod, Zune, Cd Player, etc...)
2) Amped or unamped? If so, what amp?
3) What type of music do you listen to?
4) Do you use EQ?
5) Do you prefer a more bassy sound? Mid-range? Treble? Bass quality or bass quantity?
6) Budget? (Usually mentioned by people but I'm putting it in here for the sake of completeness.)

We're all here to discuss and find out more about audio equipment and I don't think anyone here can fault someone else for wanting to know more, but a little common sense goes a long way. In threads that just ask "What sounds better than stock ipod earbuds for less than $XX?", the first few replies are usually questions asking about the points I mentioned earlier in this post.

I'm hesitant to advocate an ironclad rule, but maybe a stickied post on the front page about this and the search function may reduce the number of such threads or at least make such queries easier to answer.

Mar 16, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #94 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by fyu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nope. a good search is still needed. i saw three threads today that were just rephrasing each other.

Sad but true. Better posting standards would still allow them to be answered and off the first page faster though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back