hands up who uses the search button before posting
Mar 12, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #76 of 94
to those bashing the head-fi search.

I personally find the vbulletin search to be very very good. Its got all the options you need.
The only downside I find is the the frequency of indexing. On most forums its fine, but on a lot of fast forums it gets very frustrating.

Mar 12, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #77 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not condescending in the least. It's just that too many object to any criticism of their behaviour or advice on how it could actually be changed for their own good, and even moreso, for the good of their neighbours (in this context, fellow discussion list members).

It's a lot more about being right at all times and that it's a free world. I should be able to do what I want, when I want, and how I want. Who are you to be criticising or complaining about the behaviour of anyone here, even though it affects the whole running of things??

There are responsibilities involved in joining any community and a discussion list is very much a community as any other. No one should be offended by this piece of reality, and if any one is, he/she needs an attitude adjustment. If those responsibilities aren't lived up to, it affects all other members. One of them, is to at least, try a search for information than simply asking, probably for the <insert large number here>'th time. This will not only dilute the chances of an effective search by others, but also, leads to repetitive posting by those who are willing to assist. Not to mention the increased posting rate!

Unfortunately, this thread is more than likely to be mainly about preaching to the converted and the ones who should really be reading it are likely to not be interested.

well put indeed
jecklinsmile.gif
how do you think I added a 1000 posts since I made this thread LOL?? answering all the similar threads.... copy and paste is my friend jk
tongue.gif
but yes i'm with you on preaching to the converted; certainly doesnt seem to have made any difference, thus the popularity of this thread recently. It's truly funny, because I was just thinking about it the other day as it seemed to be getting bad again; then all of a sudden it was on page one again.

Mar 12, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #78 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh how eloquent; that's much more sophisticated. the thread was actually to let off some steam, as that particular day there was no less than 4 'which IEM under $100' threads; or was it 'which portable amp'?? I cant remember.... something sufficiently insipid on the first page no less. I like the search feature, but the more people ignore what is right in front of them, but still want us 'old farts' to help them with their request, the more I want to flame. This wasnt a flame, it was designed to hopefully wake some people up. Each time the search function is ignored (whether it be google or head-fi), it makes the proper use of the search more inadequate and dilutes the content of each specific thread as many people will just ignore it. Even moreso it means that if I or whoever does want to help; (which I do more than not), I have to wade through the seas of similar posts, usually end up ignoring most of them or sometimes even avoid a whole forum. If I see a sea of different blah questions all under one another my attention wanders. I just dont see how that even happens???
confused.gif
how does that happen?? are people realy that oblivious??

and the funny thing is that you admit how frustrating it is, but you would rather sit back and be annoyed, rather than maybe trying to make an effort to bring it to peoples attention. just how does that make me condescending?? more like pro-active

I guess I was blowin' off some steam myself. I appreciate y'all takin' issue with my comments in a civil manner.... I really do. Maybe I was just in a bad mood to begin with
smily_headphones1.gif
and although it hasn't happened to me, (probably because I search before asking anything) I would hate to ask a question and the only reply is: "use the search function". I have seen that here & elsewhere & it sorta bothers me... dunno why, maybe it shouldn't... oh well, sorry guys. I do value this forum even though I mostly lurk.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 13, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #79 of 94
Funny, if you look on the Full-Size Headphones forum, there's a new thread on the law of diminishing returns, which we just had a long thread on a week or so ago. I have this strange feeling of deja vu. I have this strange feeling of deja vu.

Mar 13, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #80 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I was blowin' off some steam myself. I appreciate y'all takin' issue with my comments in a civil manner.... I really do. Maybe I was just in a bad mood to begin with
smily_headphones1.gif
and although it hasn't happened to me, (probably because I search before asking anything) I would hate to ask a question and the only reply is: "use the search function". I have seen that here & elsewhere & it sorta bothers me... dunno why, maybe it shouldn't... oh well, sorry guys. I do value this forum even though I mostly lurk.
smily_headphones1.gif

I got it good the other day. I asked a question that I dared think was unique.

I got just that ... 'google is your friend' with a URL to follow to a thread concerning the very question. The search term used was nifty, mind you.

I felt kicked in the shins, only for a moment
very_evil_smiley.gif
, and then thanked the person. I hope the thanks was taken with the intended sincerity that went with it.
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 13, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #81 of 94
I is great!
biggrin.gif

I always use google putting at the end of the search @ headfi

Always directs me to threads in this forums. And i also use the search function here.

Mar 13, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #82 of 94
Quote:

I got it good the other day. I asked a question that I dared think was unique.

I got just that ... 'google is your friend' with a URL to follow to a thread concerning the very question. The search term used was nifty, mind you.

I felt kicked in the shins, only for a moment
very_evil_smiley.gif
, and then thanked the person. I hope the thanks was taken with the intended sincerity that went with it.
bigsmile_face.gif

lol. you think thats bad? have you tried this: LMGTFY

that makes you feel dumb

Mar 13, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #83 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

no problem man; we all have bad days; besides, the enormity of my ego means that I am impervious to any kind of slur anyway
tongue.gif

Mar 15, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #84 of 94
I agree that Google does the best job of finding specific info here.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the search function of the forum.

You can get so specific...'Denon D2000 vs Beyerdynamic DT770 - which has better bass?'

And Google wil bring you right back here with the right thread.

Forums like this are built for other stuff...discussion, community...excellent searching is not one of the strengths here. It *kinda* works...but you sir, are no Google.

Mar 15, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #85 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no problem man; we all have bad days; besides, the enormity of my ego means that I am impervious to any kind of slur anyway
tongue.gif

If you meet someone who can press your buttons, you'll see that the opposite is actually the case.
L3000.gif

Mar 15, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #88 of 94
we don't search because we save effort trying to go thru so many threads and posts.
if this is a problem there should be a FAQ sort of section for the forum.
or even search suggestions
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #89 of 94
Quote:

If you meet someone who can press your buttons, you'll see that the opposite is actually the case.
L3000.gif

touche
atsmile.gif
too true that errmm ... that is if I knew what it was like to have an enormous ego
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back