hands up who uses the search button before posting
Mar 11, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #61 of 94
For u newbees, an explanation is in order.

FREE forums like this, most of the ppl who answer your questions are not PAID employees of the site. The "old farts" time is just as valuable as yours.

Plus, all answers are OPINIONS, they are not to be taken as facts, unless the said member identifies himself to be the representative of company-X. As with all opinions, one should take in as many as possible as to weed out suspicious replies, and SEARCHing gives u the largest possible set of data to work with. As mentioned, if yer getting 10 million hits, your searching skill sucks.

Finito.

Mar 11, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #62 of 94
popcorn.gif

Mar 11, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #63 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, that post is oozing with respect! I don't care how old anyone on this forum is, or in life, you don't crap where you eat.

Yeah, HD_Dude has issues. Maybe he wasn't taught any manners. Or maybe he just got his first computer, or this is his first real participation on an internet forum, and he doesn't know much about how to search, or about basic forum etiquette or courtesy (which is one of the reasons one should use the search function in the first place). Oh well, it takes all kinds.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 11, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #65 of 94
shigezo I like the taste of humour of yours xD

as for what is my opinion on this matter.
yeah, a whole bunch of threads with almost exactly the same names, and they're even on the same first page...
well mostly on other forums, you got your hands chopped off for things like these.. which I think is a bit rude. I like the this peaceful forum, I think 99% of the members hare are just honest good audioaddicts.

but really, this thread about exaclty or almost the same thing appears on the same day, on the same page.... well just.... not really smart.

Mar 12, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #66 of 94
I use the search on most occasions prior to a query. If I think the query is super specific and very personal, I'll not use the search.

However, I've been preferring the Google search, rather than the one that was provided before.

Mar 12, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #67 of 94
I don't use it unless I want to search for something.....Then it doesn't find what I search for I put in bannas....nothing pops up. Ever since I've ceased all usage...so the answer for me is no...........and that ends my post i'm going to google.
wink.gif

Mar 12, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #68 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmithepa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For u newbees, an explanation is in order.

FREE forums like this, most of the ppl who answer your questions are not PAID employees of the site. The "old farts" time is just as valuable as yours.

Plus, all answers are OPINIONS, they are not to be taken as facts, unless the said member identifies himself to be the representative of company-X. As with all opinions, one should take in as many as possible as to weed out suspicious replies, and SEARCHing gives u the largest possible set of data to work with. As mentioned, if yer getting 10 million hits, your searching skill sucks.

Finito.

This thread was condescending from the get go, then 3 pages of mostly pile on until someone spoke up with an opposing opinion. Granted, it was rather harsh, "old farts" and what not. I wouldn't have phrased it that way but it did inspire me to reply. People who don't search "properly" may be annoying and I "get" that but when a user or group of users start preaching, lecturing and flaming other users from atop mount Olympus for not living up to their standards for internet forum usage, it's MORE annoying, IMO. Oh.. and that's coming from someone who actually uses the search function.

What a useless thread. Old ladies would have been more appropriate.

Oh, and if I see another PFE thread I'll probably hang myself but I won't be flaming the guy who posts it
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank You so much for the FREE forum. You have done the owner and administrators proud by pointing it everyone out so eloquently.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2009 at 10:25 AM Post #70 of 94
You can never seem to win. Only the newbies are to annoy or induce members into wanting to hang themselves.

If there are any members who should be able to annoy others at times, it's those diehards with thousands of posts to their name, who choose to openly point out the apparent lack of use of the search function by new members.

It's not a useless or pointless thread simply because in your own mind, it is.

Mar 12, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #72 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by nuclearpoweredpenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just wish I didn't have to wait 30 seconds before making a second search.

Use the google search and you can do all you wish.
smily_headphones1.gif

Additionally, I think it does a better search .... for me anyways.

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #73 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread was condescending from the get go, then 3 pages of mostly pile on until someone spoke up with an opposing opinion. Granted, it was rather harsh, "old farts" and what not. I wouldn't have phrased it that way but it did inspire me to reply. People who don't search "properly" may be annoying and I "get" that but when a user or group of users start preaching, lecturing and flaming other users from atop mount Olympus for not living up to their standards for internet forum usage, it's MORE annoying, IMO. Oh.. and that's coming from someone who actually uses the search function.

What a useless thread. Old ladies would have been more appropriate.

Oh, and if I see another PFE thread I'll probably hang myself but I won't be flaming the guy who posts it
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank You so much for the FREE forum. You have done the owner and administrators proud by pointing it everyone out so eloquently.
smily_headphones1.gif

oh how eloquent; that's much more sophisticated. the thread was actually to let off some steam, as that particular day there was no less than 4 'which IEM under $100' threads; or was it 'which portable amp'?? I cant remember.... something sufficiently insipid on the first page no less. I like the search feature, but the more people ignore what is right in front of them, but still want us 'old farts' to help them with their request, the more I want to flame. This wasnt a flame, it was designed to hopefully wake some people up. Each time the search function is ignored (whether it be google or head-fi), it makes the proper use of the search more inadequate and dilutes the content of each specific thread as many people will just ignore it. Even moreso it means that if I or whoever does want to help; (which I do more than not), I have to wade through the seas of similar posts, usually end up ignoring most of them or sometimes even avoid a whole forum. If I see a sea of different blah questions all under one another my attention wanders. I just dont see how that even happens???
confused.gif
how does that happen?? are people realy that oblivious??

and the funny thing is that you admit how frustrating it is, but you would rather sit back and be annoyed, rather than maybe trying to make an effort to bring it to peoples attention. just how does that make me condescending?? more like pro-active

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #74 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and the funny thing is that you admit how frustrating it is, but you would rather sit back and be annoyed, rather than maybe trying to make an effort to bring it to peoples attention. just how does that make me condescending??

It's not condescending in the least. It's just that too many object to any criticism of their behaviour or advice on how it could actually be changed for their own good, and even moreso, for the good of their neighbours (in this context, fellow discussion list members).

It's a lot more about being right at all times and that it's a free world. I should be able to do what I want, when I want, and how I want. Who are you to be criticising or complaining about the behaviour of anyone here, even though it affects the whole running of things??

There are responsibilities involved in joining any community and a discussion list is very much a community as any other. No one should be offended by this piece of reality, and if any one is, he/she needs an attitude adjustment. If those responsibilities aren't lived up to, it affects all other members. One of them, is to at least, try a search for information than simply asking, probably for the <insert large number here>'th time. This will not only dilute the chances of an effective search by others, but also, leads to repetitive posting by those who are willing to assist. Not to mention the increased posting rate!

Unfortunately, this thread is more than likely to be mainly about preaching to the converted and the ones who should really be reading it are likely to not be interested.

Mar 12, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #75 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not condescending in the least. It's just that too many object to any criticism of their behaviour or advice on how it could actually be changed for their own good, and even moreso, for the good of their neighbours (in this context, fellow discussion list members).

It's a lot more about being right at all times and that it's a free world. I should be able to do what I want, when I want, and how I want. Who are you to be criticising or complaining about the behaviour of anyone here, even though it affects the whole running of things??

There are responsibilities involved in joining any community and a discussion list is very much a community as any other. No one should be offended by this piece of reality, and if any one is, he/she needs an attitude adjustment. If those responsibilities aren't lived up to, it affects all other members. One of them, is to at least, try a search for information than simply asking, probably for the <insert large number here>'th time. This will not only dilute the chances of an effective search by others, but also, leads to repetitive posting by those who are willing to assist. Not to mention the increased posting rate!

Unfortunately, this thread is more than likely to be mainly about preaching to the converted and the ones who should really be reading it are likely to not be interested.

Well put.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back