Hand Built Grado Cans
Aug 10, 2012 at 2:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

markutis

New Head-Fier
I recently purchased 3 different sets of headphones from eBay - some Grados 60's, 80's, and 80i's.

I have been the proud owner of SR325is for a year now, and love them very much.

My question is this:

I completely dismantled the 80i's with the intention of hand making wood cans for the drivers to go in. Can anyone recommend some good tone wood that would sound the best?

I've read a lot about mahogany and ebony as good choices.

Has anyone gone down this route with "sound" as their primary objective? 

I know the fine gentleman at headphile.com is a true artist, but I don't know if he's taken into account sound as his motivating factor.

Any suggestions are welcome. This is my first post, so please, be gentle:)

Thanks!

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #4 of 11
Well, here is the progress on the project in photo form:

The Mahogany Cans:

The Supplies:

The Work Space:

Supplies:

SR80i Drivers
Stripped Grado Headband
Canare Mini Quad (1.5m)
RCA connectors for cans (maybe will use them, maybe not)
Heat Shrink
Neutrik 1/8" terminal

Sep 13, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #5 of 11
Looks like you're making a good job with those wood cups, i know first hand how tricky they can be as i'm making a set myself right now, except i have a pair of magnum drivers to go in mine. If you're interested, my build diary is at http://www.head-fi.org/t/626114/diy-woody-grado-symphones-magnums-a-build-diary

Mar 27, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #7 of 11
I've made some progress!

They're all wired up, and currently borrowing my 325is headband. I'm making a leather headband for them - a black and brown two tone which is going to look SWEET - pictures to follow.

They sound amazing. I'm still trying to decide on what to make the grills out of - I'm thinking black, to go with the black and gold/brown theme.

Mar 31, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #10 of 11
You don't want the wood to make any sound, you want to be as neutral as possible.There's a misconception about this, wood is good for musical instruments that have to produce a certain sound, timbre and tone.Using wood adds vibration and smears the sound and cuts down the dynamics of the music

Apr 1, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #11 of 11
Very nice work, let us know how they sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back