Han Solo will shoot first
May 4, 2006 at 1:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

imported_Echo_

500+ Head-Fier
THIS IS DEAD SERIOUS, NOT A PRANK

USA Today will publish the article tomorrow, but Dave Colton gave an early notice online:

Quote:

This was just posted on the Classic Horror Film Board by David Colton, editor of USA TODAY:

Original Star Wars back: Han Solo shoots first! (Again...) We're reporting tomorrow that Lucas is releasing the three ORIGINAL Star Wars films -- without the digital tweaks and effects -- on DVD after all. And, once again, Han Solo will be shown shooting first.

I had a bit of this wrong in the original posting, so lemme try again:

-- As we all know, in the original STAR WARS, Han Solo pulls his gun and shoots Greedo in the Cantina scene.

-- When the film was restored and digitally tweaked for a new theatrical run, Lucas added a moment where Greedo fires first, misses, and then Solo shoots Greedo. As if it was self-defense.

-- Fans objected, and when the film hit DVD in 2004, Lucas tweaked it yet AGAIN, and this time Solo and Greedo shot simultaneously.

-- In the upcoming DVD (due in September), the original scene is back. Greedo warns about Jabba, Solo tries to wave him off and then pulls his gun and shoots Greedo dead.

By the way, the story says the transfer of the 'original' version will not be as pristine and scrubbed as the restored DVDs. In fact, at one point there was talk the originals no longer existed.

Anyhow, once we publish (in USA TODAY), tomorrow, I'll post the entire story

You can Google the message board... I'm afraid posting a direct link will kill their server.

May 4, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #2 of 57
THE ORIGINALS.....ON DVD. The nerd in me....is....coming out.....

[size=xx-large]OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG THE ORIGINALS OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG[/size]

May 4, 2006 at 1:59 AM Post #3 of 57
<random cursing in background>

I KNEW IT

You know, I'm mildly pissed off now. I only bought the SE DVDs because Lucas swore that the originals would never be released to DVD, and now he does it. Frigging money grubber.

May 4, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #4 of 57
"I sense something... a feelingI've not felt since........"

Insert dancing face here!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #5 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
"I sense something... a feeling I've not felt since........"

Insert dancing face here!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

LOL!
tongue.gif

I see your schwartz is as big as mine.

May 4, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #6 of 57
How 'bout lucas remix and remaster the music score and than re-release the originals the music really need more spirit its sounds like its stuck in a time zone, it needs to be alive, that's the only thing that really brings out the difference between the originals and the prequels. THE NEW HOPE FAN FARE NEEDS TO OPEN UP A CAN'AWHOOPASS ON THE PREQUELS!!! Enough energy to blast the prequels back to the past!

May 4, 2006 at 2:23 AM Post #7 of 57
I watched the trilogy on a VHS box set a guy at work loaned me. Are we talking about a scene in a bar, where hans solo draws his blaster and shoots some guy under the table without warning, and then pays the bartender and apologizes for making a mess? Or some other scene?

May 4, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #9 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin
Frigging money grubber.

Exactly - all that BS about how the new versions were "the films he meant to make" had me convinced he was more concerned with satisfying his own screwy artistic vision than pleasing his fans/making money. Now it's obvious that he couldn't give two squats either way and is only after the cash. Not that I blame him... well, maybe a little for all the BS.

Strategically it's a brilliant move though, and you've got to give him credit.

May 4, 2006 at 2:29 AM Post #10 of 57
i hope they do a better job on the originals than the transfer of the special edition dvd's (which i never bought). this should put a big dent in bootleg sw dvd's on ebay.

if it's true, i'm there. next, maybe a criterion "star wars" dvd, pre-"a new hope" print? please?

May 4, 2006 at 3:07 AM Post #15 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
I see your schwartz is as big as mine.

Lol, nice.

I'll keep an eye out for the release date on this one. I'm sure all the Best Buy employees are looking forward to having to point out the differences to the uninformed when they see multiple versions sitting next to each other on the shelf.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back