Hamburger War? in UT?
Aug 14, 2009 at 11:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Ashkii21

100+ Head-Fier
I found this article interesting, because I went to college in Utah.
ksl.com - Burger war about to heat up in Provo

I really do like In-N-Out, it is one of the places where I can get a single hamburger without onions and have it wrapped in lettuce (Protein-style).
atsmile.gif
It is also pretty good for under $2. There are some In-N-Out stores here in AZ.
I've also had five guys when I lived on the east coast and it was good.
This Chadders, to me, seems like a knock off of In-N-Out.

Aug 15, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #2 of 9
Would love to se a burger war over here as well.
Cause to get a decent burger we have to shell out 8-10$, which is a bit over the top.

Aug 15, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashkii21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This Chadders, to me, seems like a knock off of In-N-Out.

There's often more similarity between burger joints than not. We've got quite a few around LA and it'd be hard to call one a knockoff of the others - they have a lot in common. Though each has its own unique qualities and we're lucky that a lot of them are excellent.

My favorites are Tommy's and The Apple Pan.

Aug 15, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #4 of 9
It's all about that Culver's! I know that California doesn't have any, but they are wonderful.

Aug 15, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #5 of 9
I think 5 Guys is probably the best burger joint in my area, followed closely by Fat Burger. 5 Guys is a little tastier, has better tasting fries imho, and offers grilled mushrooms and onions as a topping. Fat Burger is more expensive but you can get an egg on your burger, and if you're really hungry, you can get a triple king burger, which is 1.5 pounds of meat
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 15, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #6 of 9
I grew up in provo, and live a few miles from it now, but I've never been to this "chadders".

From what i hear, it's a shameless ripoff of in-n-out.

"5 guys" has been expanding through utah pretty rapidly and i agree that it's pretty good, though i don't understand what the big idea with bread & butter pickles is, and i think their mushrooms are some sort of prank.

We have a weird fast food dynamic in the provo/orem area because there's a culture built up over the last several decades where there are always a dozen or so trust fund kids attending the BYU school of business management who have their parents set them up with a small business somewhere in town - usually a new business - and then theoretically sell it when they graduate.

And some fraction of them are in the franchise restaurant business. We always have a few oddball chains we've never heard of popping up and going out of business.

We had a Jerry's for a few years. I never ate there.

Down the road from me a bit is an "ez take-out" burger franchise. I was curious, so i tried it, and it was terrible. I tried it again a few weeks later and it was worse. I'm astounded that they're still in business. Probably some privileged kid burning through his inheritance who hasn't gotten to the section in business school where they tell you that if your product is horrible you won't have any repeat business or word-of-mouth advertising.

Edit: Just looked up the location of the Provo "chadder's". It's a block north of where i went to highschool. I've seen a lot of businesses fail in that location, including a sub shop that was pretty ok. Also, that school was torn down last year and isn't coming back. It's near a lot of low-income rental property, and a few blocks from BYU, so the numbers look good on paper - it's just that most businesses that have been in that building don't exist anymore.

Aug 16, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #7 of 9
Reminds me of a fast food place named "Iowa Castle" that recently went under near where I live. It was a blatant knockoff of White Castle and I guess they were hoping no one would notice since there aren't any White Castles in the state.

Aug 17, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #8 of 9
One of my sisters lives in Provo. She said that she ate at Chadders and she said it was good. In fact she said that she prefers Chadders over In-N-Out. I haven't been to Chadders, maybe when I go back up to Utah I'll have to try it. But for now In-N-Out is what I like.
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back