Halp me create my shortlist.
Jun 13, 2012 at 9:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

talisman42

500+ Head-Fier
Hi Head-fiers! despite my experience with various audio gear - it's been very limited to IEMs. Through experimentation and knowledge gained here, I think I'm ready to ask for your recommendations. I've already (and still in the process) gone through lots of trial and error to discover my personal tastes and I hope to invest in a full-size headphone within a couple weeks. My budget is around $300.  A characterisic I'd like to avoid is emphasis on mid-bass hump. I do, however, enjoy smooth lows.. While I like sparkling highs (those who know the TF10 know what I mean - and I love the TF10) I have very little tolerance for sibilance which I've experienced on occasion with the Westone 3 iem. I hope that this gives a glimpse of my preferences.

Jun 13, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
Ignore him, he appears to be a spammer (all of his posts mention that website).

What kind of music do you listen to?
What will you be driving these out of? (ie pc, cellphone, mp3 player, etc.)
Is portability a concern?

ha! thanks for the your first recommendation for ignoring the previous post.

I have the fiio e17. I enjoy wide genre of music... I enjoy today's pop/hip pop,  classical (baroque / cello, guitar), artists like Eva Cassidy, and various scores from Hans Zimmer type songs. I'm always learning to appreciate more music styles. Portability is not a major concern - most likely be using iems for my daily work commute. Do these come with decent carrying cases if I wanted to put them in a backpack?

Jun 22, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Hi Head-fiers! despite my experience with various audio gear - it's been very limited to IEMs. Through experimentation and knowledge gained here, I think I'm ready to ask for your recommendations. I've already (and still in the process) gone through lots of trial and error to discover my personal tastes and I hope to invest in a full-size headphone within a couple weeks. My budget is around $300.  A characterisic I'd like to avoid is emphasis on mid-bass hump. I do, however, enjoy smooth lows.. While I like sparkling highs (those who know the TF10 know what I mean - and I love the TF10) I have very little tolerance for sibilance which I've experienced on occasion with the Westone 3 iem. I hope that this gives a glimpse of my preferences.

After reading many posts, I'm still finding it difficult to narrow down my selection. I think I know which cans are capable of warm presentation, but which ones will be smooth? In other words, which ones will have no mid-bass hump - but still have smooth deep bass? Any open back cans that fit this criteria?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back