halle berry at the oscars.. painful, but...
Mar 26, 2002 at 6:25 PM Post #31 of 64
The Oscars and the Grammys are a collossal waste of time and electricity. One big glamorous ego trip over something (movies and bad music) which is a man-made thing to begin with. Leave it to egotistical humans to create things that have no effect on the world, then give themselves awards for "the best". And leave it to people with no lives to actually sit through this garbage and believe it actually matters.

When dopes like Halle Berry and Oprah Winfrey get all emotional over something so trivial and useless, it boggles the mind when you compare to something of so much significance such as the Sept 11 terrorist attacks. The victims families must be totally disgusted.

Mar 26, 2002 at 6:46 PM Post #32 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle
When dopes like Halle Berry and Oprah Winfrey get all emotional over something so trivial and useless, it boggles the mind when you compare to something of so much significance such as the Sept 11 terrorist attacks. The victims families must be totally disgusted.

Am I the only one who thinks it's funny to see this said on a forum dedicated to headphone enthusiasts?
smily_headphones1.gif

It's important to get caught up in the little things in life. It's what makes life worth living.

Mar 26, 2002 at 7:00 PM Post #33 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly

Am I the only one who thinks it's funny to see this said on a forum dedicated to headphone enthusiasts?
smily_headphones1.gif

It's important to get caught up in the little things in life. It's what makes life worth living.

Little things yes, other peoples indulgences and ego trips, no.

People get self gratification with headphones. I don't think anybody gets self gratification or pleasure watching a bunch of foppish millionaires battling it out for the most attention.

Mar 26, 2002 at 7:17 PM Post #34 of 64
Well, part of being human, is assigning value to otherwise meaningless things.

Besides, BEAGLE, being that she had just won the first oscar for a black woman in the year 2002 is pretty damn significant... AND PRETTY DAMN ****TY to boot. I mean, 2002???? Wasn't the civil rights movement like 30 years ago?? I KNOW there have been hundreds of wonderful performances by black actresses and it takes them until 2002 to finally get recognized!! ID BE PRETTY EMOTIONAL if I was Halle Berry as well.

Believe it or not there is life beyond september 11th.

Mar 26, 2002 at 7:46 PM Post #35 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by ai0tron
Besides, BEAGLE, being that she had just won the first oscar for a black woman in the year 2002 is pretty damn significant... AND PRETTY DAMN ****TY to boot. I mean, 2002???? Wasn't the civil rights movement like 30 years ago?? I KNOW there have been hundreds of wonderful performances by black actresses and it takes them until 2002 to finally get recognized!! ID BE PRETTY EMOTIONAL if I was Halle Berry as well.

Actually, Ms. Berry's was not the first acting Oscar to go to a black woman. Hattie McDaniel won a best supporting actress Oscar for her work in Gone With the Wind way back in 1940. Halle Berry's Oscar is the first for a black woman in a leading role.

I really don't think the Academy was all that averse to giving Oscars to African Americans -- Denzel Washington, Sidney Poitier, and Louis Gossett Jr have all won Oscars previously, and that's just off the top of my head. I think the big problem has been that there weren't very many good roles available to or offered to African Americans in the past. How many movies can you think of in which the female lead was black?

In any case, many actors and actresses have become emotional when accepting Oscars. Halle wasn't the first and won't be the last.

Mar 26, 2002 at 8:10 PM Post #36 of 64
while we are on such an important subject, i have to ask:

what the hell happened to jennifer connelly's boobs??
it looks like she had them removed and implanted into uma thurman.

before: big and beautiful
jconnely8.jpg

after: how am i supposed to bury my head between those and make motorboat noises?!?
ogallery-arr.jpg

i'm hoping it is just an optical illusion.

Mar 26, 2002 at 8:33 PM Post #37 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
what the hell happened to jennifer connelly's boobs??
it looks like she had them removed and implanted into uma thurman.

No comment on Connelly. As for Uma, she's been um, 'gifted' for a long time. Terry Gilliam didn't pick her to play Venus way back in 1988 in The Adventures of Baron Munchausen for nothing. See also Dangerous Liaisons.

Mar 27, 2002 at 4:53 AM Post #38 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
Unless you are up for an award yourself, I can't for the life of me think of a good reason to even care about who wins these things.

L, even Woody Allen (who is famous for not caring about these things) made it. Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
Mark, maybe a headphone internet forum isn't the best place to try to pick up chicks.

I don't think his point was that he wanted chicks to be on this forum so that he can pick them up, I think his point was that it would be nice to have women's input on some of this subject matter. I don't know about you, but in real life, I prefer to hang out with women. Not because I'm trying to pick them up, I'm just not a "Man's Man". (Or maybe it is, and that's just me -- Mark?) Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
still, it was worth it to see cameron diaz's nipples.

Really? I couldn't. I need to get better reception next time...dagnabit...although, it's not like I've never seen them before...

BTW, WRT JC -- one word: wonderbra.

Mar 27, 2002 at 5:13 AM Post #39 of 64
I agree with Dusty; women and their input are good things in general, regardless of picking em up or not. In truth though, we cannot realistically hope to see lots of women here. Of all the numerous women I know, virtually none of them care about headphones or even music technology in general. Most women members would probably be like Carmen from a few weeks ago; sign up, ask a question about a headphone or ask advice on a specific need, get an answer, make the real world purchase and then skedaddle. All well and good...

As for JC, I have admired her for many years; she was in my ex-girlfriend's graduating class from an all girls Catholic HS in Brooklyn, and she was hot even then. I can attest that there is no need for a Wonderbra now or in the past. She is naturally well endowed. As for the picture Redshifter mentions, I am assuming it's just the angle or maybe she's using a breast size reducing bra. Now that she's a _serious_ actress, large boobs may reduce her marketability for future quality roles. Look at Pamela Lee whatshername; look at Barb Wire. Umm, maybe you shouldn't look after all...
biggrin.gif

Mar 27, 2002 at 5:23 AM Post #40 of 64
Quote:

The more important part is resisting doing so.

Mar 27, 2002 at 5:50 AM Post #41 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by delenda est Sony
I can attest that there is no need for a Wonderbra now or in the past.

No, I saw what he was talking about, she didn't look as large as that in any of the scenes that I saw her at the Oscars. Must've been that other thing you were talking about.

Not that I was examining or anything.

It's just that...I think I would have remembered, if she had looked anything like that first picture, which she didn't.

Not that it matters. (It's quality, not quantity.)

Mar 27, 2002 at 11:27 AM Post #42 of 64
I'm not anti-women or anything... well, practically speaking, I'm just suggesting that if you really want to "hang out with women", a headphone enthusiast forum probably isn't the best place to do that. In other words, I don't think it's because we made a crude remark or two about some actress at the Oscars that there aren't more women here... to hang out with, to pick up, whatever you call it.

Mar 27, 2002 at 11:42 AM Post #43 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
Don't tell me you don't like John Q. either. :raises eye brows"

John Q blew chunks. It's a t.v. movie grade script with a whole lot of high power talent. Why they all signed up for this turkey, I don't know. I guess it's nice to have a third Ferrari...

Mar 27, 2002 at 2:34 PM Post #44 of 64
Perhaps all those deep thinking Hollywood stars are gravely concerned about the managed care crisis in healthcare and thought some lame contrived agitprop would help resolve the situation.
evil_smiley.gif
That and the third Ferrari of course...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 27, 2002 at 2:56 PM Post #45 of 64
Quote:

Besides, BEAGLE, being that she had just won the first oscar for a black woman in the year 2002 is pretty damn significant

The award should go to the best "performance", regardless of skin color, hype, financial or moral status. Yes, I find it sad that many performances by black actors/actresses have not been rewarded, even though they certainly have been recognized by millions of moviegoers. But PC selections are also wrong. It becomes like "Oh, no black female has even won a leading role Oscar, and Oprah is in attendance, so let's give it to Halle Berry, even though she sucks as an actress. This will look good and be politically correct. The ratings will skyrocket and it will generate fodder for E.T. and Oprah".

And yes, there is life after 9/11. Unfortunately, Americans still embrace the expensive, bombastic self-indulgences that piss off other people in the world whose children are starving or being killed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back