halle berry at the oscars.. painful, but...
Mar 26, 2002 at 2:07 AM Post #18 of 64
Wow -- almost nothing but misinformation in this thread.

1. Ms. Berry has not 'gotten naked' in all of her films. In fact, she told David Letterman that she's done nudity in only two films -- Swordfish, for which she got a $250,000 bonus added to her salary for 10 seconds of toplessness; and Monster's Ball, for which she was paid less than $250,000 for the entire job.

2. She was NOT in Do the Right Thing.

3. She is not "abysmally bad" in all of her roles. In fact, she runs the full range from "abysmally bad" (Swordfish, B*A*P*S) to "good" (Jungle Fever, Losing Isaiah) to "the best performance of this, and many other years" (Monster's Ball).

4. I don't believe the Oscars are rigged, though voters are influenced quite a bit by studio campaigns and Hollywood buzz. Most people who saw Denzel Washington's work in Training Day and Halle Berry's work in Monster's Ball recognized them for what they were -- the best performances this year. People were saying this when the movies came out, and I agreed with them. Affirmative action, my ass.

Denzel should have won for his absolutely stunning work in Malcolm X too, but the Academy voters were mostly old fogies who realized that year that Al Pacino deserved something for all the great work he had done over the years, and gave him the pity vote for his mediocre work in Scent of A Woman.

5. Anyone who thinks the Golden Globe Awards are anything other than a popularity contest must be smoking something strange. (Did you actually say they were "quality-of-craft awards?????" I'm genuinely astounded.)
confused.gif

Mar 26, 2002 at 2:24 AM Post #19 of 64
Quote:

How many directors are going to cast a gorgeous woman for a serious role?

Are you kidding? Do you watch movies these days? I can't even begin to counter that -- there are some very pretty women in some very serious roles all the time. And I don't think Halle Berry is that gorgeous anyways . . .

Quote:

Ms. Berry has not 'gotten naked' in all of her films.

Quote:

She is not "abysmally bad" in all of her roles.

Did i say either of those things? No. She has done so in movies i've seen her in, with more emphasis on the "abysmally bad" than the "naked". She's never impressed me. Last thing I saw her in was Swordfish, where she jolted me out of my (considerable) suspension of disbelief every time she spoke. I call that bad acting. I'm simply calling into question her ability to earn a best actress award given that the movies that I've most recently seen her in have been X-men and Swordfish.

Quote:

Anyone who thinks the Golden Globe Awards are anything other than a popularity contest must be smoking something strange. (Did you actually say they were "quality-of-craft awards?????" I'm genuinely astounded.)

Now here is something we agree on.

Mar 26, 2002 at 2:25 AM Post #20 of 64
LOFL, I was obviously joking. Denzel Washington did freaking great in Training Day! I remember we had this discussion before, and some nut dissed the movie, what ever...

Mar 26, 2002 at 4:18 AM Post #22 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by Russ Arcuri

5. Anyone who thinks the Golden Globe Awards are anything other than a popularity contest must be smoking something strange. (Did you actually say they were "quality-of-craft awards?????" I'm genuinely astounded.)
confused.gif

Since there is no absolute truth and everything is relative, yes, I said and stand by it. I think that shows what regard I hold the academy and their awards in.

Mar 26, 2002 at 5:01 AM Post #23 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
I remember we had this discussion before, and some nut dissed the movie, what ever...

That nut was me! I still think the movie stinks and the dvd is a worthless buy, but thats my opinion
tongue.gif

Mar 26, 2002 at 5:21 AM Post #25 of 64
HOoray for Russ!!! I can finally keep my mouth shut!

And as for Denzel and Halle, well Denzel is ****in COOL. His performance was the best this year. I didnt see monsters ball so cant comment, but Halle Berry is so so very fine!!

And heh, I REALLY dont think the academy of rich white guys entertaining america would give a bunch of black people oscars unless they DESERVED IT. Affirmative Action?? OOH how imaginative of you to suggest such.
rolleyes.gif

And the oscars is still the definitive measure of a Hollywood actor.

Mar 26, 2002 at 5:38 AM Post #26 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
Don't tell me you don't like John Q. either. :raises eye brows"

Didn't waste my time and neither did moviegoer's
wink.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 26, 2002 at 5:56 AM Post #28 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by morphsci

Hmm... I thought Oscars were supposed to recognize superlative performance in your craft.

You obviously don't live anywhere near Los Angeles.

Jeff "L.A. resident" Guidry

Mar 26, 2002 at 5:33 PM Post #30 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by RMSzero
Did i say either of those things? No. She has done so in movies i've seen her in, with more emphasis on the "abysmally bad" than the "naked". She's never impressed me. Last thing I saw her in was Swordfish, where she jolted me out of my (considerable) suspension of disbelief every time she spoke. I call that bad acting. I'm simply calling into question her ability to earn a best actress award given that the movies that I've most recently seen her in have been X-men and Swordfish.

Maybe so, but you can see why I would react the way I did when your actual words were: "in every movie I've ever seen with her in it, she (a) takes off her clothes and (b) can't act AT ALL." As I pointed out, she's done nude scenes in two movies -- Swordfish and Monster's Ball. Then you mentioned that you didn't see Monster's ball. So "every movie you've ever seen her in" must = Swordfish. And I already said that I agreed she was "abysmally bad" in that movie.

The absolutely amazing thing is that she really is great in Monster's Ball. She said she had to beg the director for the role (one assumes he had seen B*A*P*S and X-Men). But the fact is that she really is capable of giving a natural and convincing performance -- anyone who had seen Jungle Fever or Losing Isaiah can testify to that. It's like there are some roles in which she's just going through the motions and others in which she actually decides to act.

As for the hit-and-run thing. I can't see holding her (admittedly childish and self-important) behavior against her when it comes to acting jobs. She's really no different in that respect than many (most?) Hollywood types. Jack Nicholson attacks some guy's car with a golf club, and it just adds to his 'persona.' Matthew Broderick kills somebody driving on the wrong side of the road in Ireland (the story is unclear as to whether he was charged with drunk driving or not) and people don't even remember or care about it now. Robert Downey Jr. is in and out of jail on a regular basis and people just don't care. Don't even get me started on musicians.

In the end, you have to be able to seperate the artist's work from their behavior outside of the studio, stage, etc. Otherwise there'd be very few actors to watch and very few musicians to listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back