Halide Design Bridge - Async USB converter
May 1, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #106 of 148
Thanks sk3383.

Nice job summarizing your findings and the improvements brought on using the Halide. It's pretty exciting that this new round of high-end converters are really starting to level the playing field with computer audio compared to standard cd-based transports. I think one could be extremely happy with any of these products such as Bridge, Evo, Audiophilleo, etc. Fun times to be a computer audiophile.

Thanks again for taking the time to organize your impressions.

May 1, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #108 of 148
I just pulled the trigger on it with two day shipping :). I'll be sure to post impressions.

Quote:
No sweat Sid-Fi, I look forward to hearing your impressions of the Audiophilleo 2. Let us know how it goes.

May 1, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #109 of 148
sk3383- Glad you are liking the halide bridge. I noticed you had a interest in the offramp4 with ultraclocks. The offramp4 with ultraclocks and paul hynes reg. is a lot better than the halide bridge. Better bass, separation, soundstage, air and detail while coming across more smooth than the halide. Its a lot of money but it was worth the improvement to me. Getting ready to order the monolith power supply for it next week. Also, dont count out where your power is coming from. I just put in a APS purepower and it made more of a difference than changing out spdif converters or tubes. I was quite shocked.

May 4, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #110 of 148
I've been eyeing this, but my worries is if I upgrade the DAC to something with asynchronous USB, this thing would be useless.  I am currently using a PS Audio Cullen Mod DAC Link III with great results.  Will this thing make me not seek a new DAC for a few years?

May 4, 2011 at 7:13 AM Post #111 of 148
Not necessarily, but you can always resell it if you don't need it anymore.

Async USB does not mean that it will equal the Bridge in performance as it is very important How it is actually implemented, what code is used etc etc.

Later on it may become less and less relevant but it is good for now (especially with "old but good" DACs which need a coaxial input)

May 4, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #112 of 148
WOW!!!

Ok I have been experimenting with different media players and output devices.

I cannot believe the differences between the media players and output devices.

I have always used Foobar but have heard great things about J River Media Center, Media Monkey and others. I installed J River Media Center and Media Monkey today. Turned off all audio processing, dsp filters, sampling and such.

Installed all output devices I could find for each player (such as KS, ASIO, DS, Wasapi)

Starting A/B'ing and have been absolutely stunned. Even though the differences are very small, some may say minute, there are in fact many differences. If your gear is resolving enough... I am sure you would hear the differences as I am speaking of.

After all my experimenting I found that the Halide Design Bridge sounds best (atleast to my ears) in Foobar with Wasapi.

I had been primarily using KS, but Wasapi sounds great with the Halide Design Bridge.

The improvment is small but makes a big difference in my stereo system, I am now pretty pleased, enough so that I am thinking of putting off trying any other converters for a while. Think I might wait another year or two to see what other improvements come about. In the past 2 years there have been huge improvements and I can picture at least one or two more huge discoveries coming to the market in the near future.

My advice, before looking for a new transport mess around with all output devices and media players and find the best one that fits your system and your taste.

This Halide Design Bridge is sounding pretty sweet now :)

May 4, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #113 of 148
Loving WASAPI with the Halide Design Bridge. Symbols, Triangles, Brass instruments have bite again while still retaining that magical midrange. Still slightly recessed but the slight difference has really helped!!

Sep 9, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #114 of 148
I've had my Bridge for a few weeks now, and I'm loving it.  I just want to say that, to me, it sounded immediately (albeit subtly) better than my unmodded hiFace.  The hiFace sounded a bit grainy and unfocused in comparison, while the Bridge also seemed to have advantages in imaging and spaciousness of the soundstage.  The hiFace may have been a little sharp in the treble, while the Bridge is more laid-back.  Needless to say, my hiFace has been sold.

The Bridge also has size and ergonomic advantages; it takes up less space than the hiFace, especially with a clunky RCA cable sticking out.  The weight of the hiFace and cable had been wearing down my USB port.

I haven't heard enough USB-SPDIF converters, but the Bridge definitely seems like it should be among the best of them under $500.  I bought from Drew at Moon Audio, who accommodated my travel plans by shipping to me overnight at no extra charge.  He also sells the Bridge for $50 less than Halide--not sure how that's possible, but I was very happy to see that.

Sep 9, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #115 of 148
I would really like to try one of these, I love the form factor and it reportedly sounds great. I wish it was either 192 k or less expensive, it would be easier to justify.

Sep 9, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #116 of 148

Quote:
I bought from Drew at Moon Audio, who accommodated my travel plans by shipping to me overnight at no extra charge.  He also sells the Bridge for $50 less than Halide--not sure how that's possible, but I was very happy to see that.

Price is actually the same: it's gone down to $395 on the Halide web site as well.

Sep 11, 2011 at 7:53 AM Post #117 of 148
Right now, I'm using the USB to S/PDIF converter from my XI-FI HD to get my iTunes library to  DAC (Sony TA-E9000ES). It sounds real good; and, I can't imagine how any other sort of conversion device could make my tunes sound better, since I can not  distinguish  computer audio from SACD direct. Still, I've been told that a USB to S/PDIF converter such as that mentioned here, as well as the $169.00 Musical Fidelity V-LINK are worth the money. O.K.; but now, what about a S/PDIF to USB converter to get digital from DAT deck, MD, or CD player to computer? I am not aware of any out there that are affordable, and actually work, without going through a maze of menu's and settings. Anything out there for a few hunded bucks or less?

Sep 11, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #118 of 148
What about a soundcard with spdif input?

Sep 11, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #119 of 148
The X-FI HD has one; but, so far, for me, it's been a bitch to  use. I've got to reset a list of settings and reboot to get it to work. There's gotta be something else out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back