Halide Design Bridge - Async USB converter
May 18, 2010 at 2:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 148

h.rav

500+ Head-Fier
I just found this interesting product, this might be the first sub $1000 converter that uses the Wavelength's async USB implementation (Streamlength). I might get one for my curiosity sake. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

biggrin.gif

http://www.halidedesign.com/bridge/design/
http://www.halidedesign.com/bridge/
Halide Design Bridge review

May 18, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #2 of 148
Very interesting device. I already mentioned it in HiFace thread. Computer Audiophile reviewer says it outperforms HiFace so it'd be interesting to audition this. Too bad that the cable length is only 6ft. Use of extension cable doesn't sound good.

May 24, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #3 of 148
Given a choice I would certainly go for the Bridge due to its elegant design. The Hiface seems to be less ideal as far as ergonomics goes for laptop users.

Besides, I can't help but to respect designers who actually bothered to explain their principles and working design behind their product.
wink.gif

May 24, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #5 of 148

Quote:

Besides, I can't help but to respect designers who actually bothered to explain their principles and working design behind their product.
wink.gif

It seems that you're suggesting that the designers of HiFace wouldn't. Maybe you've missed the white paper:

http://www.m2tech.biz/public/pdf/White%20Paper%20on%20hiFace.pdf

May 24, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #6 of 148
I'm actually saving money for it.
I've been close to buy the Hiface, but the I've seen the article on ComputerAudiophile. And I don't think is so costly, as you don't have to buy any expensive digital cable.
Hopefully we'll see more reviews and comparison soon.

May 24, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #7 of 148
Quote:
Given a choice I would certainly go for the Bridge due to its elegant design. The Hiface seems to be less ideal as far as ergonomics goes for laptop users.

wink.gif

I don't like dealing with drivers, the hiFace form factor is also my major concern.
I have ditched the hiFace and I should be getting my Bridge on the first week of June. 
biggrin.gif

May 27, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #10 of 148

Quote:
It seems that you're suggesting that the designers of HiFace wouldn't. Maybe you've missed the white paper:

http://www.m2tech.biz/public/pdf/White%20Paper%20on%20hiFace.pdf

Actually, I intended it to another manufacturer but thanks for the white paper. It's an interesting read.

Still, that dongle form factor and the need for 3rd party drivers are deal breakers for me personally.

May 28, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #12 of 148
Going by the specs and design info they present on their website there is no way I can see this competing with the Jenky Hiface.   You really can't "clean up" a USB +5V computer power to be anywhere near the specs of Jnenky's battery powered clocks. Also their "galvanic isolation" is just on the output not the input,  which most all computer transports have now days anyhow. Where is the separate RBCD clock?   I'm not saying this is a bad product just probably better to wait.  It looks like what you are paying for is Wavelngth's licensings fee  (probably costs Halide much more than the hardware.)  Of course this could only be validated by comparing the two products directly,  just saying be careful with your money on  USB transports,  there will be better and less expensive options in the next year.

May 28, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #13 of 148

Quote:
Going by the specs and design info they present on their website there is no way I can see this competing with the Jenky Hiface.   You really can't "clean up" a USB +5V computer power to be anywhere near the specs of Jnenky's battery powered clocks. Also their "galvanic isolation" is just on the output not the input,  which most all computer transports have now days anyhow. Where is the separate RBCD clock?   I'm not saying this is a bad product just probably better to wait.  It looks like what you are paying for is Wavelngth's licensings fee  (probably costs Halide much more than the hardware.)  Of course this could only be validated by comparing the two products directly,  just saying be careful with your money on  USB transports,  there will be better and less expensive options in the next year.

You made some good point there.
My purchase is mainly based on the review by ComputerAudiophile, where Chris says he prefers the Bridge to the HiFace. Maybe the modified Hiface will sound better... who knows :) The 60 days warranty is a nice policy though. 
One of the strongest point is also the lacks of drivers, so it should work with Linux as well, while there's no driver for the Hiface at the moment.

May 28, 2010 at 6:51 AM Post #14 of 148

The protocol is intriging.  No driver is a huge plus and the protocol come from some experts so you never know it could be a surprise.   We are really in interesting times for computer transports.

Quote:
You made some good point there.
My purchase is mainly based on the review by ComputerAudiophile, where Chris says he prefers the Bridge to the HiFace. Maybe the modified Hiface will sound better... who knows :) The 60 days warranty is a nice policy though. 
One of the strongest point is also the lacks of drivers, so it should work with Linux as well, while there's no driver for the Hiface at the moment.

Jun 4, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #15 of 148
My Bridge has been shipped out today, so it should be with me at the end of next week. I'll obviously keep you posted, but unfortunately I can compare it only against the optical output of my Acer Revo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back