Halide Design Bridge - Async USB converter
Dec 5, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #136 of 148
Those guys are pretty cool, thanks for the update!

Mar 29, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #137 of 148
Just got a Halide SPDIF Bridge in today.  Something is wrong.  Foobar goes haywire with it.  Massive popping and noise that suddenly pops up.  Not sure What is going on.  Playing with the buffer setting only has it just freeze up and lose lock.

Is there some other WASAPI setting I need to tweak, or is this thing defective?

The popping/clipping noise is really loud and painful.  It happens with anything played, 16bit/44.1, 24bit/48, and 24bit/96.  Popping/clipping does not happen with Direct Sound, but happens with WASAPI.  Using Win7 64bit OS and Foobar v1.01

**EDIT, nevermind.  Changing the buffer to 120ms seems to have worked.  I can even skip around without it freezing up.

-Ed

Aug 15, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #138 of 148
Well, something's definitely up with my Halide Bridge.  The USB cable is starting to spread open where it meets the main housing.

You can see the exposes wiring and shielding braid easily now.  Only a matter of time until it breaks completely.

I've sent an email to Halide Design to see if they can fix it.  Although I'd rather a micro or mini USB jack be there instead of a hardwired usb cable.  If they can't fix it for whatever reason, I'll have to see if it's feasible to open this sucker up and solder a Mini USB jack in place instead.

Although if they potted the entire enclosure inside with epoxy, then I'm pretty much screwed.  But sounds like Halide Design has pretty good customer service.

-Ed

Aug 24, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #140 of 148
Well it's been a week and no reply from Halide Design.

I have a second Halide Bridge, a one made later and with BNC rather than RCA.  And it's starting to exhibit the same problem.  So it's a flawed design to begin with, or I am extremely unlucky.  The strain relief for the USB cable is inadequate.

Either way, the Halide Bridge is extremely fragile.  It should never have been made as a single "cable" like device with a permanently attached USB cable, and should've had a Mini USB jack where the USB cable enters the main housing.  Would've made for a far more durable design and for a really portable / small design.

-Ed

*Update.  Finally got a reply from Halide Design.  They're willing to fix it out of warranty for a reasonable cost of parts and labor.

Sep 23, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #141 of 148
Received a Halide Bridge this friday, new from authorised dealer. The SPDIF housing rattles, which I wouldn't expect it to do. Fast forward 2 minutes, the mac recognizes the Brigde but it just won't work, not a sound, just the rattling. Guess I got a DOA copy.

Sep 23, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #142 of 148
With problems as noted why not consider a Musical Fidelity V-Link or even a Creative Sound Blaster X-FI HD?

Sep 26, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #143 of 148
I've just picked up a Bridge to use between a MacBook Pro and a Havana tube-buffered DAC. My intention was to get rid of the last bit of hardness in the treble range of the DAC; I had been using a good USB cable (double-stranded, made by Larry Moore of Ultra-Fi) directly. The results were not quite what I expected. The Bridge made the Havana sound more detailed, propulsive and pristine, but at the expense of the rich, gooey tone I've been getting with a direct USB cable. In comparison, it made the recordings sound more digital—thinner, tilted up, and lighter. I was quite surprised. Has anyone had a similar experience?

In Positive Feedback, Dave Clark, in his survey of SPDIF converters, suggests that async units like the Bridge have a lighter, more detailed sound, while adaptive units tend to sound weightier. Does anyone's experience bear this out?

Sep 26, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #144 of 148
That's weird, I was just thinking the other day that should be a pretty good combo. How long have you been listening to it?

Sep 26, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #145 of 148
i've had great success with my halide bridge and the bnc connector.  sound is not digital at all. lush/warm, but not muddy.   using it with an ancient hp laptop to a cary xciter amp/dac combination.  it wasn't cheap, but well worth it, to me.

Sep 27, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #148 of 148
Quote:
I've just picked up a Bridge to use between a MacBook Pro and a Havana tube-buffered DAC. My intention was to get rid of the last bit of hardness in the treble range of the DAC; I had been using a good USB cable (double-stranded, made by Larry Moore of Ultra-Fi) directly. The results were not quite what I expected. The Bridge made the Havana sound more detailed, propulsive and pristine, but at the expense of the rich, gooey tone I've been getting with a direct USB cable. In comparison, it made the recordings sound more digital—thinner, tilted up, and lighter. I was quite surprised. Has anyone had a similar experience?

In Positive Feedback, Dave Clark, in his survey of SPDIF converters, suggests that async units like the Bridge have a lighter, more detailed sound, while adaptive units tend to sound weightier. Does anyone's experience bear this out?

I like the bridge and don't think it brings much of it's own character into a setup. Remember that you're got an additional SPdif connection now and some USB DACs haven't taken as much care on those inputs. All things being equal, I like the halide but that doesn't mean it will be better in every instance since all things are seldom equal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back