hakko 936 and iron size
Jan 20, 2007 at 11:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

barqy

500+ Head-Fier
hi, i noticed for the hakko 936 there are 3 different iron sizes to choose from.

I know the tips aren't interchangable from small to large, etc.

but i am wondering for the large iron, is there a tip out there suitable for DIY audio?

i did a search and read that conical tips are the way to go but didnt specifiy a tip size.

or should i just not bother with the larger iron and go with a small/med. iron to start?

thanks.

Jan 21, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #2 of 33
I don't have a Hakko so can't comment on the specifics, but I prefer a "screwdriver" style tip over a conical one. The small flat surface on the tip allows for a better transfer of heat to PCB pads and other parts, so you could get to the proper temperature at the joint to do the job in a shorter time. The flat surface also allow you to "wipe" a pad (which is a useful technique when doing SMD work).

Jan 21, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #3 of 33
I didn't know there were three models with different tips. I thought it was just the size of the handle, meant to fit different sized hands. That really sucks.

The medium model seems to have the most versatile set of tips. If you only get one iron, that seems the one to get.

The small 936 has just a few very small tips. It might be nice for strictly smd work. I bet you have problems with it if you ever work on an old amp and need to desolder 22ga wire wrapped around a screw. This is the main reason I passed up the 936 and got the 102. The problem with the 102 is its temperature range is 343-427C, while the 936 does 200-480C. Was thinking of getting a 936 if I ever get into smd. Even though I have a good iron for heavier work, it's still hard to decide to go for the small 936 with such limited tips. I might get the medium anyway.

Thanks for the heads up.

re tips:
My favorite all around tip for boards is a bevel, but I tend to work more on big things than normal circuit boards. You do need to orient the tip so the flat part is against the wire, and just the edge of the tip heats the trace. It gets in closer and tighter than a conical tip. AMB's right, though: the best tip for boards is a chisel (which is what Hakko calls the flat screwdriver-like tip). I use a rounded conical tip for other things, like old amps or cables, because it's versatile, but you need space around the parts.

Just realized, with my iron being so hot, that might be why the edge of the bevel is good enough to heat the trace. I doubt it works with the heat turned down.

Jan 21, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #7 of 33
Go with the 907 Medium iron. It is what I have and you can get a ton of tips for it (if you ever find the need) I don't see how anyone could not be happy with it unless you are doing really large mass objects.

The stock tip has been working fine for me. I think it is the 1.6mm chisel. I bought a spare but from the looks of it, it will be a long time before I have to use it.
The 908 large iron has similar tips as the 907 (which uses the same tips as the small handle) but not ths same variety or specialty tips (bent angle etc) although some tips are a tad larger with the 908 There is a 5.6mm chisel while the 907 has a 5.2.

There is a conversion kit for the 907 to the 907 if you see the need for it later.
From Hakko site.
Quote:

Stock No.: 641328021607
Hakko Item No.: 908-CK
Description:
KIT,CONV,907 TO 908
AHPDirect Price: $17.47

Jan 21, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #8 of 33
I have to agree with Paragon, how many more choices do you need?

900st-b.jpg

Jan 21, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #9 of 33
Get the medium which is the one normally sold in the ESD safe bundle that HMC and others commonly sell.

The large is for things like heavy gauge work, as in stained glass work or heavy gauge wire. All the DIY stuff can be done with the medium and the tips offered for that handle.

The medium is the right one for the job.

Jan 22, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by barqy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the reason i was wanting to buy the larger iron is that someone offered it to me for around $65.00US shipped with the 936 solder station.

should i bite?
redface.gif

Is it new or used? $65 is a bit much for a used one. If it is used white non ESD, that's way more than I'd pay. There is (was?) a white 936 with the large iron on eBay. Last I looked it was still around $30.00

If you were mostly repairing old tube radios, I could see wanting the large iron. There is some overlap in the tip sizes, so the large iron could be used for most of the DIY projects. But why get the large when you can have the right size for $15 more?

You can get a new 936-12 for about $80 from HMC. Add in some tips and a tool or two to get the order over $100 and shipping is free.

If you are looking to save some money, get a used Weller WTCPT from eBay and a new PTA7 tip. That would be a perfect setup for making cables. If you wait and catch the right auction you should be able to get the iron and a new tip for < $25.00

Jan 22, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are these irons 110v or can they be switched to 240v (aus)

The irons are low voltage. 24V for both Weller and Hakko I think. There is a power supply in the base.

The Hakko 936-12 as sold in the USA is 120V with a US style power cord.

Hakko do make a 240V version for the Australian market. No idea on model numbers but the manual has part numbers for an Australian specific transformer and Australian power cord.

I believe the Weller is similar. There is a 240V base and a 120V base. I'm not sure if they make one with the correct cord set and approvals for Australia.

Jan 22, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewFischer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
snip

If you are looking to save some money, get a used Weller WTCPT from eBay and a new PTA7 tip. That would be a perfect setup for making cables. If you wait and catch the right auction you should be able to get the iron and a new tip for < $25.00

25? the auctions i saw on ebay for the Weller WTCPT go from 20-50$

the 20$ being beat to hell i think?

ps: is this the tip you're referring to: http://cgi.ebay.com/Soldering-Iron-T...QQcmdZViewItem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back