hakko 936 and iron size
Jan 22, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by barqy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
25? the auctions i saw on ebay for the Weller WTCPT go from 20-50$

the 20$ being beat to hell i think?

ps: is this the tip you're referring to: http://cgi.ebay.com/Soldering-Iron-T...QQcmdZViewItem

I've seen working WTCPT irons go for under $10.00. Price and condition seem to have little in common. You just have to be lucky. A quick look at completed listings from the last couple of weeks turned up these:
(you can put the eBay item number into the search box to look at the auctions)

270079202772 $27 shipped
270079171640 $28.50 shipped
130066693077 $36.00 shipped -- two base units, one iron, no stand
330072629536 $41 shipped with a new tip

WTCPT is fairly rugged. Even the beat up ones usually work fine. The WTCPT is a very simple design. The tip sets the temperature and the whole thing is electromechanical.

Weller PTA7 tips are $6.26 each from Mouser or $5.95 from PartsExpress. HMC has them for $4.00 each, but you need to find something else you need from HMC to make it worthwhile.

So based on what I can find from the last few weeks of completed auctions
$27+$5.95+$1.70 (sponge) = about $35

New I'd get the Hakko from HMC. $80. For everyday work I slightly prefer the Weller but it isn't worth the extra $30. If you ever plan to do SMD, get the Hakko.

Jan 22, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are these irons 110v or can they be switched to 240v (aus)

For the 936 stations, The base units are voltage specific, so a 110V cannot be switched to a 240V. As stated before, there are 240V versions.

http://www.hakko.com/world_network.html

One thing I was pleased to see when I first got my Hakko was tht the manual had an exploded view with a full list of replacement parts. You could make a full station just from separate replacement parts (not sure if hte screws are included)

There are also parts listed for Australia in the list so It is just a matter of finding a place that carries the stations for you. Try that link above.

Jan 23, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could make a full station just from separate replacement parts (not sure if hte screws are included)

Right, but you would need a soldering iron to make it.
icon10.gif

Feb 1, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to agree with Paragon, how many more choices do you need?

900st-b.jpg

so bought a hakko 936 used (waiting for it to be shipped to me).

Does anyone have any experience with the T-LB (2nd one from the top left) or the TI (5th from the bottom right)?

Im assuming these are the conical shaped ones?

any online stores that ship to canada at a *reasonable* rate??

Feb 1, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #21 of 33
Speaking of Hakko tips, anyone have a favorite vendor for ordering replacements? The first one I found wanted $8.95 to ship a $6 tip. :|

Feb 1, 2007 at 7:53 PM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Does anyone have any experience with the T-LB (2nd one from the top left) or the TI (5th from the bottom right)?

I used my "T-LB" tip once and hated it.
it's to long, the tip is to small to holder any solder and I had to crank the temp way up to get it to melt solder, but it is common for the calibration to become inaccurate whenever you replace the tip

The "TI" tip is the standard tip that comes with the 936 and if you ask me that is the only one you really need.

Feb 2, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used my "T-LB" tip once and hated it.
it's to long, the tip is to small to holder any solder and I had to crank the temp way up to get it to melt solder, but it is common for the calibration to become inaccurate whenever you replace the tip

I totally agree with this. I solder daily as part of my job, and I've found that the long, narrow conical tips are worthless. The tips don't have enough thermal mass to transfer sufficient heat for soldering, even for SMT. (Virtually all my soldering is SMT.) I'd go for the chisel shaped tips, selecting the size for the job at hand. The small ones are good for SMT, the larger ones are good for thru-hole. For bigger jobs, the 1/4" tip is pretty good.

We used Hakko irons until we switched over to Metcal. Now, they can have my Metcal when they pry it from my cold, dead hand
biggrin.gif
. Expensive, but there is no comparison. I'll probably wind up with my old Hakko 928 dual-head iron at home, since they are forbidden on the job now. (ISO 9000 calibration issues - Metcals don't need to be calibrated).

Feb 2, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Speaking of Hakko tips, anyone have a favorite vendor for ordering replacements? The first one I found wanted $8.95 to ship a $6 tip. :|

Any Fry's Electronics stores in your area? They have them.

Feb 2, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any Fry's Electronics stores in your area? They have them.

Not from where he is, I think. Atlanta might be the closest at ~1000 miles.
eek.gif

Feb 2, 2007 at 4:46 AM Post #26 of 33
Unfortunately tomb is right, no Fry's in my neck of the woods. But after Marshall's comment I did some pretty delicate soldering with the standard tip tonight and it worked like a charm. So for now I think I'll just work on my technique.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2007 at 6:02 AM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

hey if you find a place, maybe we can do a group order
redface.gif

im in canada though
smily_headphones1.gif

is the smallest chisel tip T0.8D? the 5th one from the top on the left?

edit: anyone buy from these guys?

http://cgi.ebay.com/For-Hakko-900M-1...QQcmdZViewItem

maybe we can buy 2 packs and save on shipping
redface.gif

Feb 7, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Hmm, no one has purchased tips from these guys?

http://cgi.ebay.com/For-Hakko-900M-1...QQcmdZViewItem

just wanted to know your thoughts

I don't have a local fry's store because i am in canada
wink.gif

Note that those are "For Hakko" and not sold as Genuine Hakko. Seller doesn't say what brand they are. Seller is in Hong Kong. Those tips are sure to be from China. I give him several points for not trying to pass them off as real Hakko. My wife travels to mainland China twice a year. Copies and knockoffs are everywhere. Quality ranges from terrible to identical to the real thing (and sometimes is the real thing). For the most part price tracks quality. She's brought back a few "Hugo Boss" wallets for me. The cheap one lasted a week. The expensive ones were very good.

I just bought a couple of the Plato "replaces Hakko" tips that Mouser sells. So far the Plato tips are fine. Shipping from Texas to Canada for a couple of tips is going to be nuts of course.

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/629/1794.pdf

Feb 7, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewFischer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just bought a couple of the Plato "replaces Hakko" tips that Mouser sells. So far the Plato tips are fine. Shipping from Texas to Canada for a couple of tips is going to be nuts of course.

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/629/1794.pdf

I guess no one has boughten from the afore mentioned ebay seller?

Yea shipping for 1lb is $10US from mouser
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back