HAIR GEL ... which to use?
Sep 10, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #31 of 43
Don't you guys watch queer eye for the straight guy?
rolleyes.gif
gel is so from the 90s, wax/clay/putty w/e is where its at in this decade.
tongue.gif

No seriously, wax > gel full stop. I'm feeling a bit queer now...

Sep 10, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #32 of 43
I seldom use gel or wax or whatever, but what is important for me is that it washes out easily. Some hair products state clearly that it washes out easily - I use L'Oreal's something or the other wax that is water soluble and is definitely easier to wash out.

Back in the 80s, KMS was big - all the cool dudes used it! I see quite a lot of TV commercials of Gatsby hair products, which I have not used. But Gatsby pre-shave is awesome and I also use their anti-perspirants. Very good quality in my opinion.

Sep 10, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #33 of 43
See, I've already tried wax, clay, etc.
Gel works best for me due the the measuring of the "hold" level.

I also forgot to state that I HATE the shine that waxes produce. Wax also does not hold for long, maybe 2 - 4 hours max. Then my hair flops.

As for clay (I used Sebastian clay), similar to wax, does not hold up too long. They don't have the "shine" which I hate but still not my preference.

Now I'm using Gagnier's Manga Hair, which works a lot better than the stuff I tried previously.

I'll try some Uno and La Bella that you guys recommended me.
Thanks again.

Problem over! Now you guys can discuss whatever you guys enjoy talking about.

Sep 10, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #34 of 43
I don't always put my hair up (I should)... but when I do I use KMS California Hairstay.

Sep 10, 2008 at 6:18 AM Post #35 of 43
How strong of a hold did you need?

Last I checked (which was at least 1 year ago I think...) Gatsby wax was pretty well recommended.

Haven't used gel in years, but I generally used Joico (normal..or ice spiker) mixed with Loreal FX 'stretch gel' or something. The Joico for mosta the hair, and the Loreal FX for the front, because it wasn't super stiff, but still held the hair up. I did not have the gel flaking problems from these gels.

Sep 10, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #38 of 43
I actually cut my hair shortish-medium recently, and I find it actually stays in good form if I style it with just water. Take into account I have superstraight asian hair. (which until now I considered a bane)

Sep 11, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #42 of 43
Hair gel sucks... I'd recommend some form of putty or pomade instead. Gel tends to look shiny, stiff and brittle. I much prefer a matt finish and natural look. The fact that you can restyle your hair in the middle of the day is nice as well.
wink.gif

As for the exact stuff I use, I have no idea. Just looked in the mens section at Shoppers Drug mart and picked it based on the description.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back