Had the chance to audition the GS-1000. And....
May 5, 2007 at 11:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Mortalcoil

1000+ Head-Fier
Man....Spectacular. Plugged into a simple Denon out. Unreal soundstage that puts the RS-2 to shame (hate to say it). I was expecting the worst, considering all the GS bashing here at head-fi. I was really pleasently surprised with the warm, rich sound emonating from this instrument. I failed to hear the brightness, the mids werent recessed, everything seemed balanced, just right...... the way the headphone Gods intended it.

Keep in mind also that this was from a demo pair that maybe had a total of 20 hrs on them. Its definately a Grado, a very refined Grado. Very impressive...is all I can say. Very, very impressive
icon10.gif

Still a big fan of the RS-2 dont get me wrong, but the GSK is just (search for proper word).........BETTER.

May 6, 2007 at 12:35 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortalcoil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man....Spectacular. Plugged into a simple Denon out. Unreal soundstage that puts the RS-2 to shame (hate to say it). I was expecting the worst, considering all the GS bashing here at head-fi. I was really pleasently surprised with the warm, rich sound emonating from this instrument. I failed to hear the brightness, the mids werent recessed, everything seemed balanced, just right...... the way the headphone Gods intended it.

Keep in mind also that this was from a demo pair that maybe had a total of 20 hrs on them. Its definately a Grado, a very refined Grado. Very impressive...is all I can say. Very, very impressive
icon10.gif

Still a big fan of the RS-2 dont get me wrong, but the GSK is just (search for proper word).........BETTER.

Hey, Mortalcoil. Welcome to the club! Beware, the GSK is addicting. Withdrawal symptoms begin to kick in after 24 hours of separation. It has a wholeness that makes other reference quality cans sound woefully thin. It's a difference that you don't hear until you compare them with the GSK. BTW, your Denon source probably has a decent DAC and headphone amp built in.

May 6, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you have the opportunity to test a variety of genres and styles?

No,listened to a bit of Clapton. Regardless, the WOW factor was there in full force. And to feifan, thanks for the welcome. Keep in mind that this demo took place at a store here in Toronto, the environment was less than ideal.

Im really surprised that the Head-fi community hasnt yet really embraced the GSK. I understand that we all hear things differently,but as I said earlier the WOW factor was exceptionally strong ,and for me thats a good indicator of more to come.

In other words, I will be pulling the trigger in June. Let me add that Im still a little amazed that other Gradoheads (you know who you are
wink.gif
) werent blown away by these.
blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif

May 6, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, Mortalcoil. Welcome to the club! Beware, the GSK is addicting. Withdrawal symptoms begin to kick in after 24 hours of separation. It has a wholeness that makes other reference quality cans sound woefully thin. It's a difference that you don't hear until you compare them with the GSK. BTW, your Denon source probably has a decent DAC and headphone amp built in.

I agree with the withdrawl sympton statement,can feel it creeping in right now.

Jonesing for the GSK
tongue.gif

May 6, 2007 at 9:47 AM Post #6 of 7
So you did, ha...good.

Just wait until you hear them with some JAZZzzzz...
wink.gif

Quote:

icon10.gif

May 6, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Im really surprised that the Head-fi community hasnt yet really embraced the GSK. I understand that we all hear things differently,but as I said earlier the WOW factor was exceptionally strong ,and for me thats a good indicator of more to come.

Yeah, sometimes the people that don't like them talk more than the ones that like them on headfi.

The GS-1000 made me sell my RS-1s after several years of ownership... with no regrets
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back