HA NG98 with switchable DAC chips
Mar 9, 2010 at 3:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

buz

500+ Head-Fier
Researching low cost DACs, I have come across the HA NG98 which I have not seen discussed much at all:

HA INFO Audio Studio which features switchable DAC daughter boards (CS4398 or AD1852) offering 24/96 on Coax, upto 16/48 on USB (which is what I would use it for in the beginning)

Which is sold on Ebay for about 120 USD (plus 15USD if you want both DACs to chose from).

Anyone got any experience with it?

Mar 9, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #2 of 19
Looks pretty nice for the price, but at this level there is a ton of competition. It's really close in implementation to the Aune Dac/Amp (which I own and like a lot), but slightly cheaper.

Have you looked at the Nuforce uDac? I believe it is the current price/performance king...or FOTM
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #3 of 19
I would buy the uDac in a heartbeat (actually like the size and portability a lot) if shipping it to Switzerland was not so ridiculous. I heard the Aune did not have a particularly good DAC performance?

Mar 9, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #5 of 19
I think the Opamps are soldered in though (not going to ever use a soldering iron again myself
wink.gif
)? Don't think I see a socket in the pic...

Mar 11, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #7 of 19
Very interesting. I am now basically trying to decide between this and the estimated 80$ FiiO E7. Let's see when that one finally shows up for shipping...

Mar 20, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #8 of 19
Ok so I ordered the NG98 with the CS DAC (AD was not stocked, but I can order it later should I so chose) from coolfungadget.

Let's see, when I get it, I may try rolling opamps - it's not like I have much clue about EE but it seems quite simple if I stay in the well trodden paths I guess. Your raving about AD797 and LT1028 sure made me curious
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #9 of 19
Ok so just hooked it up to my laptop. Wow, the MDR-V6 actually DOES have bass
smily_headphones1.gif
. Edit: Silly me, I had eq on full bass, but still, it seems more on flat eq.

Only issue I have with it is the to be expected bad pot at low volume. And even with the MDR-V6 I only go like 20degrees from minimal where it still has a little of imbalance (worse with the RX700 which seems weirdly more sensitive). Would a resistor plug solve this by allowing the pot to be further up and still limiting volume?

May 4, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #10 of 19
This wins in this price range due to one key thing:

coax in!!!!

Tbh, I have not seen any external DAC that offers a coax in at this price range = very annoying but thanks for the heads-up. And you can easily opamp roll with it being on sockets.

mmmmmm...I might bite tbh. Really would. Tempted.

May 4, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #11 of 19
I have not tested coax, so no comment there. The DIR9001 employed is well reputed, though.

Jul 15, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #12 of 19
so now that the e7 and udac have been out a while anyone care to weigh in on whether this amp/dac is definitely better? I'm really interested in getting buying one myself from ebay.

Oct 8, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #14 of 19
I just bought a NG98 on eBay.  They are in China and I'm in the US, so now the long 3-4 week wait.
smile.gif
  This amp seemed like a steal at $99 including shipping.

I'm in the process of building a headphone amp (no DAC) based on LME49710 op amps with LME49600 buffers.  This amp grabbed by attention when I saw it used BUF634 chips.  They are about 90% similar to the LME49600s.   The LME49720 dual op amps are pin compatible with the OPA2604s used in the NG98 so I'm hoping I can pop in the LMEs.  Depends on what HA Info is doing with the power supply - the OPAs go up to +/- 24v while the LMEs only do +/- 17v. The adapter on the NG98 is 24 volts but I see what looks like a 5 pin LDO regulator in the photos.  I'm hoping they are regulating the 24 down a few volts, then splitting it using a virtual ground design.  The net result might be something like +/- 11v into the op amps and buffer chips.  Plus they have to have a 5v regulator in there somewhere for the digital.

I'm using Shure SRH840 headphones which clock in at 44 ohms, hence my interest in current buffer chips. The op amps in CMOY type units typically only can do around 20-25 mA.  The BUF634s and LME49600s can go up to 250mA.  At 80mw headphone amp output that would be about 42mA RMS into a 44 ohm load.  I also like the higher output voltage rating on this one if I want to use it with higher impedance headphones some day.  At 44 ohms it would only take about 1.9V rms to push the 42mA.  But at 300 ohms it would take about 5 volts to push 80mW.  Or at 44ohms 4.5 volts - which is still just 100mA through the 250mA buffers - would likely blow my eardrums all the way through my head and out the other ear at 460mW.
smile.gif
  Curiously enough, the Shures at rated for that - 1000mW, which I assume means 500mW per side.  Maybe spread the ear pads apart, crank up the NG98, and use them as bookshelf speakers?
atsmile.gif

Speaking of power output, I'm going to open it up and map out the circuit for fun after I get them.  To buz who started the thread - I'll see if I can figure out which resistor(s) have to be changed to reduce the gain.  With lower gain the volume pot will work further in its range, of course, and solve low-volume balance issues and high volume surprises.   I'll have to see what they have done with DC coupling between the stages.  On the one I'm building the design has unity gain (just the headphone amp circuit given in the datasheet for the LME49600 chip) but I'm going to add a switch and resistors to give me a choice of unity or 3dB.  That design also uses a DC servo circuit to make sure the output DC component is always around zero volts DC. Will be interesting to see what HA Info is doing there.  I hope they are not using output coupling caps!
eek.gif

Oct 10, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #15 of 19
In any case, the HA NG98 works just fine with a 12V PSU as well, that would easily solve the issues with the 17V opamps.... Mine is now using LT1028 and feeds into a M-Stage modded with an AD797BR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back