Gym IEMs
Jul 9, 2008 at 10:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

bjackson

100+ Head-Fier
I've been using Shure SE530s for the last couple of months at the gym and have loved them a lot. A few days ago, I ran a couple of miles longer than normal and it seems that I might have shorted out the drivers with the amount of sweat. The right driver has only midrange now.

I'm going to try to get them repaired but I'd like to get something a bit cheaper for the gym. I would like <200 with a good amount of bass. I've been looking at the Super.fi 5 EBs but that might have too much bass. When I work out I listen to a lot of dance/electronic music, etc.

Jul 10, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #2 of 22
The Atrio M5/M8 should suit you just fine and meet your requirements for your type of music. They are about $170.00. Use the foam tips. They are comfortable and stay in the ear good. I have a pair of the old Future Sonics EM3 and use them at the gym all the time. Good luck.

Jul 10, 2008 at 6:18 AM Post #3 of 22
I suggest less than $50 for gym use IEM. Unless you are rich, still it's not really worth it imho. UM1, RE2, C551, EP630, CX300, JVC, Sony EX series, etc will do the job really well for gym.

Jul 10, 2008 at 9:18 AM Post #4 of 22
I am surprised you can use the se530 in the gym. The microphonics from all the movement would drive me crazy...that including thuds of running on a treadmill or something like that.

I personally use the yuin pk2. Stay in my ears just fine, and I actually use them to jog in the street...don't have to worry about being shut off from the world.

Jul 10, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #5 of 22
Gumy buds. KSC 75's. No microphonics like filipelli says....

Jul 10, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #6 of 22
I have been using the Etymotic ER6i IEMs for a few years now. I have used them walking, running, biking and in the gym, both aerobic machine use and weights. They are small, have a light cable, and match the shuffle very well. I can't say they are big on the bass end without an amp added to the mix.

At the other end, I tried my UE10-pro IEMs, and hated them for exercise. Way too much microphonics, as well as noise with any jaw motion. Being chuncks of plastic, they also moved too much during walking as an exercise. I have enjoyed using them at the mall while shopping etc. with no problems.

Jul 13, 2008 at 12:20 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjackson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been using Shure SE530s for the last couple of months at the gym and have loved them a lot. A few days ago, I ran a couple of miles longer than normal and it seems that I might have shorted out the drivers with the amount of sweat. The right driver has only midrange now.

I'm going to try to get them repaired but I'd like to get something a bit cheaper for the gym. I would like <200 with a good amount of bass. I've been looking at the Super.fi 5 EBs but that might have too much bass. When I work out I listen to a lot of dance/electronic music, etc.

Me, I have SE530's but wouldn't consider using them at the gym. CX300's are my fav at the gym, cheap, bass heavy, brilliant with Queen (eg 'Killer Queen") and the like. SE530's are an overkill and deserve something better than a sweaty and less appreciative environment..

Kind regards

g_a

Jul 13, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #9 of 22
I used my SE530 in the gym fine. I couldn't use the triple.fi Or Ety ER-4P/S due to microphonics & just plain old comfort.

I just do weights though.

CV is way too much work for me...

Aug 5, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #10 of 22
e2c is perfect.. no microphonics.. comfortable with the black super soft silicones.. even pops out with sweat in the ear.. its 5 years old now.. no issues ever..

Aug 5, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #11 of 22
ER-6i's have been working great for me, no microphonics

Aug 6, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #12 of 22
My whole reason for having IEMs is so I can listen to my music in the gym and on my bike and hiking, etc...Just wear a hoodie or sweat band over your head/ears to absorb all that sweat. The 530's are definitely more comfortable and easier to use than my ER-4S. Totally different sounding IEMs and I like both of them.

Aug 6, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by tracyrick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My whole reason for having IEMs is so I can listen to my music in the gym and on my bike and hiking, etc...Just wear a hoodie or sweat band over your head/ears to absorb all that sweat. The 530's are definitely more comfortable and easier to use than my ER-4S. Totally different sounding IEMs and I like both of them.

band thing about those bands is that everyone will think that youre a poser at least thats what i think of others thinking about me....
frown.gif

Aug 7, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by voicemaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suggest less than $50 for gym use IEM. Unless you are rich, still it's not really worth it imho. UM1, RE2, C551, EP630, CX300, JVC, Sony EX series, etc will do the job really well for gym.

I'm in the exact same situation as the OP, and I agree with the philosophy of this. Considering how much abuse they're going to take I can't see myself spending $100+ on a gym IEM.

Any chance someone can narrow this list down a bit? I know nothing about IEMs so I don't even have a clue where to begin.

Basically, they need to:

1. Be fairly rugged.
2. Microphonics a much greater negative than usual.
3. Be fairly insulating, Gyms are noisy.
4. Stay put while moving, especially if your ears get a bit sweaty.
5. Sound Quality, for this use, really is less important than #1-#4.

Can anyone help?

Aug 7, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm in the exact same situation as the OP, and I agree with the philosophy of this. Considering how much abuse they're going to take I can't see myself spending $100+ on a gym IEM.

Any chance someone can narrow this list down a bit? I know nothing about IEMs so I don't even have a clue where to begin.

Basically, they need to:

1. Be fairly rugged.
2. Microphonics a much greater negative than usual.
3. Be fairly insulating, Gyms are noisy.
4. Stay put while moving, especially if your ears get a bit sweaty.
5. Sound Quality, for this use, really is less important than #1-#4.

Can anyone help?

Westone UM1.

Man, I recommend those a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back