Gustard X26 Pro Dual ES9038PRO DAC
May 9, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #1,096 of 1,254
What would be a decent Master clock that costs less than 1k that pairs nicely with the U18?
I have an LHY OCK-1 with a LMR400 type cable and it's the best bang for the buck audio upgrade in SQ I have ex[perienced in my rig with a U18 and X26P. I have less than $400 wrapped up in that. Their OCK-2 is $600-$700 depending on reseller and is a somewhat better clock. I am toying with the idea of upgrading to one. But every time I hear my rig with the ock-1 I ask myself why since I'm pretty damn happy with what I'm hearing. :smile:

May 9, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #1,097 of 1,254
which component should get the fuse? Clock or DAC?
My experience points to fuses having the greatest impact at the preamp (or component handling the preamp duties). Amp would be second.

May 9, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #1,098 of 1,254
I just noticed that the Harmonic Tech Copper III 50 ohm BNC cable I ordered yesterday from Ramble Audio is 1 meter long. I've read that the shorter the BNC cable the better, do you think a 1 meter run of the BNC cable is ideal for a 50 ohm Master Clock hookup?

May 9, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #1,099 of 1,254
I just noticed that the Harmonic Tech Copper III 50 ohm BNC cable I ordered yesterday from Ramble Audio is 1 meter long. I've read that the shorter the BNC cable the better, do you think a 1 meter run of the BNC cable is ideal for a 50 ohm Master Clock hookup?
From what I have read, shorter the better.
I ordered a .5m HT Copper 3

The seller I bought from can customize any length you want.

May 9, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #1,100 of 1,254
From what I have read, shorter the better.
I ordered a .5m HT Copper 3

The seller I bought from can customize any length you want.

I guess I will have to stick with the 1m, I don't think Ramble Audio can do any adjustments.....

May 9, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #1,101 of 1,254
Just copped an Ock 2 from AliExpress, should get here on the 20th.
Very stoked about this upgrade!

May 10, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #1,102 of 1,254
The Gustard U18 just arrived today. Using an AudioQuest Pearl HDMI cable for the I2S connection and stock U18 usb cable, I can hear an immediate change in the soundstage, the sound is truly "3D" as many people describe. The soundstage width increased a bit and the depth is far deeper than without the U18. With a neutral amp like my V550, I feel I can hear the changes very clearly. The background seems to be quite a bit blacker as well. All this is immediately apparent as I can hear with my HD650.

This is without the Purple Fuses (haven't arrived yet) and without the Ock 2. I can't wait for those to arrive so I can properly beef up my X26 Pro.

Last edited:
May 10, 2023 at 11:12 PM Post #1,103 of 1,254
The Gustard U18 just arrived today. Using an AudioQuest Pearl HDMI cable for the I2S connection and stock U18 usb cable, I can hear an immediate change in the soundstage, the sound is truly "3D" as many people describe. The soundstage width increased a bit and the depth is far deeper than without the U18. With a neutral amp like my V550, I feel I can hear the changes very clearly. The background seems to be quite a bit blacker as well. All this is immediately apparent as I can hear with my HD650.

This is without the Purple Fuses (haven't arrived yet) and without the Ock 2. I can't wait for those to arrive so I can properly beef up my X26 Pro.
Stock Gustard USB cable?
I have a cheap OCC copper one from Aliexpress and its a lot better in terms of clarity.
If you are going to beef up the x26pro, you might want to consider replacing that.

I read on the audio cable forum, some people really enjoy pure sterling silver USB cables, the ones from Aliexpress arent that outrageously priced, so might upgrade in the future.

May 10, 2023 at 11:19 PM Post #1,104 of 1,254
Stock Gustard USB cable?
I have a cheap OCC copper one from Aliexpress and its a lot better in terms of clarity.
If you are going to beef up the x26pro, you might want to consider replacing that.

I read on the audio cable forum, some people really enjoy pure sterling silver USB cables, the ones from Aliexpress arent that outrageously priced, so might upgrade in the future.

I had an AudioQuest Black Carbon USB but it too short for where I have to place the U18 unfortunately. I will definitely consider upgrading the USB one of these days. The Aliexpress ones look great!
Val from Arctic Cables will probably introduce his line of of digital cables sometime next year, I absolutely love his work on cables.

Last edited:
May 10, 2023 at 11:22 PM Post #1,105 of 1,254
I tried to use U18's coax output but it doesn't seem to work.

I'm using a FiiO New K3 as a USB 1.0 passthrough device for my PS5 and usually would feed a coax cable from the K3 to my X26PRO but there doesn't seem to be a way to make it work for my PS5. Is there not a way to recieve the coax signal via I2S cable from the U18 to my X26PRO?

Anyone know what my problem is?

Last edited:
May 11, 2023 at 12:48 AM Post #1,106 of 1,254
Is there not a way to recieve the coax signal via I2S cable from the U18 to my X26PRO?
The U18 only has two inputs: USB and clock.

May 11, 2023 at 11:21 PM Post #1,108 of 1,254
Just installed the Purple Fuses on both my X26 Pro and U18.

First things I can hear after installing the the Purple Fuses on each device in order,

First I swapped the fuse on the U18,
-everything sounds just a teeny bit more focused than with stock fuse, a bit more mids focus (I think).
-maybe a teeny bit more macro detail than before? Possibly a bit less micro detail (this could be also be due to the fact that the transients are a bit faster now.

After that, I swapped the fuse on the X26 Pro,
-teeny bit more balance in staging than before but there still seems to be a bit more mids focus in the tonal balance.
-Hiss becomes more apparent in the tracks I was playing before????? I did not remember hearing hiss before. Perhaps the recordings are more revealing now?
-Dynamics boost, there is a bit more of a punch in the bass.
-even more faster transients than before? Everything sounds a bit faster. There seems to be a little less decay due to the faster speed.
-macro details seem to be slightly boosted, perhaps a teeny bit more micro detail than before.

To sum up the overall tonal change from installing purple fuses on both devices, more quicker transients (more fluid-like with less decay than before), increased dynamics, staging becomes a bit more focused.
(Keep in mind that these are the initial impressions before a burn in session, so the sound will probably change as the burn in progresses)

I must admit, as easy as it is to extract the fuse holder I still find it cumbersome to change the orientation of the fuse to see which position is correct everytime.
It is a bit difficult to hear the differences between the positions of the purple fuses, I ultimately stuck with the theory that you go according to the lettering (from left to right) on the label. I really wish Synergistic Research had included arrows from Left to Right on the label of their fuses so there is less uncertainty in direction when installing the fuses.

Here are photos of the stock fuses and then the position I thought sounded the best with the Purple Fuses on both U18 and X26 Pro,

Stock fuse on U18
IMG20230511215419.jpg

Direction with Purple Fuse on U18
IMG20230511215638.jpg

Stock fuse on X26 Pro
IMG20230511223859.jpg

Direction with Purple Fuse on X26 Pro
IMG20230511224133.jpg

If I find that the position is wrong after a few more tests, I will update this post.

Overall, the Purple Fuses DID change the sound of the chain (contrary to what some others have said), now whether I like the changes or not is hard to say for the moment. Maybe I can adjust the tonal balance by putting back the stock fuse on the U18 but I will first run both of these fuses through a burn-in session.
I will recheck the position on the X26 Pro to see if the hiss from recordings are due to installing in the wrong direction, but it is hard to say, maybe the extra mids focus could pickup up more hiss from micro detail?

Last edited:
May 11, 2023 at 11:56 PM Post #1,109 of 1,254
Just installed the Purple Fuses on both my X26 Pro and U18.

First things I can hear after installing the the Purple Fuses on each device in order,
I strongly encourage you to repeat your evaluation after there are at least 200 hours on the fuse.

May 12, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #1,110 of 1,254
I ultimately stuck with the theory that you go according to the lettering (from left to right) on the label. I really wish Synergistic Research had included arrows from Left to Right on the label of their fuses so there is less uncertainty in direction when installing the fuses.
It's not really a theory. It's a fact as that is what SR indicates is the proper direction. Hence no arrow needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back