Gustard X26 Pro Dual ES9038PRO DAC
May 9, 2023 at 12:55 AM Post #1,081 of 1,254
Boy, the additional costs of a Master clock is insane! Part of me does not understand why I would need to hook up so many additional components into the chain, but on the flipside I want to deck out my current system so this is probably the right route to take.
Difference between having a U18 (Gustard fuse) + clock + x26pro (w/purple fuse) vs x26pro (w/ purple fuse) on its own is significant. Wish it wasn't but it is......
The soundstage collapses without the U18 + clock.
U18 has more of an effect on the soundstage (adds a more 3d effect).
The Ock-2 with cheap LMR400 cable adds clarity, isolation and focus for vocals, and cleans up the background music a bit.

Hate to say it, but the x26pro (w/ purple fuse) on its own, sounds average........
With the add-ons - on a different level.

Last edited:
May 9, 2023 at 1:35 AM Post #1,082 of 1,254
Difference between having a U18 (Gustard fuse) + clock + x26pro (w/purple fuse) vs x26pro (w/ purple fuse) on its own is significant. Wish it wasn't but it is......
The Ock-2 with cheap LMR400 cable adds clarity, isolation and focus for vocals, and cleans up the background music a bit.

Hate to say it, but the x26pro (w/ purple fuse) on its own, sounds average........

Thanks, I already purchased a purple fuse for my X26 Pro and one for my U18 (I will recieve my U18 somtime this week) and with a competent master clock, I'm sure I will be heading in the right direction.

Thank you for your suggestions and insight on your experience with the setup!

May 9, 2023 at 1:42 AM Post #1,083 of 1,254
That's a tricky one. If you had only one fuse, for instance my case with the master fuse, which component should get the fuse? Clock or DAC?

May 9, 2023 at 1:46 AM Post #1,084 of 1,254
That's a tricky one. If you had only one fuse, for instance my case with the master fuse, which component should get the fuse? Clock or DAC?

Wow! What are your impressions with the Master Fuse?

I would guess the fuse should go in your R26 DAC because that is the component creating the signal to your amp, this will probably have the greatest effect if you only have one upgrade fuse to play with.

May 9, 2023 at 1:47 AM Post #1,085 of 1,254

Previously before i got the R26, i had the U18 DDC and a gustard fuse and i was using it with a tubed dac - Musical Paradise MP-D2 mk3. The difference running it into the MP dac with the U18 via AES out brought more soundstage width and depth. Easily noticeable. Added the LHY OCk1 clock to the U18 improved the 3D effect and instrument positioning within the added soundstage and refinement that the U18 gave.

May 9, 2023 at 1:50 AM Post #1,087 of 1,254
Wow! What are your impressions with the Master Fuse?

I would guess the fuse should go in your R26 DAC because that is the component creating the signal to your amp, this will probably have the greatest effect if you only have one upgrade fuse to play with.
I have to A-B sometime soon since It's fully burnt in now. I never once used the stock fuse.

May 9, 2023 at 1:51 AM Post #1,088 of 1,254
Sadly for me, the fuse in my Violectric V550 is directly soldered so I can't swap it if I wanted to :)

May 9, 2023 at 1:54 AM Post #1,089 of 1,254
Dac...but if the ratings are suitable for the amp, then then amp, or preamp.
How do you figure? Personally, I've always heard the fuse is best placed at your most upstream equipment. so that everything gets a trinkle of its effects. My amp has a power supply, would the fuse be better here or in the amp?

Both panels of the R26 and Formula S say to use a 250v fuse (which I have) so it'll probably work in either. Thank you.

May 9, 2023 at 2:00 AM Post #1,090 of 1,254
Previously before i got the R26, i had the U18 DDC and a gustard fuse and i was using it with a tubed dac - Musical Paradise MP-D2 mk3. The difference running it into the MP dac with the U18 via AES out brought more soundstage width and depth. Easily noticeable. Added the LHY OCk1 clock to the U18 improved the 3D effect and instrument positioning within the added soundstage and refinement that the U18 gave.
What cable were you using with the Ock1?

May 9, 2023 at 2:10 AM Post #1,092 of 1,254
May 9, 2023 at 7:42 AM Post #1,094 of 1,254
To be honest, i cant see why it needs to be compliant to the 50ohm spec. I have a Canare 50ohm cable, and the LMR400 and the silver audiolund cable sounded better to my ears.
Matching impedance is required for proper square wave usage. It does not really matter for sine wave. There's good explanations as to why in the master clock thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back