Gustard X26 Pro Dual ES9038PRO DAC
Mar 16, 2022 at 9:25 PM Post #226 of 1,254
@MartinWT, do you think the gustard c18 clock should be considered? Or are you firmly in the afterdark camp??

Really good question. My take on it is that the C18 is like other Gustard products in that it delivers a great bang for the buck. But so do the AfterDark clocks. AfterDark clocks are also available at different levels so you have more choices.

Mar 17, 2022 at 3:25 AM Post #227 of 1,254
@MartinWT, do you think the gustard c18 clock should be considered? Or are you firmly in the afterdark camp??

I can't comment as I only know the AfterDark, which I can recommend.

Mar 17, 2022 at 8:55 PM Post #228 of 1,254
My experiment to ascertain what happens discovered that only the U18 requires the external clock. Provided you connect the two via I2S, the U18's external clock will feed the X26 Pro via the I2S clock signal. Any external clock connected to the X26 Pro has no effect on I2S playback. I have even pulled the X26 Pro external clock cable during playback and nothing happens (also switching between Int/Ext clock has no effect).

So, the answer is to buy one very good clock. I'm using an AfterDark Emperor Triple Crown into the U18 and it sounds fabulous.

This is really smart. I remember from I2S basics that the clock is sent separately from the bits. Therefore, if you feed the DDC with a clean clock, and send data from DDC to DAC via I2S, the clock should reflect what is upstream.

Very very smart.

If folks use EtherRegen though, then it may be useful having more than one clock output. Otherwise, this seems like a REALLY smart implementation.

Cheers, Martin!

Mar 18, 2022 at 4:20 AM Post #229 of 1,254
If folks use EtherRegen though, then it may be useful having more than one clock output. Otherwise, this seems like a REALLY smart implementation.

I do use an EtherREGEN and simply have another clock for it! I use the better AfterDark Emperor Triple Crown on the U18 and the lesser AfterDark King on the ER.

Mar 20, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #231 of 1,254
Many report U18 kills bass, drum kicks. curious about your experience.

That must be a joke? Bass is as extended as ever, with serious air movement, and the attack and slam even better with the U18.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #232 of 1,254
That must be a joke? Bass is a extended as ever, with serious air movement, and the attack and slam even better with the U18.
Post in thread 'Gustard U18'
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/gustard-u18.960682/post-16678423

He claims 'bass' has been recessed. To be honest, I would like to buy it. When i see such comments on U18, i keep myself away from buying it. Moreover, ı have read 'purple fuses' regarding U18. Is the stock one bad? Why do people change the fuses? AF200 and us-6 also have got many natural and good reviews from users. However, there is no comparison somewhere.

Mar 20, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #233 of 1,254
Moreover, ı have read 'purple fuses' regarding U18. Is the stock one bad? Why do people change the fuses?
Our components thrive when supplied better/cleaner power. The cheap fuses manufacturers provide by default can usually be improved upon. Synergistic applies a material they call UEF to their fuses that essentially conditions the current that passes through the fuse.

Mar 20, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #234 of 1,254
Post in thread 'Gustard U18'
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/gustard-u18.960682/post-16678423

He claims 'bass' has been recessed. To be honest, I would like to buy it. When i see such comments on U18, i keep myself away from buying it. Moreover, ı have read 'purple fuses' regarding U18. Is the stock one bad? Why do people change the fuses?

That's a single claim in the context of one system.

The improvement in bass extension and slam with the U18 in my system was immediate and has grown with burn-in.

Performance with the stock fuse is great. With a Gustard or SR fuse, even better. You don't need the fuse to experience what the U18 brings.

Ultimately, you do have to try the U18 in your own system. Other experiences can only give you an indication of what to expect.

Mar 29, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #235 of 1,254
Hi all. This is my first post in head-fi. I just received the X26 Pro and plugged it in yesterday in place of my Metrum Musette with DAC2 modules. My question is: how long before it runs in? Although cold from the start, it soon warmed through physically but was a surprise in terms of how hard and bright it sounded. At the end of yesterday evening it was better, but still had a sense of hardness. How long should I expect this to endure, please? My first thought was ‘ugh! Send it back’ although I’m hoping for a transformation with time…. :)

Mar 29, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #236 of 1,254
Hi all. This is my first post in head-fi. I just received the X26 Pro and plugged it in yesterday in place of my Metrum Musette with DAC2 modules. My question is: how long before it runs in? Although cold from the start, it soon warmed through physically but was a surprise in terms of how hard and bright it sounded. At the end of yesterday evening it was better, but still had a sense of hardness. How long should I expect this to endure, please? My first thought was ‘ugh! Send it back’ although I’m hoping for a transformation with time…. :)

Congrats on the purchase.

Mine took about 2-3 weeks to burn in. The DAC's character changed a lot during that time, but my first impression (hard / bright) was the same as yours. It will go away! If I had to do it over again, I would have never listened to it immediately and would have burned it in for 2 weeks 24/7 with an old CD player set on repeat.

Mar 29, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #237 of 1,254
2-3 weeks for a full burn-in. It'll improve greatly over that period of time. If you can, leave it on all the time.

Mar 29, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #238 of 1,254
If you can, leave it on all the time.
Good idea to do this even after burn-in. Clocks perform best when they have thermally-stabilized.

Mar 29, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #239 of 1,254
Thanks for your replies. Actually I’ve turned it off during the day and then again in the evening for listening, but I’ll leave it on from now. It’s better….. will give it 2-3 weeks as suggested and then listen carefully with the Musette as reference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back