Gustard X22 DAC
Aug 15, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #151 of 188
Great point. Up-sampling can be a tricky proposition (regarding SQ).

pj

It is true that typically any conversion of any kind of digital format like audio or video causes loss of quality from new artifacts, loss of detail, etc. I don't know about upsampling particularly, but using J-River software to convert PCM audio to DSD sounds amazing. PCM to DSD audio is a rare exception to the conversion rule. I don't have the articles handy but people say that DSD audio is more naturally converted to analog somehow, and that comes through in a big way while listening to a 44KHz 16-bit PCM flac recording being converted to 11.2MHz DSD, it sounds amazing. It's very peculiar from a computer science standpoint. It breaks that rule about conversion automatically reducing quality and it needs to be able to do very faast processing, if not all that much of it. For example, My CPU has a feature where it will automatically increase the clockspeed when needed (AMD Ryzen) it doesn't typically have to do this for me, but when running the 11.2MHz DSD conversion the CPU will up-clock itself, but it'll also only be using 0.5%-1% of the processor. It doesn't need to do crazy amounts of processing, but it needs to do what it does fast. Not seen much like that in the world of computers.

I have had a Gustard x22 since February and I love it. I made my girlfriend a disc of music for her car and put on the same song we just listened to in the car on my home stereo system through the gustard x22 and she was like "I really like this, what is it?" I was like "it's what we were just listening to in your car" Gustard x22 just made it so much more engaging and enjoyable

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #152 of 188
It is true that typically any conversion of any kind of digital format like audio or video causes loss of quality from new artifacts, loss of detail, etc. I don't know about upsampling particularly, but using J-River software to convert PCM audio to DSD sounds amazing. PCM to DSD audio is a rare exception to the conversion rule. I don't have the articles handy but people say that DSD audio is more naturally converted to analog somehow, and that comes through in a big way while listening to a 44KHz 16-bit PCM flac recording being converted to 11.2MHz DSD, it sounds amazing. It's very peculiar from a computer science standpoint. It breaks that rule about conversion automatically reducing quality and it needs to be able to do very faast processing, if not all that much of it. For example, My CPU has a feature where it will automatically increase the clockspeed when needed (AMD Ryzen) it doesn't typically have to do this for me, but when running the 11.2MHz DSD conversion the CPU will up-clock itself, but it'll also only be using 0.5%-1% of the processor. It doesn't need to do crazy amounts of processing, but it needs to do what it does fast. Not seen much like that in the world of computers.

I have had a Gustard x22 since February and I love it. I made my girlfriend a disc of music for her car and put on the same song we just listened to in the car on my home stereo system through the gustard x22 and she was like "I really like this, what is it?" I was like "it's what we were just listening to in your car" Gustard x22 just made it so much more engaging and enjoyable

Hi molton: Excellent reply !

Indeed, the world of science/measurements (incomplete understandings) has much to discover. Many (erroneously) believe the printed word, for example: Science says ..."This" -you better believe it -or else (lol)

However, as any seasoned listener/audiophile discovers, time and time again, is that what shouldn't be a factor/have influence in fact can be profound. And, repeatable.

I appreciate your sharing the PCM to DSD conversion. I for one, care not what should/shouldn't be (technically/on-paper/generally subscribed to) but rather the far more compelling and accurate measurement; how does it 'sound'. More specifically, if we (all of a sudden -and repeatedly) enjoy a far more engaging, communicative (enjoyable) sound ) when (for example) we shouldn't because extra processing is involved, it;s time to rethink what we believed we thought we knew.

Your PCM-to-DSD an example here.

What I really enjoyed, is your experience about the same track/music offering up a far more engaging/enjoyable listening experience than what's available/possible on lesser gear/equipment.
That the "same" song can sound so different (communicative) can be a remarkable, revelatory experience -one I've lately come to understand more thoroughly.

I'm most please to know you are enjoying the Gustard X-22 (DAC). It's good-to-know that the excellent X-20 series wasn't simply a 'hit' in a jungle of misses.
In other words, the designer's know what they're (really) doing ! (lol).

Thank you for sharing.

pj

Dec 18, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #154 of 188
Could someone post a photo of the menu page from the manual. I have lost mine and can’t remember
DPLL BW normal/ high
And
MCLK Mode Normal/Auto are

Thanks in advance

Ps still so happy with this beautiful Dac

Dec 18, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #155 of 188
Hi Zonka, I use Brickwall and Auto

DacBuddha: I too use 'Brickwall', Clock at 'Normal'.

I've messed with /listened to all of them; always 9/10 times chose Brickwall (when I had no idea which filter it was).
To me, it seems a bit odd since 'Brickwall' was the original type/style of filter used in early CDP/DAC designs.
I would have guessed I'd prefer another type of 'Linear Phase' filter -or even "Minimum Phase"/Apodizing". But not so.

Regardless, it's a very nice 'feature' on any CDP/DAC.

However, I'm curious as to which (digital) filter is used by Gustard X-20/X22 owners ?

pj

Dec 19, 2018 at 3:55 AM Post #156 of 188
DacBuddha: I too use 'Brickwall', Clock at 'Normal'.

I've messed with /listened to all of them; always 9/10 times chose Brickwall (when I had no idea which filter it was).
To me, it seems a bit odd since 'Brickwall' was the original type/style of filter used in early CDP/DAC designs.
I would have guessed I'd prefer another type of 'Linear Phase' filter -or even "Minimum Phase"/Apodizing". But not so.

Regardless, it's a very nice 'feature' on any CDP/DAC.

However, I'm curious as to which (digital) filter is used by Gustard X-20/X22 owners ?

pj
Hi. I changed my pre amp and now after blind settings listening I ended up on M-Slow and normal. My speakers are known to be bright and brickwall just had a slight irritating feeling

Dec 20, 2018 at 7:32 AM Post #158 of 188

I wonder if you or someone can help me. I am using the X22 with jriver via a usb connection from my i7 htpc. I cant get it to play directly or convert pcm in native dsd. I can get dff files to bitstream but only on DoP, not native DSD. So no native DSD at all, though I know from all the reviews and posts I've read that it can be done.
I'm starting to think it may be an XMOS driver issue.
Can anyone send me a link or the actual driver they are using for XMOS ASIO? The one on the little disc they sent me is preventing me from using native DSD.
Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Dec 20, 2018 at 8:20 AM Post #160 of 188
I wonder if you or someone can help me. I am using the X22 with jriver via a usb connection from my i7 htpc. I cant get it to play directly or convert pcm in native dsd. I can get dff files to bitstream but only on DoP, not native DSD. So no native DSD at all, though I know from all the reviews and posts I've read that it can be done.
I'm starting to think it may be an XMOS driver issue.
Can anyone send me a link or the actual driver they are using for XMOS ASIO? The one on the little disc they sent me is preventing me from using native DSD.
Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

First, I would check your JRiver settings. Go options, settings, and open DSP & output format. In the far left hand corner uncheck Output format. This should work. If it doesn't try reloading the driver.

Dec 27, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #161 of 188
A new question about master clock setting - should I use auto or normal if I'm using a i7 minipc with JRiver usb connection to the X22?
I do not understand the manual's explanation.

Thanks

Dec 27, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #162 of 188
Here is another one - do any of you run your dac straight to an amp without a preamp?
Is the signal too hot at 100% volume?

I'm thinking about removing my Parasound P5 preamp and connecting straight to my amp with XLR cables and connecting my subwoofer directly to the unbalanced red/white of the Gustard.

Any opinions on that one?

Thanks for all your help on these questions.

Happy New Year to everyone!

Dec 28, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #164 of 188
Not really sure what that means. I'm pretty much a novice at this so I'm asking for legitimate help with this. I've read that digital volume controls can degrade the sound and I'm assuming this DAC has digital volume and I didn't want to have to be turing the volume down 50% to listen at a comfortable level. Right now, I have the DAC turned all the way up and connected to a Parasound P5 preamp, which is where I currently control the volume.
Can anyone offer some helpful advice? I'm trying to see if I will get better sound quality by running my DAC straight to my amp.
Thanks,
Drew

Dec 28, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #165 of 188
So how you gonna control power of your power amp without preamp? Listening on full power will definitely destroy your speakers and ears pretty quickly...
And overdrived amp would produce lot of noise rather than music.

True, it is better from SQ perspective avoid digital volume control. So preamp or limited quality on low volume from DAC.
Or buy different power amp with volume control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back