Gustard X22 DAC
Jun 14, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #139 of 188
I came across a comparison of the X22 with the LKS DA004 in connection for a for sale ad here. I would love to hear an in depth review, but it appears they are very similar.

The seller says: the reason I'm selling this nice dac (x22) is that I'm moving to another apartment, and I already have the LKS DA004. DA004 has better sound stage while X22 has great sound texture and weight and thus perfect with vocal.

I would happily keep both DACs if not for clearing up space and moving

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fs-gustard-x22-silver.881327/

Jul 29, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #141 of 188
New X22 user here. Love it so far. Is anyone using a Eitr with this or any of the Gustard Dacs and are they hearing a difference?

Thx

Jul 29, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #142 of 188
Has anyone posted anywhere comparing the sound of the x22 with the lks? I am very curious if the x22 is as good. I have not found detailed reviews which compare the x22 to other high quality dacs. I have been very happy with the Gustard x20 pro. Not sure if an upgrade to the lks or the x22 would be significant.

RE: " ..I have been very happy with the Gustard x20 pro".

As I am. A fantastic DAC. Build quality is top notch -the solid top-plate is 907 grams (weight). Interior design/layout is equally impressive. Amazing performance/value.

pj

Jul 29, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #145 of 188
Hi. I´m the happy owner of the X-22 from about 2 weeks.
Although there is a lot of work to do trying cables, configuration options, etc., i have to say that it is a fantastic dac that I enjoy more every day. It is also very attractive and seems well built. In short, very happy with my purchase.
Greetings from Spain.

Enrique: I'm thrilled that you are enjoying the X-22 !

Keep us posted as time (and experience/experimentation) unfolds. I don't believe you could have chosen a better DAC than the X-22 -anywhere near its price point.

pj

Jul 29, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #146 of 188
My previous dac was Marantz HD DAC-1. To my ears, it sounded well, although it had a little "rolled off" treble, and the sound was a little "boring". Comparatively, The X22 has a very "alive" sound, more to my liking.
I also had the chance to listen the Rega DAC-R in my system recently, and it sounded good, although I like the Gustard more

Fantastic descriptor: " The X22 has a very "alive" sound, ...". Nice !

pj

Jul 29, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #148 of 188
But SQ may suffer. First, you may think it sounds better but when you listen longer and switch back you will notice lack of details when upsampling.

I was using it for months and then I realized it is not the best way. I don't know is it JRiver algorithms or what?..

But as always, depends on the system. You may not notice any difference even.

Great point. Up-sampling can be a tricky proposition (regarding SQ).

pj

Jul 30, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #149 of 188
RE: " More serious designed than the previous models, although still no WCK ports."

Good call on the WCK port. Although in all fairness, neither the X-20PRO (or X-22) and its respective price points (+/- $200) at $1K US such an option may be not warranted.
Should the chaps responsible for the impressive X-20PRO (I haven't heard the X-22) offer up another (more sophisticated) model, perhaps a WCLK feature may be added.
With that said, the use of i2S (on both X-20/22) may be all that is required.

pj

Jul 30, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #150 of 188
Wow. Great to know. My brother (argghh) has the X-20PRO, not I. As I just began streaming or the need for an external DAC, I did begin (and remain) with the Schiit Modi-2 Uber.

Can anyone tell me what "I'm missing" (lol) ? Should/will the Gustard X-20PRO DAC blow it out-of-the-water?

pj
P.S. Note to self; xmas gift to self is OK.
Wow. Great to know. My brother (argghh) has the X-20PRO, not I. As I just began streaming or the need for an external DAC, I did begin (and remain) with the Schiit Modi-2 Uber.

Can anyone tell me what "I'm missing" (lol) ? Should/will the Gustard X-20PRO DAC blow it out-of-the-water?

pj
P.S. Note to self; xmas gift to self is OK.

Note to self: X-20PRO blows the Modi-2 Uber (toy) out of the room. I think I see some left-over Schiit parts scattered around the listening room.

pj

Users who are viewing this thread

Back