Gustard X20 DAC
Mar 9, 2016 at 5:14 AM Post #496 of 1,320
I've been umm-ing about this dac for while, though I believe you have just sold it to me. Sounds like perfection
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh g-d. I really hope you like it, otherwise I will have to find a place to hide (or maybe I can get a second one for a discount price, but where do I hide it without my CFO [1] noticing? :wink:

Roberto

[1] Also known as wife.

Mar 9, 2016 at 6:52 AM Post #497 of 1,320

So you ask about the elusive Tanly?  One must climb Mt. Huashan and from the peak email tanly.tam at gmail

I paid him on a Thursday and it left Jiangmen Shi, Guangdong, China the same day.  Was on my porch in NJ on Monday morning!

Tanly Tam built a DDC with Crystek 957 oscillators that clocks DSD256 over IIS to the X20.  It's supposed to do 512 but I have yet to find a DSD512 download.  My HydraZ+X20 couldn't lock *any* DSD signal over IIS (AES worked but is limited to DSD64) and I was afraid it might have been the X20's fault.  I've had the Tanly for a week and it's proven my X20 has no issues.  I use JRiver21 to create DSD64 and DSD128 DSF files, but they're huge so I only convert my favorite stuff.  JRiver's DSP Studio can do DSD256 on-the-fly which is impressive, but I suspect all forms of statically converted DSF's are sounding better (played with bitstreaming=DSD and the DSP Studio disabled).  Also DSD256 on-the-fly requires a 250ms buffer on my 3rd gen i7 workstation (2% CPU!) and 500ms on my 6th gen i3 NUC.  

I'm on nearfield monitors right now and I don't have my U12 with me.  Once I've setup my 2ch listening room (and I have my U12) I'll be able to write up an objective evaluation of the Tanly.  For now I have zero regrets.

Sounds interesting. What does a Tanly DCC cost direct?

I found this site but there is no English translation so forget that.
http://world.taobao.com/item/40193288881.htm?fromSite=main&spm=a312a.7700824.w4004-1253948159.7.n449iZ

thanks

Mar 9, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #498 of 1,320
I would love to see links to all the "bad things" you have heard about the Pangea power cords.

How's the Pangea sounding?  I only heard bad things about the Pangea power cords, so I would be less likely to chance their USB cable.  I only heard good things about Analysis Plus's interconnects, so I would totally roll the dice on their USB cable line.

This Oyaide would have been in your budget
http://www.pssl.com/!16QkA7wa2i!2Fv2UY2fLjA!/Oyaide-Neo-DPlus-10m-Class-S-USB-20-Cable

It's what I run into my iUSB 3.0.  Coming out of the iUSB I have a Gemini which delivers a wide stage with excessive transparency.  I alternate the Gemini with a Whiplash Polestar that may as well be the polar opposite of the Gemini, trading in the wide transparent sound for an organic signature that is hypnotic, and makes PCM far more listenable.  There's a 2008 review that said it well - "All unnatural and amusical edge, grit, glare, and other nasties that compromise sonics and contribute to listening fatigue were eliminated".  In fact the Polestar goes so far in this direction that I prefer using it w/o my iPurifier2, especially if I'm listening to DSD.  I find the highs in DSD to be less "violent" and not as easily offensive, allowing for bolder electronics in the mix.

Mar 9, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #499 of 1,320

Oh g-d. I really hope you like it, otherwise I will have to find a place to hide (or maybe I can get a second one for a discount price, but where do I hide it without my CFO [1] noticing? :wink:

Roberto

[1] Also known as wife.

Pretty sure @odevans will like the dac it changed quite a bit with 24 hour run in, not as relaxed as the first night, now a bit more open.  Strings still sound marvelous, and close mic'd voices can make you melt.  No hardness or digittitus that I can detect so far.  Check out tweakaudio.com where Ric Schultz is modding a X20U with many of the first mods easily performed by anyone.  He claims the first mods made some significant changes for the better to the sound.

I can't wait to see where this dac can go.  Definitely worth every penny.

Mar 9, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #500 of 1,320
I have a newbie type question, I currently have a usb driver on my audio PC for my current dac (NAD M51) tonight I am going to install the driver for the Gustard so I can start running thru roon and hqplayer and my modded up tone regen.  It occurred to me I may want to uninstall the NAD driver before I install the Gustard driver.  I seem to have read that is good practice as they may not play together well.  Any thoughts on this??

Mar 9, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #501 of 1,320

How's the Pangea sounding?  I only heard bad things about the Pangea power cords, so I would be less likely to chance their USB cable.  I only heard good things about Analysis Plus's interconnects, so I would totally roll the dice on their USB cable line.

This Oyaide would have been in your budget
http://www.pssl.com/!16QkA7wa2i!2Fv2UY2fLjA!/Oyaide-Neo-DPlus-10m-Class-S-USB-20-Cable

It's what I run into my iUSB 3.0.  Coming out of the iUSB I have a Gemini which delivers a wide stage with excessive transparency.  I alternate the Gemini with a Whiplash Polestar that may as well be the polar opposite of the Gemini, trading in the wide transparent sound for an organic signature that is hypnotic, and makes PCM far more listenable.  There's a 2008 review that said it well - "All unnatural and amusical edge, grit, glare, and other nasties that compromise sonics and contribute to listening fatigue were eliminated".  In fact the Polestar goes so far in this direction that I prefer using it w/o my iPurifier2, especially if I'm listening to DSD.  I find the highs in DSD to be less "violent" and not as easily offensive, allowing for bolder electronics in the mix.

I just received the Pangea USB cable today. My X20 I ordered 6 days ago is sitting at DHL in Hong Kong "On Hold" status, whatever that means. I am not impressed.

I may purchase a Tanly DCC later this month. I need to recover from SEVERAL tech related "Procurement's" over the last 60 days including a freshly serviced Sony TC-K 870 ES tape deck, many computer related components and a new Samsung 65" JS8500 4K TV.

Mar 9, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #502 of 1,320
  I have a newbie type question, I currently have a usb driver on my audio PC for my current dac (NAD M51) tonight I am going to install the driver for the Gustard so I can start running thru roon and hqplayer and my modded up tone regen.  It occurred to me I may want to uninstall the NAD driver before I install the Gustard driver.  I seem to have read that is good practice as they may not play together well.  Any thoughts on this??

Not always necessary but driver bloat can be a problem, especially with some of the XMOS features. I use "DriverStore Explorer" (RAPR) to provide high level management of unwanted drivers (runs on most versions of Windows including Win 10) .. https://driverstoreexplorer.codeplex.com/

Download the binary executable and run as administrator
Click on "Enumerate" to list all your drivers.

Mar 9, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #503 of 1,320

Not always necessary but driver bloat can be a problem, especially with some of the XMOS features. I use "DriverStore Explorer" (RAPR) to provide high level management of unwanted drivers (runs on most versions of Windows including Win 10) .. https://driverstoreexplorer.codeplex.com/

Download the binary executable and run as administrator
Click on "Enumerate" to list all your drivers.

Thanks @Triplefun, I will look into that program to manage my drivers.  By any chance does it uninstall drivers and their components if you decide to do so?

Mar 9, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #504 of 1,320

I just received the Pangea USB cable today. My X20 I ordered 6 days ago is sitting at DHL in Hong Kong "On Hold" status, whatever that means. I am not impressed.

I may purchase a Tanly DCC later this month. I need to recover from SEVERAL tech related "Procurement's" over the last 60 days including a freshly serviced Sony TC-K 870 ES tape deck, many computer related components and a new Samsung 65" JS8500 4K TV.

Bummer your DAC gets caught in Hell and mine cruised right through.  Good things come to those who wait, so they say.  You will like the dac when you get it.

Mar 9, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #505 of 1,320

Thanks @Triplefun, I will look into that program to manage my drivers.  By any chance does it uninstall drivers and their components if you decide to do so?

Yes - seems to do a good job. Was able to get rid of a lot of annoying drivers that have been hanging round for years including remnants of some old XMOS drivers. Whether it made any difference I have no idea. At least I can sleep better know my computer is not having to work so hard..

Mar 9, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #506 of 1,320

Sounds interesting. What does a Tanly DCC cost direct?

I found this site but there is no English translation so forget that.
http://world.taobao.com/item/40193288881.htm?fromSite=main&spm=a312a.7700824.w4004-1253948159.7.n449iZ

thanks

$490 shipped to NJ.  BTW that pic is of his original design with the USB port in the front.  Having a clean front panel was a popular request so he had his new layout ready in November, but couldn't get the new enclosure fabricated until recently.  The drivers he emailed to me, and they've functioned w/o issue.  I turn off my X20 when not in use but keep the Tanly on 24/7 to keep the oscillators warmed up and stable.  When I was using the U12 it was the same story -- I recall the U12 staying on even after my computer went to sleep.

I would love to see links to all the "bad things" you have heard about the Pangea power cords.

I never did my own research.  Early on in this hobby a friend loaned me a budget pangea he payed $100 for which didn't suit his system.  I recall it being dark, and would probably mate well with a system leaning on the bright side.  I've since met others who were further along the audio-procurement-cycle than I, and they reported similar impressions of their pangeas.  My impressions of budget PS-Audio was even worse.  Mine is stiff like a boomerang and makes the treble ring and lack focus.  The PS-Audio has been in storage for 2 years so I'll give it another listen this year and if it's still not a fit then I'm selling it.

Was able to get rid of a lot of annoying drivers that have been hanging round for years including remnants of some old XMOS drivers.

make sure you clean out old drivers via control panel before resorting to 3rd party utilities

Mar 9, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #507 of 1,320
Maybe you shouldn't make blanket comments about products you have no experience with. If you would do some research you will see Pangea has revamped their power cord lines. What I have is their CURRENT product and they are great bang for the buck.

$490 shipped to NJ.  BTW that pic is of his original design with the USB port in the front.  Having a clean front panel was a popular request so he had his new layout ready in November, but couldn't get the new enclosure fabricated until recently.  The drivers he emailed to me, and they've functioned w/o issue.  I turn off my X20 when not in use but keep the Tanly on 24/7 to keep the oscillators warmed up and stable.  When I was using the U12 it was the same story -- I recall the U12 staying on even after my computer went to sleep.

I never did my own research.  Early on in this hobby a friend loaned me a budget pangea he payed $100 for which didn't suit his system.  I recall it being dark, and would probably mate well with a system leaning on the bright side.  I've since met others who were further along the audio-procurement-cycle than I, and they reported similar impressions of their pangeas.  My impressions of budget PS-Audio was even worse.  Mine is stiff like a boomerang and makes the treble ring and lack focus.  The PS-Audio has been in storage for 2 years so I'll give it another listen this year and if it's still not a fit then I'm selling it.

make sure you clean out old drivers via control panel before resorting to 3rd party utilities

Users who are viewing this thread

Back