Gustard X20 DAC
Mar 4, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #481 of 1,320
My plan (for the first few weeks) is to connect the X20U to a SOtM USBexp PCI express card which I purchased used for $150 on ebay.

I don't have a "Proper" USB cable yet. Any recommendations from all you Gustard guru's out there?

I do want buy a Gustard U12 later this month or in April to check out DSD128 via IIS over HDMI to the X20 DAC.

thanks

Mar 4, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #482 of 1,320
I have the U12 and tried the same configuration you listed below and thought it detracted from the sound instead of improving it. I am curious as to others findings.

Quote:
  My plan (for the first few weeks) is to connect the X20U to a SOtM USBexp PCI express card which I purchased used for $150 on ebay.

I don't have a "Proper" USB cable yet. Any recommendations from all you Gustard guru's out there?

I do want buy a Gustard U12 later this month or in April to check out DSD128 via IIS over HDMI to the X20 DAC.

thanks

Mar 4, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #484 of 1,320

thanks

Any comments on these cables?

Analysis Plus Purple Plus USB

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Analysis-Plus-Purple-Plus-USB-Audiophile-Quality-USB-Cable-1-meter-/361312968398?hash=item541fee5ece:g:ZyEAAOSwrklVcKbj

Dyson Audio Data Influx 2.0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Handmade-Dyson-Audio-Data-Influx-2-0-Audiophile-USB-DAC-Cable-1-Meter-/261818839748?hash=item3cf59e72c4:g:AXAAAOSwpdpVabko

Straightwire USB-Link

http://www.amazon.com/Straightwire-USB-Link-Audiophile-Grade-Digtial/dp/B019ECUMZ2/ref=sr_1_6?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1457128665&sr=1-6&keywords=audiophile+usb+cable&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_five_browse-bin%3A7800924011

Pangea Audio - USB cable - PCOCC & 4% silver - 1 Meter

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pangea-Audio-USB-cable-PCOCC-4-silver-1-Meter-/262305114565?hash=item3d129a69c5:g:028AAOSwNSxVVOID

Thanks

Mar 6, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #485 of 1,320

I ordered one about 12 noon today E.S.T. from FOREXMEN on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GUSTARD-DAC-X20U-Super-Ultimate-HIFI-DAC-2xES9018-XMOS-USB-384KHZ-DSD64-128-256-/111708547958?hash=item1a02592b76:g:2cgAAOSwu4BVlAb8

Within a 5 minutes I got an email from a real live person requesting my phone number for DHL shipping. I replied and got another immediate "Thank You" reply.
Nice.

I looked at the other sellers but of which one was cheaper. There were 2 things that made my choice easy:
1- eBay/Paypal buyer protection
2- This vendor had a lengthy proven track record and high rating.

I might have gone with "Worthy Audio" but I just do not know much about them or see a track record yet. Maybe I'll try them for something that doesn't cost nearly $1000 first.

My plan is to connect the X20U to a SOtM USBexp PCI express card which I purchased used for $150 on ebay.

thanks

I woke up to find a DHL tracking number for my X20U this morning..... All-right!!!!

I also ordered a Pangea Audio PCOCC & 4% silver   .5 meter USB cable from Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005AWQ47G?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Someone in another Forum pointed to these cables as options yesterday

Curious usb 280mm Hugo Link
Forza Audio Works Copper Series Twin USB
Wywires Silver DIGITAL AUDIO CABLES
Silver Dragon USB Cable by Moon Audio

I am considering a 2ft Silver Dragon USB Cable by Moon Audio
This is within my price range at $160

Mar 7, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #487 of 1,320
My Gustard which shipped last tuesday hit Cincinnati Saturday so expect it today or Tuesday.

Is anyone else having problems connecting with the http://pan.baidu site to download drivers?  I have now tried multiple times and my computers will not connect with those sites including the english manual download site, which I now have a copy of thanks to another member.  My understanding is the supplied cd with the driver is the earlier 2.6 version, I was hoping to use the 3.2 version.

Mar 7, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #488 of 1,320
  My Gustard which shipped last tuesday hit Cincinnati Saturday so expect it today or Tuesday.

Is anyone else having problems connecting with the http://pan.baidu site to download drivers?  I have now tried multiple times and my computers will not connect with those sites including the english manual download site, which I now have a copy of thanks to another member.  My understanding is the supplied cd with the driver is the earlier 2.6 version, I was hoping to use the 3.2 version.

MSG me your email address and I will send it to you as a ZIP file.

I had a helluva time getting through myself. It took a few hours of timing along with different web browsers.

Mar 8, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #489 of 1,320

I woke up to find a DHL tracking number for my X20U this morning..... All-right!!!!

I also ordered a Pangea Audio PCOCC & 4% silver   .5 meter USB cable from Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005AWQ47G?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Someone in another Forum pointed to these cables as options yesterday

Curious usb 280mm Hugo Link
Forza Audio Works Copper Series Twin USB
Wywires Silver DIGITAL AUDIO CABLES
Silver Dragon USB Cable by Moon Audio

I am considering a 2ft Silver Dragon USB Cable by Moon Audio
This is within my price range at $160

MhzTweaker,

I don't know if it is in your price range, but I just ordered a Pi Audio USB cable. It comes in .75m ($299) and 1.5m lengths. I bought the 1.5m for $349. It ought to be delivered in 10 days or so. I'll report any impressions once the cable has settled down.

This will be my first cable from Dave of PI Audio, but I already own his UberBUSS and DigiBUSS, so I know what kind of quality products he sells.

Mar 8, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #490 of 1,320
Gustard X20U is in the house, DHL showed up at work at 6:30 PM, good thing we work late Monday and Tuesday.  Got home opened the top to look at insides, pretty much the same as the more recent pictures show.  Then because it was later just hooked it up to the oppo BPD-103 streaming tidal via coax into the Gustard and let it run for one hour with amps off, then fired up amps and listened to part of one song, back upstairs for another hour then settled down to listen for 3 1/2 hours.

Gustard had 2 hours music signal running thru it when I sat to listen and 5 1/2 when I went to bed.  So a long ways from break in.  I used the sharp filter setting and auto for the clock mode, straight PCM 16/44.  First word that hangs with me is RELAXED, almost dark sound but listening to familiar tracks I was still hearing the subtle highs they contained and perhaps even picking up some new or more "focused" sounds.  I quickly realized this DAC loves strings of all instruments, guitars, violins, cellos, double basses all bloomed perhaps a slight touch less emphasis on the pluck of the string but more emphasis on the sustain of the string and the body of the instrument.  I was very involved with every type of music I played, a really good thing.  There is a lot yet to be discover about this DAC as it burns in and I perform a few simple mods.  So we will see where it ends up.  For now I would confidently say for $870 it is worth every penny, can't wait to hook it up to my audio PC with roon, HQPlayer, jitterbug and up tone regen with linear PSU based on belleson super regulators.

FYI- I ordered it Sunday evening 2/28 from forexman on ebay and I received it Monday March 8th, I live in E. TN.  not bad

Mar 8, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #491 of 1,320
  http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Asynchronous-USB-interface-DoP-over-SPDIF-DSD-I2S-over-HDMI-LVDS-SDIF-3-XMOS/1982763625.html
I like that it uses a standard power plug (as does the U12), though it would be nice if it revealed the incoming sampling rate.

Where can the Tanly be purchased these days as it's no longer carried at the link above.

thanks

Mar 8, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #492 of 1,320

How's the Pangea sounding?  I only heard bad things about the Pangea power cords, so I would be less likely to chance their USB cable.  I only heard good things about Analysis Plus's interconnects, so I would totally roll the dice on their USB cable line.

This Oyaide would have been in your budget
http://www.pssl.com/!16QkA7wa2i!2Fv2UY2fLjA!/Oyaide-Neo-DPlus-10m-Class-S-USB-20-Cable

It's what I run into my iUSB 3.0.  Coming out of the iUSB I have a Gemini which delivers a wide stage with excessive transparency.  I alternate the Gemini with a Whiplash Polestar that may as well be the polar opposite of the Gemini, trading in the wide transparent sound for an organic signature that is hypnotic, and makes PCM far more listenable.  There's a 2008 review that said it well - "All unnatural and amusical edge, grit, glare, and other nasties that compromise sonics and contribute to listening fatigue were eliminated".  In fact the Polestar goes so far in this direction that I prefer using it w/o my iPurifier2, especially if I'm listening to DSD.  I find the highs in DSD to be less "violent" and not as easily offensive, allowing for bolder electronics in the mix.

Mar 8, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #493 of 1,320

Where can the Tanly be purchased these days as it's no longer carried at the link above.

thanks

So you ask about the elusive Tanly?  One must climb Mt. Huashan and from the peak email tanly.tam at gmail

I paid him on a Thursday and it left Jiangmen Shi, Guangdong, China the same day.  Was on my porch in NJ on Monday morning!

Tanly Tam built a DDC with Crystek 957 oscillators that clocks DSD256 over IIS to the X20.  It's supposed to do 512 but I have yet to find a DSD512 download.  My HydraZ+X20 couldn't lock *any* DSD signal over IIS (AES worked but is limited to DSD64) and I was afraid it might have been the X20's fault.  I've had the Tanly for a week and it's proven my X20 has no issues.  I use JRiver21 to create DSD64 and DSD128 DSF files, but they're huge so I only convert my favorite stuff.  JRiver's DSP Studio can do DSD256 on-the-fly which is impressive, but I suspect all forms of statically converted DSF's are sounding better (played with bitstreaming=DSD and the DSP Studio disabled).  Also DSD256 on-the-fly requires a 250ms buffer on my 3rd gen i7 workstation (2% CPU!) and 500ms on my 6th gen i3 NUC.  

I'm on nearfield monitors right now and I don't have my U12 with me.  Once I've setup my 2ch listening room (and I have my U12) I'll be able to write up an objective evaluation of the Tanly.  For now I have zero regrets.

Mar 9, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #494 of 1,320
  [...] I quickly realized this DAC loves strings of all instruments, guitars, violins, cellos, double basses all bloomed perhaps a slight touch less emphasis on the pluck of the string but more emphasis on the sustain of the string and the body of the instrument. 

Indeed, in general plucked instruments sound especially realistic.  The decay of the string harmonics in the whole spectrum, as well as the resonance, are very well reproduced.  Also the transients are really excellent (something that does not always happen with sigma delta converters) but not excessively accented like in some other DACs that are very appreciated in certain audiophile circles.   Consider the Playful Pizzicato from Britten's Simple Symphony in a good recording, for instance.  Also bowed strings come out very well, BTW.

Roberto

Mar 9, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #495 of 1,320
Indeed, in general plucked instruments sound especially realistic.  The decay of the string sound in the thole spectrum, as well as the resonance, are very well reproduced.  Also the transients are really excellent (something that does not always happen with sigma delta converters) but not excessively accented like in some other DACs that are very appreciated in certain audiophile circles.   Consider the Playful Pizzicato from Britten's Simple Symphony in a good recording, for instance.  Also bowed strings come out very well, BTW.

Roberto

I've been umm-ing about this dac for while, though I believe you have just sold it to me. Sounds like perfection :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back