Gustard X20 DAC
Dec 22, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #1,126 of 1,320
@GuyUnder, is the top off the dac? That will cause the sounds you describe, if so put cover back on. Then what CPU are you running for 512, usually a under powered CPU will stutter. What is your connection between bridge and dac and length? Shorter better. 512 pushes this chip, any thing out of whack can cause noise. Good shielded connections, short runs be best.

The CPU is very powerful. Cover is on, but I'll experiment with cable length -- well shielded connectors I can't claim that I have. I would really like to make this work as I can hear the kernel of extreme clarity through the artifacts...

Feb 7, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #1,131 of 1,320

The pro has dual ESS9028 chips and the non-pro has dual ESS9018 chips thats the biggest difference besides a few more selectable filters in the pro vs. the non pro.  Ric Schultz the creator of the Mods claims the 9028 is far superior, I think that is a overstatement, sure it may be better but far superior I doubt.  Considering the small cost difference I would opt for the pro over the non pro but if buying used and the price is right the non-pro is a heck of a dac.  It takes mods very well and small easy mods can improve the sound a lot.  My 9018 X20u is now modded to accept DSD512 signals and sounds stunning in my hi-resolution system.  I had compared it, in my system, to the T+A dac 8 DSD both running single ended at DSD512 and I slightly preferred the T+A which should win as it cost $4000.  Run the T+A balanced and it is way better than the gustard.

Feb 10, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #1,133 of 1,320

I have never heard a stock older Gustard versus a stock Gustard Pro.  But I have heard lots of modded older Gustards and now have two modded newer Gustard Pros here.  I expected there would be slightly more detail with the newer chip.  I was wrong.  It is a new paradigm.  I am hearing things on my discs I never heard on the older Gustard even with more mods.  The new chips sound like they lowered the distortion and noise by a lot.  You hear air, shimmers, inner details and ambience and delicacies that I never thought were on the disc.  It literally made me cry after doing half of the basic mod.  The stock Pro sounds good but is really just boring once you hear what the mods do.  There is so much magic in this thing.  This is the first time in years that I have really enjoyed listening to music.  I want one of these things.  I have custom self made superb dipole planar mids and highs speakers and class A fet amp and good wires and tons of tweaking but never did it sound like this.  The source has to be great or the system is just boring.  My system is no longer boring with this modded Gustard in here.  I am not upsampling or anything.  Just listening to CDs and 24/96 discs out of the coax out of my modded Oppo 103D.  I know that upsampling to DSD512 using HQplayer is suppose to be a whole nuther level......but this level that I am at is a world better than anything I have ever had.  If upsampling is that much better than I guess I will be crying a river!

Feb 20, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #1,134 of 1,320
Ric called me last week all excited about a new Mod for the Gustatd (pro and non-pro) he said it is one of the best he has come up with.  I installed his new mod this weekend and I must say it made a very noticeable positive improvement to the sound.  The most obvious being more body and weight to everything.  This leads to more presence and appearance of a wider and deeper stage filled with more information.  He is talking of providing this mod at a price well below his Level 1, possibly combining it withe some other minor tweak which has positive sound results as well.  If he does so it will be one of the cheapest ways you can really improve your SQ.

Feb 20, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #1,135 of 1,320
I did some my changes as well. I replaced all electrolytic capacitors to different branches but same value. Mostly Chemicon, Epcos and Elna. Result is fantastic, much better then expected.
More detail, more subtle highs, deeper sound stage and much more 3D.

I'm curious now what Ric created this time :)

Feb 20, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #1,136 of 1,320
What capacitors did you use where? What was the theory on replacing them? Lower ESR, lower df/da?

The stock caps are the lowliest of the Nichicon Muse "Gold Tune" capacitors - what caps where do you find better?

I often go with higher voltages or values when replacing, especially next to loads. Using too low ESR at the regulator output can make it unstable, though I think this is not a problem with most of the regulators Gustard used (ie they're not that fast, wide bandwidth).

Feb 20, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #1,137 of 1,320
6800uF 35V Epcos B4123 6pcs  - more detail in mostly mid range, subtle highs
470uF 35V Chemicon LXZ  6pcs - more detail, lovely quick punch bass
100uF 25V Chemicon LXZ 12 pcs - wider and deeper sound stage, smooth vocal

I was replacing them in groups in two week gaps so that's why I now all the changes, specially after burn in time. Epcos improve straight after replacement, other caps needed from few hours up to couple days to show full SQ.

My friend use 12 pcs 100uF Chemicon LXV , other caps same - vocal isn't so smooth but the reverb longer
He also tried 2+2 (left and right side) 470uF with Chemicon KZE, it was really bad, highs lost clarity

I also recommend copper adhesive foil over the transformers. Obviously need to be connected with ground after that. It will improve sound stage.

Feb 20, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #1,139 of 1,320

I also experimented with different transformers..I used branch 'toroidy' 100VA. I don't now, was it to much VA against original 50 or generally bad quality.. lost some part of detail but the worse was the low freq. Bad control etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back