Gustard X20 DAC
Dec 21, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #1,113 of 1,320
  Just got my X20pro, got some issues, anyone knows how to remove the flat ribbons? Are they using non zif connectors? Thanks in advance.

What are you going to replace them with?  Those ribbons carry the I2S data and are critical for the operation of this dac.  I guess they are zif connectors that require a touch more force to remove and re-insert.  The master chip for the I2S appears to be on the LCD board, which came as a shock to me when Simon tried to go from a HDMI to i2s board directly to the LVDS chip on the output board with no success due to Gustard's routing of the signals.

Dec 21, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #1,115 of 1,320

It's a bit sad to see the amount of erroneous negative posts lately about this fabulous DAC. Mostly by new members. I guess Im just paranoid with all the press coverage lately about false news and false information. 

Dec 21, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #1,118 of 1,320
  so the origional X20U is better than the new pro version?

Everyone,
Look over on whats best forum under digital audio, EVS modified Gustard, P11 post 103.  Ric has a new pro in house he is modding and makes comments on its sound vs the "old" x20u (9018 based).  The old or new Gustards really don't have issues except they punch way above their price level in sound.  Stock this dac is great, Modded this dac is amazing and if you can get 512 you are almost in sonic nirvana.

Based on gustards release schedule it will probably be a year before they ship 9038 based dac's.  The 9028 was pretty much a drop in on existing boards the 9038 is an entire different matter.  If singxer can get their external usb to i2s unit (su1) to up sample to DSD512, then everyone with a x20 will be grinning from ear to ear.  I did it the hard way but the sound is worth every bit of the effort, 512 is where the magic happens.

Dec 21, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #1,119 of 1,320
  Hi,

Thanks for all the replies.

Shenzenaudio did reply to me with a note that a 2025 battery should be used, since it is 0.5mm thinner than the 2032 maybe the cover will sit flush when it's in.

@Triplefun, thanks - I did download the ISO and will see how it goes.

@divinearun , the manual is on the USB stick, there's no printed manual.

@Ric Schultz, I did read your mod descriptions and they are very helpful, but I'm sticking to putting shields on the AC wiring and permalloy sheets between the transformer enclosure and the rest of the DAC. Stray flux fields are a problem, and we all know they couple through the current-carrying wires, and I hope to fix this through shielding. I cannot defeat the fusing or switching, as this unit technically belongs to a group of people and I am not going to always be able to control its environment or users.

Where I do agree with you is the output stage, Gustard didn't even bother to put in a Bal-SE converter of any kind, so the RCA outputs will continue to have very poor common-mode rejection. In a DAC this can be fairly significant source of distortion. The output stage is also needlessly complicated - they have I/V and LPF based on opamps, followed by a discrete buffer (that looks suspiciously like a power amplifier/diamond buffer design except with SMT components). The balanced outputs should be okay, except passing through such a long chain will not be a good thing.

I would personally not use transformers on the output of  a low-compliance DAC like the 90x8 chips unless I was chasing sonics - and for that there are other, better candidates than any from the ESS stable.

Also the output stage negative supplies are derived from positive supplies and even though they have shunt regulators on both rails and local cap multipliers, I don't like supplies generated this way. Again, modding all of this is not on the cards at the moment but I do want to be seized of the design issues.

I see your point on the compensation but it's not a toggle (far as I know), it requires programming the DAC to match/compensate a specific output stage. At least that's what I make of it - could be wrong as ESS is quite short on technical detail on every feature. Hopefully it will mellow down with time - but none of the DACs I have exhibited that sort of behaviour. It was more about me getting used to the(ir) sound. Let's hope this one is different.

Everything I do makes the sound better.  The shielding you suggest might do something, but my AC mods are simply killer.  But, you will not know, unless you try.  I completely disagree about needing a balanced to single ended converter.  These actually screw up the sound.  For instance, The Yggy has a balanced to single ended converter and actually sounds better when run single ended out of the balanced out connector.  The output stage on the stock Gustard is not a problem......I know, I have made it better but not much.  The transformer output stage is the best I have tried, so far, but the stock stage is really, really good.  However, the stock unit is good, nothing more.  Modded, it is simply killer and I am just beginning.  The new 9028 DAC chips in the Pro combined with having more digital filter options (apodizing is sounding great, right now) takes this DAC way, way out there.....with mods, that is.

Dec 21, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #1,120 of 1,320
Everyone,

Look over on whats best forum under digital audio, EVS modified Gustard, P11 post 103.  Ric has a new pro in house he is modding and makes comments on its sound vs the "old" x20u (9018 based).  The old or new Gustards really don't have issues except they punch way above their price level in sound.  Stock this dac is great, Modded this dac is amazing and if you can get 512 you are almost in sonic nirvana.

Based on gustards release schedule it will probably be a year before they ship 9038 based dac's.  The 9028 was pretty much a drop in on existing boards the 9038 is an entire different matter.  If singxer can get their external usb to i2s unit (su1) to up sample to DSD512, then everyone with a x20 will be grinning from ear to ear.  I did it the hard way but the sound is worth every bit of the effort, 512 is where the magic happens.

I bought this LKS I2S bridge off eBay because it had an Amanero USB board plus a little 5v external linear power supply -- it claimed to be able to handle DSD 512, but attempting to output that via JRiver results in a bad hiss noise which quiets down and the sound starts to do this wired volume ossilation left to right....basically unlistenable. Both the bridge and X20 shows DSD 512 so I dont know what's up...

Dec 21, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #1,121 of 1,320

What are you going to replace them with?  Those ribbons carry the I2S data and are critical for the operation of this dac.  I guess they are zif connectors that require a touch more force to remove and re-insert.  The master chip for the I2S appears to be on the LCD board, which came as a shock to me when Simon tried to go from a HDMI to i2s board directly to the LVDS chip on the output board with no success due to Gustard's routing of the signals.

Will be replacing the main board. Looks like LIF connectors, doesn't have those retaining tabs. Wish me luck :D

Dec 21, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #1,122 of 1,320

It's a bit sad to see the amount of erroneous negative posts lately about this fabulous DAC. Mostly by new members. I guess Im just paranoid with all the press coverage lately about false news and false information. 

I've the unit (X20 pro) less then a week, love the DAC, but encountered some problems. I'm able up-sampled to DSD256 with the provided drivers in foobar. :)  May update once I get it sorted out.

Dec 21, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #1,123 of 1,320
@GuyUnder, is the top off the dac? That will cause the sounds you describe, if so put cover back on. Then what CPU are you running for 512, usually a under powered CPU will stutter. What is your connection between bridge and dac and length? Shorter better. 512 pushes this chip, any thing out of whack can cause noise. Good shielded connections, short runs be best.

Dec 21, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #1,124 of 1,320
I have one of the new X20u DACs with the ES9028 chip. It came working and continues to work despite my messing about inside and voiding the warranty! I've put a cheaper AudioQuest power cable on it and done several of Ric's mods and they make an improvement. My system has never sounded so good. I want to publicly thank him for posting his changes repeatedly and Gustard modding experiences FOR FREE to you all when its his profession. Giving it away doesn't pay the bills, though I also feel the excitement at having such a great sounding audiophile product at an affordable price.

I am disappointed to hear that a Chinese reseller possibly isn't testing units before shipping them out. That, shipping, logistics, currency exchange, and customer service is the value they are providing for the $200 premium over what these DACs sell for on a Chinese language site, priced in Yuan. Perhaps they are overwhelmed with orders and one or two units slipped by untested.

Dec 21, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #1,125 of 1,320
Quote:

I think that was aimed at me so I'll respond.

I am new here, no problems with that. However, none of what I said is false. I can provide a photo of my unit and a serial number to your PM box. You can check with Shenzen about whether my unit is genuine or not, and therefore whether the post is based on falsehood or not. I also freely admit that fake news is an issue everywhere and you've a right to be paranoid, however I don't intend to prove my credentials. You can assign any weight you like to my opinion, and any weight you like on anyone else's opinion. It won't make a difference to me.

As for it being erroneous, the mechanical aspects of the issues are personally experienced, so you're basically calling me a liar as it belies my direct experience. On the technical aspects, I don't intend to argue as my experience is that belief is usually much stronger than scientific temperament, and thus also much more difficult to have a logical conversation with. I have no intentions of going into a lengthy debate - however anyone who knows even the basics of digital converter design will know what's what.

Peace out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back