Gustard U18
Jul 29, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #1,801 of 1,996
The SR Master fuse is ridiculously priced. If it was $299 I would still understand but $595 is out of this world.

If money is no object than go to town with it! I have briefly heard a local friend's R26 with the Master Fuse and I was definitely impressed.
Even at $398 for two purple fuses (buy 2 for $199 each and get one free) is ridiculous enough. Purple fuses are my end game as they say

Jul 29, 2023 at 11:43 PM Post #1,802 of 1,996
Even at $398 for two purple fuses (buy 2 for $199 each and get one free) is ridiculous enough. Purple fuses are my end game as they say
Purple fuses can definitely be an end game fuse. My own humble experience was that fuse pricing was proportional to the sound quality (subjectively!). The SR master fuse is not an improvement over the basic sound of the Purple, it sounds different, there are people who like the purple better for the thicker sound and its bloom. I use one Master fuse in each of my DACs which dramatically inproves detail and layering, while other equipment in the chain retains their Purple fuses.

My wallet is still crying...

Disclaimer: I paid for all fuses out of my own pocket. The difference in sound could be my imagination,the lighter wallet after paying for them isn't.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2023 at 3:49 AM Post #1,803 of 1,996
what might physics say about high-end fuses
maybe 1% better sound
and gives 300 dollars for
try doing a-b tests on alm and high end
it has shown in blind tests that there is no difference
a gustard fuses with gold on the poles might give 1%
It goes without saying that the ac socket is made of really bad tin
If you have an ac socket that works, it must be gold-plated for resistance
when coming behind ,the ac inlet are there 4 poles,
of 3mm wide to the transformer, already there, it makes a bad sound.
so fuses have no effect.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #1,804 of 1,996
what might physics say about high-end fuses
maybe 1% better sound
and gives 300 dollars for
try doing a-b tests on alm and high end
it has shown in blind tests that there is no difference
a gustard fuses with gold on the poles might give 1%
It goes without saying that the ac socket is made of really bad tin
If you have an ac socket that works, it must be gold-plated for resistance
when coming behind ,the ac inlet are there 4 poles,
of 3mm wide to the transformer, already there, it makes a bad sound.
so fuses have no effect.

No offense but fuses do affect the capacitors which in turn affect the signal chain, basing audio strictly on measurements and "science" sounds like something the ASR crowd would do. Fuses for audio have been around for quite sometime now, even Paul from PS Audio confirmed that he had listened to many prototype fuses over the years and they all changed his audio systems somehow.

Jul 30, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #1,805 of 1,996
There is an interesting youtube video posted by Synergistic Research:

Here the differences between Purple and Master fuses are well audible. I agree that it is not really a matter of better or worse, as it was said a few posts above, and that it comes down to personal preference.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #1,806 of 1,996
ps audio, I don't give much for now.
I have been in a blind test, with 10 people, on high-end hifi for 90,000 dollars
with 6 different fuses, could not hear much, difference the cheap fuse
and fuses to 300 dollars.
it was discussed if the fuses were to work, you would need a 20awg wire
inside fuse
project I want to do
there are 2 electronics engineers helping me
will make with gustard u18 to avoid fuse, and connect direct power supply
with ifi power elite for
gustard u18 sounds good

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #1,807 of 1,996
Aug 4, 2023 at 11:01 PM Post #1,809 of 1,996
This depends on the cable, remember you are using 2 clock cables when you connect clock to both U18 and X26 Pro. With the right cables, you will be able to bring the mids forward back to where you like. I am using the same combo as yours and I can say that connecting clock to both U18 and X26 Pro brings the detail levels to a new height, up to high end audio standard.

For reference, I am using Cybershaft blue cable to U18 and Harmonic Tech to X26 Pro, and I also like mids sounding forward so that solo singer is like singing in the room.

BTW, finally received my second Harmonic Copper III 50ohm cable and is hooked up between my U18 and Ock 2 in Squarewave, so far it's been the same experience as before, vocals and mids are pushed back from where I would prefer it.
With U18 in INT mode, it sounds more musical with the mids and vocals closer to you.

Maybe this will change with some apparent burn in, I shall see!

Aug 6, 2023 at 10:28 PM Post #1,810 of 1,996
BTW, finally received my second Harmonic Copper III 50ohm cable and is hooked up between my U18 and Ock 2 in Squarewave, so far it's been the same experience as before, vocals and mids are pushed back from where I would prefer it.
With U18 in INT mode, it sounds more musical with the mids and vocals closer to you.

Just out of curiosity, is the Harmonic cable’s arrows pointed into the U18? Meaning, the output is from the OCK-2 into the U18.

Aug 6, 2023 at 11:19 PM Post #1,811 of 1,996
Just out of curiosity, is the Harmonic cable’s arrows pointed into the U18? Meaning, the output is from the OCK-2 into the U18.

Arrows? I don't see any arrows.

Aug 6, 2023 at 11:24 PM Post #1,812 of 1,996
Arrows? I don't see any arrows.
There are arrows on the sleeving, at least on mine there are. You should check with a light. It should be pointing into your sources (DAC, DDC).

Aug 7, 2023 at 1:37 AM Post #1,813 of 1,996

You are using both Harmonic Tech cables from OCK2 to U18 and to DAC? Personally, I don't like using 2 Harmonic Tech cables together, the sound is too soft to my taste. Try mix it with other brands, I use only Harmonic Tech from OCK2 to DAC.

BTW, you know just changing power cables can bring vocals closer as well, right? power cables like Audience does that for me.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2023 at 9:13 AM Post #1,814 of 1,996
You are using both Harmonic Tech cables from OCK2 to U18 and to DAC? Personally, I don't like using 2 Harmonic Tech cables together, the sound is too soft to my taste. Try mix it with other brands, I use only Harmonic Tech from OCK2 to DAC.

BTW, you know just changing power cables can bring vocals closer as well, right? power cables like Audience does that for me.
I think I spoke too soon on that.

With some burn in the differences between having U18 on INT and EXT is getting narrower. With EXT mode, looks like there is more separation and balance now as well has dynamics boost. This can go really well with more forward sounding headphones or more forward sounding amps like the V222.

I didn't notice the sound being too soft with both harmonic copper III cables, but that is good to know that my system can be sensitive to specific BNC cables.

Aug 7, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #1,815 of 1,996
I think I spoke too soon on that.

With some burn in the differences between having U18 on INT and EXT is getting narrower. With EXT mode, looks like there is more separation and balance now as well has dynamics boost. This can go really well with more forward sounding headphones or more forward sounding amps like the V222.

I didn't notice the sound being too soft with both harmonic copper III cables, but that is good to know that my system can be sensitive to specific BNC cables.
Every system is different, maybe in your system 2 harmonic tech cables can work together.

Harmonic tech clock cables need long time to run in. The first 72 hours seem to sound good on vocals but less separation between instruments, after 72 hours vocals will start to sound thin, but separation will be better and better. Everything will come together after 300 hours, you will have airy vocals with good instrument separation then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back