Gustard U18
Apr 13, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #646 of 1,992
The vendor of these fuse advises me here in Europe , for the 630 ma that it gives better result without any risks . What are asking Gustard or using as standard for their U18 ?
On the fuse it says 250 V, so I think you should be fine with 500 mA… Some manufacturers recommend less Amperage with higher Voltage . This from Farad 3 LPS Manual on fuses: “we recommend using a 800mA slow blow 5x20 for 230Vac versions and a 1.6A slow for 115Vac input versions”

Apr 14, 2022 at 1:05 AM Post #648 of 1,992
Do you think that adding a ipurifier 3 usb filter to the u18 , that it would be a good idea, it seems to me that it would be a dubble use for the same objective
U18 already has galvanic isolation in place. No need to use it

Apr 14, 2022 at 1:10 AM Post #649 of 1,992
Anyone
Do you think that adding a ipurifier 3 usb filter to the u18 , that it would be a good idea, it seems to me that it would be a dubble use for the same objective
Usually always a yes but you will need a idefender and do external power to hear the benefits. Otherwise the purifier will get the power from the laptop or streamer and you will end up with a worse sound. After years of trying devices, 'galvanic isolation' doesn't really mean anything in decoupling/isolation from upstream for better SQ.

Apr 14, 2022 at 2:54 AM Post #651 of 1,992
I mean we can put these reconstruction devices in series and there is no end to it. Let U18 do its job of removing noise and signal reconstruction. Adding more devices that does the same like signal reconstruction etc will only make it worse.

Apr 14, 2022 at 3:12 AM Post #652 of 1,992
After the initial impression that by adding Idefendert + Elite power I got the quality of the resolution, shortly after I removed it from the USB line.
Idefender did bring a shade of better resolution, but it also brought unnecessary brightness to all sounds
Of course, this is in my system and my impressions

Apr 14, 2022 at 3:24 AM Post #653 of 1,992
After the initial impression that by adding Idefendert + Elite power I got the quality of the resolution, shortly after I removed it from the USB line.
Idefender did bring a shade of better resolution, but it also brought unnecessary brightness to all sounds
Of course, this is in my system and my impressions
This is with usb purifier?

Apr 14, 2022 at 3:28 AM Post #654 of 1,992
no
clean power, and remove, dc offset
provides better sound, especially ,in bass and midrange
and high quality usbcable
have tested it 200mhz isolation, is somewhat flat, for laptop without anything
clean power, from the laptop, are key words here
dc offset, also gives something

Apr 14, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #655 of 1,992
no
clean power, and remove, dc offset
provides better sound, especially ,in bass and midrange
and high quality usbcable
have tested it 200mhz isolation, is somewhat flat, for laptop without anything
clean power, from the laptop, are key words here
dc offset, also gives something
Please don't toss around jargons at your whim if you don't understand what they mean.
I have seen you quote "you tested this and that" and you have been called out elsewhere.

You want to quote your subjective impressions - that's fine. Let's not try to co-relate them to some imaginary scientific metric / measurements to justify them.
And no, I do not represent Cargo Cult Science websites like ASR before you jump to that conclusion :)

Apr 14, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #656 of 1,992
I ve tried the Ifi ipurifier 3 on the U18... just curious , well, in my loudspeaker system , it gives a brighter sound , may be too bright , i didn't use the idefender + , because you have to get a power supply or power bank apparently .

On the other hand, on my qutest for my headphone system, even thoug that the chord qutest has a galvanic isolation, it brought more resolution from my PC.

with the zen stream , it didn't add something special , didn't like the combination though .

Moral of the story, ...it works well with some devices and less good matching with other devices .

Next step the purple SR fuse .... ont the Gustard U18.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022 at 10:47 PM Post #658 of 1,992
I ve tried the Ifi ipurifier 3 on the U18... just curious , well, in my loudspeaker system , it gives a brighter sound , may be too bright , i didn't use the idefender + , because you have to get a power supply or power bank apparently .

On the other hand, on my qutest for my headphone system, even thoug that the chord qutest has a galvanic isolation, it brought more resolution from my PC.

with the zen stream , it didn't add something special , didn't like the combination though .

Moral of the story, ...it works well with some devices and less good matching with other devices .

Next step the purple SR fuse .... ont the Gustard U18.
Yep precisely shows that u18 and any device that is "galvanic isolated" will still have SQ differences depending on the upstream chain. Also shows how inadequate an APx555 is.

Apr 15, 2022 at 2:01 AM Post #660 of 1,992
I will receive a LPs 12 v for the zen stream and my switch netgear. I ll add idefender +. We ll see in both cases ipurifier gustard + denafrips pontus in i2s + zen stream + idefender on one hand .

And with the qutest chord on the other hand with pc not laptop . Here again with occ Cooper USB cable and ipurifier gives already substantial better results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back