Gustard U18
Apr 12, 2022 at 1:43 AM Post #631 of 1,992
In a simple setup, coax sounds better. But I exceed the coax performance by doing
Zen stream > idefender > ipurifier > cosemi optical USB cable > idefender > purifier > dac.
I use diy silver occ couplers where needed and idefender on both upstream and downstream is powered (including zen stream) up to 60x lt3045 + custom psu + line conditioner. And it can beat 15k usd streamers with no sweat.

Part of the magic is making the zen stream tap to my phone's 5ghz hotspot and stream tidal and local files on my phone. It literally doubles the SQ performance and saves a lot of money from Audiophile level modem,router, switches and sfp+ devices.

Previously used a fanless Intel NUC clone as a dedicated streamer running windows server 2012 + audio optimizer + fidelizer + HQplayer powered by HDPLEX with silver dc cables + line conditioner. While this was a huge improvement, zen streamer is much better. Zen stream is also sensitive in a shared wifi environment so the phone trick works out. When my tablet was downloading from Netflix I can hear that interference in my sound playback.

This week I'm doing a zen stream coax vs CDT to test my chain and new custom psu. Both will passthrough a spdif purifier with 100x lt3045. So it'll be interesting to add a u18 in between my USB chain and the spdif purifier and see how that performs.
I have Zen Stream on my list. Thank you.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #632 of 1,992
Cross posting from X26 Pro thread.

"I swapped to the SR Purple fuses last night in both my X26 Pro and U18 and I heard extra airiness or ambiance in the treble but the bass seemed weaker. I know it's too early to make judgements so I will give it 200 hours of burn in and reaccess."

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 7:30 AM Post #633 of 1,992
Cross posting from X26 Pro thread.

"I swapped to the SR Purple fuses last night in both my X26 Pro and U18 and I heard extra airiness or ambiance in the treble but the bass seemed weaker. I know it's too early to make judgements so I will give it 200 hours of burn in and reaccess."
Please let us know your findings when that time comes. I'm trying to decide if I want to go with the purple fuses or the upgrade Gustard fuses for $25 each

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #634 of 1,992
Please let us know your findings when that time comes. I'm trying to decide if I want to go with the purple fuses or the upgrade Gustard fuses for $25 each
I had the Gustard fuses in my X26p and U18 and went with purples. The Gustards are better than the ones they came with but the purples weren't sent back after their 30 day trial period is all I'll say. I'm not one to blow $400 on fuses without very good reason.

Also this retailer has a good deal on them this month if you can use 3 of them. https://www.thecableco.com/specials/synergistic-research's-new-purple-fuses-buy-2-get-1-free.html

Apr 13, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #635 of 1,992
Hi Everybody .My experience with my Gustard DDC U18. I have a pontus 2 denafrips with an exposure 3510 amplifier, on one hand on the other hand, for my headphone listening system, the qutest and a...simple monprice headphone amp 6w, or a tube amplifier for my Abyss tC on basis of 300 B tubes .

I had the singxer su1 previously and it gave me the opportunity to compare . No measurements here, only ears working ...

To make a long story short, the results are astonishing , as i speak not in terms of performances but in terms of musicality . it's only good, more resolving , god damn fine, and i didn't even go to the SR purple fuse .

With my loudspeakers connected to the server roon and the U18 gustard, in goes far better in terms of credibility soundwise speaking, open space , the instruments , and the voices , really great .

with the Zen stream, its a bit different, i don't find back the resolution that i have with my PC as source for roon or audirvana , the last is more musical ( audirvana ) but Roon is more practical for use , that's a choice, i have them both

Then for the Zen stream i will use the ipurifier and a an external psu in order to optimize , at this stage , it's not bad with the U18 , on the contrary, but comparable with a server, or a nucleus , or an optimized audio PC , they are not playing in the same league

I think, belonging the denafrips pontus, that a Gaia or a Hermes, should be performing better, but i m not sure of it, and regarding the price, the U18 Gustard goes in terms of musicality, quality and price , for the thrith of the price, in a audiophile world , well ....

that brings without putting questions measurements , us in a consideration which can put us with normally the best of it in measures , jitter etc ...and pardoxally a better sounding unit .

What i have to add, is that synergy , cables , with me personally, played a huge rol in order to get the best of it

One question for you guys, i m know about to order the SR Purple fuse , the which one do i have to buy the ( 5x20mm ? ) + 500 or 630 ma ? Thanks for the last, i ve read here the both 500 ma or 630 ma , please let me know

Thanks for all of you , somethimes our reality is not the same reality for others, that the charm of this passion !

Apr 13, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #636 of 1,992
I received the U18 about a week ago mainly to get I2S to the Rockna Wavedream. Works perfectly with the standard Gustard setting right out of the box.

It's really a big jump in resolution and spatial cues and really shows off what the Wavedream can do. Was using the USB output with the IFI Ipurifier coming from Lumin U1 mini prior to I2S. Now I send usb still with the IFI Ipurifier to u18 then I2S to the Rockna Wavedream.

Am so happy with it that I just ordered the Gustard C18 master clock to clock sync the U18 and my uptone etherregen. Really looking forward to it...

Apr 13, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #637 of 1,992
Hi Everybody .My experience with my Gustard DDC U18. I have a pontus 2 denafrips with an exposure 3510 amplifier, on one hand on the other hand, for my headphone listening system, the qutest and a...simple monprice headphone amp 6w, or a tube amplifier for my Abyss tC on basis of 300 B tubes .

I had the singxer su1 previously and it gave me the opportunity to compare . No measurements here, only ears working ...

To make a long story short, the results are astonishing , as i speak not in terms of performances but in terms of musicality . it's only good, more resolving , god damn fine, and i didn't even go to the SR purple fuse .

With my loudspeakers connected to the server roon and the U18 gustard, in goes far better in terms of credibility soundwise speaking, open space , the instruments , and the voices , really great .

with the Zen stream, its a bit different, i don't find back the resolution that i have with my PC as source for roon or audirvana , the last is more musical ( audirvana ) but Roon is more practical for use , that's a choice, i have them both

Then for the Zen stream i will use the ipurifier and a an external psu in order to optimize , at this stage , it's not bad with the U18 , on the contrary, but comparable with a server, or a nucleus , or an optimized audio PC , they are not playing in the same league

I think, belonging the denafrips pontus, that a Gaia or a Hermes, should be performing better, but i m not sure of it, and regarding the price, the U18 Gustard goes in terms of musicality, quality and price , for the thrith of the price, in a audiophile world , well ....

that brings without putting questions measurements , us in a consideration which can put us with normally the best of it in measures , jitter etc ...and pardoxally a better sounding unit .

What i have to add, is that synergy , cables , with me personally, played a huge rol in order to get the best of it

One question for you guys, i m know about to order the SR Purple fuse , the which one do i have to buy the ( 5x20mm ? ) + 500 or 630 ma ? Thanks for the last, i ve read here the both 500 ma or 630 ma , please let me know

Thanks for all of you , somethimes our reality is not the same reality for others, that the charm of this passion !
Fuse Size: 5 x 20mm Fuse Rating: 500mA

Apr 13, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #639 of 1,992
I received the U18 about a week ago mainly to get I2S to the Rockna Wavedream. Works perfectly with the standard Gustard setting right out of the box.

It's really a big jump in resolution and spatial cues and really shows off what the Wavedream can do. Was using the USB output with the IFI Ipurifier coming from Lumin U1 mini prior to I2S. Now I send usb still with the IFI Ipurifier to u18 then I2S to the Rockna Wavedream.

Am so happy with it that I just ordered the Gustard C18 master clock to clock sync the U18 and my uptone etherregen. Really looking forward to it...
U18 will get even better after some hours. Please let us know your impressions of the C18 once you get it.

Apr 13, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #640 of 1,992
Here is the pic of spec from my order
DAB88594-6D87-46F1-BF91-D0225879028E.jpeg

Apr 13, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #642 of 1,992
Default Guatard fuse was 500ma. I'm not sure if the components inside Guatard U18 can withstand 630 ma. May be they can but I went with the Guatard specs on fuse.
Fuse is to limit the current in case we have surge. Already we are using slow blow not sure if we should use higher current rating. Under normal circumstances there won't be an issue though.

Apr 13, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #643 of 1,992
Default Guatard fuse was 500ma. I'm not sure if the components inside Guatard U18 can withstand 630 ma. May be they can but I went with the Guatard specs on fuse.
Fuse is to limit the current in case we have surge. Already we are using slow blow not sure if we should use higher current rating. Under normal circumstances there won't be an issue though.
Gustard $25 nano fuse is 630ma so OK to use for U18. If it was an issue I'm sure Gustard would have made a 500ma available for the U18. But highly doubt that it would sound different or better than a 500ma fuse as Larent was told.

Apr 13, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #644 of 1,992
I had the Gustard fuses in my X26p and U18 and went with purples. The Gustards are better than the ones they came with but the purples weren't sent back after their 30 day trial period is all I'll say. I'm not one to blow $400 on fuses without very good reason.

Also this retailer has a good deal on them this month if you can use 3 of them. https://www.thecableco.com/specials/synergistic-research's-new-purple-fuses-buy-2-get-1-free.html
I tried Aucharm Red VS SR Purple . Purple was much better … I need to compare SR Purple to Aucharm Blue Mineral Oil Fuse ($80) , But Purple was so good , I have 4 now…
SR Purple >Aucharm Red > Gustard Fuse
Vhaudio has Special through April: Buy 2, get 1 FREE Deal .

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #645 of 1,992
No problem with 630 mA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back