Gustard U16 - the first USB Interface featuring ESS USB chip
Jul 27, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #1,622 of 1,697
I have been observing the sporadic blockages of the U16 for some time, one thing that suffers is an inefficient system to eliminate interference and noise from the AC source, you can see, a lighting switch that is activated, or a motor of an electrical appliance etc, it may be enough for a crash, I am implementing in my unit an internal enhancement of the AC input with better filters and some more details, when the implementation is done I will give the results here. This sounds good for what it's worth, I'm going to give it a try even before looking for something more expensive.
I noticed this issue too. Switching on/off any inductive load could potentially make U16 reboot. The 470uF x 2 filters seemed insufficient. Replaced them with Nichicon 3300uF x 2. Problem solved.

Jul 27, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #1,623 of 1,697
So is this even worth getting? I have a Gustard X20 and would like to try DSD512. Would there be sonic benefits to adding the U16 or is it too unstable?
Unless you're getting a used one, the model has been discontinued by the manufacturer. They'll be launching an upgraded version soon (U18 from what I hear). I just hope it's better than the U16.

Nov 12, 2021 at 1:07 AM Post #1,625 of 1,697
I have a question needing advice as i'm no good at technical
Specs on U16 WCK/SPDIF digital output at 24 bits 44.1k-384k

If connecting U16 to old DAC like Stax DAC Talent on 20-bit PCM63 with 3 sampling freq in 48k, 44.1k & 32k, any technical advise of foreseeable issues in connection via BNC (U16 output) to Coaxial (input DAC) ?

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #1,626 of 1,697
I have a question needing advice as i'm no good at technical
Specs on U16 WCK/SPDIF digital output at 24 bits 44.1k-384k

If connecting U16 to old DAC like Stax DAC Talent on 20-bit PCM63 with 3 sampling freq in 48k, 44.1k & 32k, any technical advise of foreseeable issues in connection via BNC (U16 output) to Coaxial (input DAC) ?
The U16 doesn't limit the input sample rates, it just passing them through. You could maybe limit the sample rate (resample) in Your player software to 44.1 or 48kHz. The out put signals are standard and with good quality so You should end up with a working solution and maybe a smile
/Jan

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #1,628 of 1,697
The U16 doesn't limit the input sample rates, it just passing them through. You could maybe limit the sample rate (resample) in Your player software to 44.1 or 48kHz. The out put signals are standard and with good quality so You should end up with a working solution and maybe a smile
/Jan
Hi JaMo, thank you for your reply and hope that the digital output signal from U16 are standard and acceptable to the Talent DAC.

My concern was from an old post (2012 in this forum) in which someone had issue locking on the incoming digital signal from his AGD-DI to Stax DAC Talent even in non upsampling, and there's uncertainty if its digital output signal related or something else like mismatch output voltage.

I do hope to end with a smile for a taste of the older multibits DAC, but the potential tech issues had me rethink if worth a bid.

Mar 9, 2022 at 11:15 PM Post #1,631 of 1,697
To those who still keep their Gustard U16 and did not get rid of it, and are no longer in the warranty period, try to remove the bridge to double the frequency of the clocks, I have gained a lot in stability, I still have the 1.61NFB firmware, it is easy, fast and simple, if it does not improve, put it back. I keep it with me even for its sound, not for its reliability and accuracy which are its weak point.
Hi, can I ask is this lifting up the jumper and put it back only attach with 1 pin leg?
Does this help with internal clock or external clock ??

Mar 9, 2022 at 11:16 PM Post #1,632 of 1,697
I have been observing the sporadic blockages of the U16 for some time, one thing that suffers is an inefficient system to eliminate interference and noise from the AC source, you can see, a lighting switch that is activated, or a motor of an electrical appliance etc, it may be enough for a crash, I am implementing in my unit an internal enhancement of the AC input with better filters and some more details, when the implementation is done I will give the results here. This sounds good for what it's worth, I'm going to give it a try even before looking for something more expensive.
Hi, I am interested doing this, do you mind sharing what have you done internally to improve the sound?

Mar 10, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #1,633 of 1,697
Hi guys.
I'm selling my Gustard U16 as I have now an Audio-GD DI-20.

Maybe I could sell it for about $230/250 shipping included. If anyone is interested, send me a PM and I can ask for the specific shipping cost to confirm.

It's in mint condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back