Gustard U16 - the first USB Interface featuring ESS USB chip
Sep 25, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #1,653 of 1,697
I decided to downgrade my firmware today like I've done in the past and as I was upgrading, the u16 decided to disconnect and now my u16 doesnt work anymore. Not sure if anyone had this issue but my u16 does not connect to my pc and the display is blank. Is there a way to reset it or is it completely bricked? I've changed firmwares a number of times and this has never happened. The u16 is completely unusable. :frowning2:

Sep 26, 2022 at 3:19 AM Post #1,654 of 1,697
I decided to downgrade my firmware today like I've done in the past and as I was upgrading, the u16 decided to disconnect and now my u16 doesnt work anymore. Not sure if anyone had this issue but my u16 does not connect to my pc and the display is blank. Is there a way to reset it or is it completely bricked? I've changed firmwares a number of times and this has never happened. The u16 is completely unusable. :frowning2:
I am afraid You have bricked the device. Years back I did some recoveries of bricked DVD players after some testing of edited firmwares. Some of them worked fine but sometimes things went south.. The "unbricking" was done by first detecting/finding the serial interfaces (RX, TX, GND and +3.3V/+5V pins or holes) on the circuit board and then by establish a serial connection to the computer (PC). I am sure there are useful info out on the Internet about this. Today computers doesn't have those serial interfaces but USB-ports works fine with USB to serial adapters. The push-flash softwares was pretty primitive but worked.

I don't have the skills or the softwares left but I am sure a similar procedure could be done on the U16. If You are into these trials I can assure You that it is very rewarding to succeed and see a dead thing reborn and coming to life again.

You may have another option I think You should test as a first try. There is a switch on the circuit board that is marked with FW1-FW2. This switch is located between the optical input and the oscillators. (See picture, yellow ring down to the right)

I think You should cut the power to the U16, then open it and push this FW1-FW2 switch to its alternative position and try to power the device on again.

Good luck, fingers crossed.
/Jan

Attachments

• gustard-u16-usb-digital-interface _ FW1-FW2.jpg
    gustard-u16-usb-digital-interface _ FW1-FW2.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 28, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #1,655 of 1,697
I am afraid You have bricked the device. Years back I did some recoveries of bricked DVD players after some testing of edited firmwares. Some of them worked fine but sometimes things went south.. The "unbricking" was done by first detecting/finding the serial interfaces (RX, TX, GND and +3.3V/+5V pins or holes) on the circuit board and then by establish a serial connection to the computer (PC). I am sure there are useful info out on the Internet about this. Today computers doesn't have those serial interfaces but USB-ports works fine with USB to serial adapters. The push-flash softwares was pretty primitive but worked.

I don't have the skills or the softwares left but I am sure a similar procedure could be done on the U16. If You are into these trials I can assure You that it is very rewarding to succeed and see a dead thing reborn and coming to life again.

You may have another option I think You should test as a first try. There is a switch on the circuit board that is marked with FW1-FW2. This switch is located between the optical input and the oscillators. (See picture, yellow ring down to the right)

I think You should cut the power to the U16, then open it and push this FW1-FW2 switch to its alternative position and try to power the device on again.

Good luck, fingers crossed.
/Jan
Wow. it actually works again. Thank you JaMo! Is the switch made for backup? Im assuming it is. I switched it to FW2 and it works perfectly again!

Nov 11, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #1,657 of 1,697
So, after a few years on the market and 111 pages on Head-Fi, what's the verdict for U16 in regard to pops/clicks/interruptions on the audio signal? How often, under what circumstances and for which ports, and what's the cause? Yes, I know, U18 has replaced it, but if this is not resolved with U16, U18 is not to be trusted, especially since it's costing almost double.

Nov 11, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #1,658 of 1,697
So, after a few years on the market and 111 pages on Head-Fi, what's the verdict for U16 in regard to pops/clicks/interruptions on the audio signal? How often, under what circumstances and for which ports, and what's the cause? Yes, I know, U18 has replaced it, but if this is not resolved with U16, U18 is not to be trusted, especially since it's costing almost double.
It is solved with the u18. It is worth the extra money. The u16 is still a hit or miss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back