Gustard U16 - the first USB Interface featuring ESS USB chip
May 5, 2019 at 7:28 AM Post #916 of 1,697
I own 0.6m Carbon. I like it and used to use for long time.
But not so long time ago (couple months) I was advised to try YYaudio silver platted copper OCC cable. And it's amazing cable! Is cheaper than AQ Carbon and definitely better :)
Great deal which I recommend because is not just more detailed and spacious but is even more musical in same time.

May 5, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #920 of 1,697
Unfortunally it seems Gustard does NOT take further development or even fixing existing issues seriously at all!

More than 3 month ago I had an email exchange with Gustard support. They asked me, if I could do some testing and I investested some time and did it:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/gus...ing-ess-usb-chip.888947/page-32#post-14738080

Since then, silence.... No further reaction, no answer, no firmware, nothing...

This is quite unprofessional and this is the image I (and other) have from Gustard brand.

I'm tired of the unreliable nature of the U16.

Therefore some month ago a switched back to SU-1 (Magna edition) which works flawless and offers for me the same sound quality.

Thanks for taking the time for that detailed analysis. I was really hoping for some sign of Gustard firmware development... especially after all the input given to them by customers.
It is interesting that for computer audio related stuff, continual software related development appears to be a critical attribute.
I sold a U16 yesterday, hope it works OK for the buyer :pray:
Also removed the new Gustard X26 DAC from my "possible next DAC list".

May 9, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #921 of 1,697
Can one of you folks that have replaced the fuse in the U16 tell/show me where the fuse is located. I tried opening the case from teh back and carefully slid out the main board as far as teh front ribbon connect would allow but could not see a fuse/holder anywhere.

Also if you want to chnage caps on this unit how do your remove the mainboard completely, the front ribbon seem too short to achieve this?

Hope you can assist?

Frizzup

May 9, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #922 of 1,697
Can one of you folks that have replaced the fuse in the U16 tell/show me where the fuse is located. I tried opening the case from teh back and carefully slid out the main board as far as teh front ribbon connect would allow but could not see a fuse/holder anywhere.

Also if you want to chnage caps on this unit how do your remove the mainboard completely, the front ribbon seem too short to achieve this?

Hope you can assist?

Frizzup

Frizzup,
See image below, use a flathead screwdriver to pull out the fuse holder by removing power cord and prying the fuse bracket out where the arrow in pointing.
Change the fuse and push the bracket back in.
Hope this helps
U16 fuse.png

5X20IECFUSEHOLDER.jpg
PP4004-iec-male-chassis-power-plug-with-fuseholderImageMain-515.jpg

May 10, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #924 of 1,697
Hi Frizzup,
What is your choice of fuse? I usually use SR, and all of the fuses gear in my system is using SR, but decided to give the Furutech a shot, it's ok but I have to get a SR to hear the difference. I don't want to speculate here, but the Furutech sounds a tad bright, not by much though. Do let us know. Thank you buddy.

May 13, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #927 of 1,697
Just ordered a unit through fleabay in Europe, should be here in a week or so. Will be feeding a LITE DAC 83 through AES/EBU and an Gustard X22 through HDMI IIS.

Downloaded the driver and the 1.61 firmware. From reading I understood this must be plugged in an USB 2 port. Anything else I need to know?

This might replace a modded Singxer SU1 (just increased capacitance before the regs and switched Panasonic to Nichicon KA).

Will let you know guys how it goes.

Last edited:
May 14, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #928 of 1,697
Found some other settings that are not mentioned in the manual.

1. Long hold on right side button, to alternate between 0db and std

2. Left long hold to alternate between psa, gsd, lks, holo, lrck.

Anyone can enlighten me on what are the differences?

Besides, currently it is showing as PCM 48 KHZ.
Is it suppose to be showing just 48khz?

May 14, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #929 of 1,697
@bruiselee The button functions were added with the latest firmware releases (1.58, 1.61, etc). PSA, HOLO, etc... configure the HDMI I2S output for the various implied DAC manufacturers. 0dB and Std.affect the output volume - 0dB is fixed level, Std allows a player to throttle volume by way of the U16. Generally 0dB is preferred.

"PCM 48kHz" is just reflecting what is being fed in on the USB port. You will see either "PCM" or "DSD" plus the sampling rates on the display. Nice feature that the Singxers do not have. My U16 defaults to PCM 44.1kHz when powered on and no USB cable connected.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back