Gustard U16 - the first USB Interface featuring ESS USB chip
Apr 28, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #903 of 1,697
HiFi Tuning Supreme

Thanks for the recommendation. Bought a 1A HFT Supreme fuse that had been burned in for 300+ hours and it definitely improved the sound quality. I never imagined a fuse would do this until I read this thread, It was well worth the $50. My Elac Navis speakers have never sounded better. U16 with HFT Supreme fuse, Pangea Premier HDMI cable and LKS DA004 have great synergy with the Navis.

Now I want to upgrade the power cord. Anyone have recommendations for the U16 here? Maybe $50 range?

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019 at 6:39 AM Post #905 of 1,697
Thanks for the recommendation. Bought a 1A HFT Supreme fuse that had been burned in for 300+ hours and it definitely improved the sound quality. I never imagined a fuse would do this until I read this thread, It was well worth the $50. My Elac Navis speakers have never sounded better. U16 with HFT Supreme fuse, Pangea Premier HDMI cable and LKS DA004 have great synergy with the Navis.

Now I want to upgrade the power cord. Anyone have recommendations for the U16 here? Maybe $50 range?
I'm afraid it wont be so cheap with cables to have good result :)

In my system Furutech S032 cable on U16 worked well. Better than Acrolink and black DH Labs I also tried on it. But each system has different needs.

The best if you can borrow or rent few and try.

Apr 30, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #907 of 1,697
I recently acquired a Gustard U16 to complement my Gustard A20H DAC/headphone amp. I needed to move the J35 jumper within the U16 in order to obtain compatibility for DSD playback over I2S with Gustard's A20H. The need to make this jumper change was relayed by Gustard support and did resolve this compatibility issue.

May 1, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #908 of 1,697
I recently acquired a Gustard U16 to complement my Gustard A20H DAC/headphone amp. I needed to move the J35 jumper within the U16 in order to obtain compatibility for DSD playback over I2S with Gustard's A20H. The need to make this jumper change was relayed by Gustard support and did resolve this compatibility issue.

Hi DBMan,

When you say move the J35 jumper - do you mean remove it altogether?
I do have problems with DSD playback on my SOTM streamer - therefore am thinking if this jumper is the culprit

Thanks

May 1, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #910 of 1,697
Hi DBMan,

I do have problems with DSD playback on my SOTM streamer - therefore am thinking if this jumper is the culprit

Thanks

You don't remove the J35 jumper - but reposition it. In my stock configuration, the two-pin J35 jumper was attached to only one pin, thus the associated circuit was open. When you move the J35 jumper, it will short the two pins together and close the circuit. It is akin to the old CMOS clear jumper on PC motherboards.

I wrote to Gustard to ask about the electrical function of the J35 jumper, but they are on holiday for two days. Gustard did send me a procedure for taking apart the U16 to access the jumper. If you need it, send me a pm with your email address,

May 1, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #911 of 1,697
Hi DBMan,

Thanks

If you're running linux on the SOtM streamer, the U16 is not properly recognized by the OS for DSD playback. SOtM is working on a fix. I would look for an update in the next Eunhasu release after v4.59.

If changing the J35 jumper provides a solution, please post your results.

May 1, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #913 of 1,697
Was in contact with May - 4.59 was suppose to be the fix - it didn’t work. May went radio silent after that. Thought of looking elsewhere for solving this. Will probably try the procedure out and update the group here.

Recently, they were busy preparing for and attending AXPONA in Chicago. I'm assuming it will take another couple of weeks or so for a release.

May 3, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #914 of 1,697
I received the following information from Gustard technical support with regard to the J35 jumper on the U16:

1.The J35 will not be eliminated.
2.The electrical function of this J35 jumper :

Mainly the frequency of the mclk signal in the iis interface, when the j35 is setting, it is 22/24 MHz, and when it is open, it is 90/98 MHz. When A20H is using input with IIS, MCLK is fixed at a frequency of 22M or 24M. Therefore, when connecting U16, you need to plug the J35 jumper inside U16.

The reference to the A20H is the Gustard A20H DAC.

Last edited:
May 4, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #915 of 1,697
My experience can't confirm that. 0.3m wireworld cable was only cable that length and was the worst I tested. Other much better was 0.6 & 1 (never tried longer than 1.5m).
For me the rule is same as for any other cable. Important is good quality conductor, geometry and insulators.
Considering buying AQ Carbon, which length did you try? Worth it, yes, no?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back