Gustard U16 - the first USB Interface featuring ESS USB chip
May 14, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #931 of 1,697
@bruiselee Set the U16 to "PSA" for Audio GD DACs.

Before we can help you tell us what do you have connected to the U16 USB port and what are you using for a player? The U16 front panel display's mode and sampling rate just reflects what the U16 thinks is coming as USB audio. The U16 will not convert, resample, or transcode files. In other words it will not convert PCM to DSD.

May 14, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #933 of 1,697
I see.

So, if I'm using a audio gd master 7, which i be using ideally?

And if I'm using it connected to my computer,
Is showing PCM 48 KHZ normal? Can I change it to dsd?
Frequency depends on music file format you have. Buy music in DSD and then you will have DSD

May 20, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #935 of 1,697
Found some other settings that are not mentioned in the manual.
1. Long hold on right side button, to alternate between 0db and std
2. Left long hold to alternate between psa, gsd, lks, holo, lrck.

Well, received the package from a fleabay seller in DE, everything is okay they put an extra box to keep the original safe. Changed I2s setting to GSD, I can listen to DSD64 (SACD) on my Gustard X22 without any problems, also 44.1, 88.2, 96 frequencies work without any hitch on both the LITE 83 DAC on AES/EBU and I2s on the Gustard DAC. That's all I care for, I can watch movies/concerts without any delay in sound, overall I'm happy. The X22 does even 24/384k without any problems on my test file. I only have one :)

Already clearer than my slightly modded SU-1.

So to resume for CD flac, 24/96 and DSD64 it works okay.

Last edited:
May 22, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #938 of 1,697
We are assuming there is a solution for the firmware problems. Maybe there isn't. Maybe ESS has always known there isn't, Gustard knows there isn't, we just don't know. Yet.

Hi,
I don't buy that. Ess doesn't support this application of this "soundbar-chip".That we know. Gustard must have known this from the start. Gustard has achieved functions for most formats, sample rates and DSD...but not in the same firmware. In my case I only use I2S via HDMI so I am fine with the "1.4 PSA IIS". It is annoying that it doesn't output useful signals on the RCA/BNC.
It is definately "beta" behaving at this moment and Gustard will kill their reputation if they don't address this. They cannot afford to have too many disappointed customers out here. Their job is just to wrap/consolidate the full functions into a 2.0 fw. I read somewhere (internet surfing a few weeks ago..) that an attempt of this should be started this summer (Q2/Q3 2019).

I will keep my hope and suggest You others also to do that. The u16 is far too good to let go. We should all harass Gustard support with this subject until they make this to their priority.
The guys at Gustard are skilled, no doubt, they just need "our help" with this priority..

/Jan

Last edited:
May 22, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #939 of 1,697
Hi,
I don't buy that. Ess doesn't support this application of this "soundbar-chip".That we know. Gustard must have known this from the start. Gustard has achieved functions for most formats, sample rates and DSD...but not not in the same firmware. In my case I only use I2S via HDMI so I am fine with the "1.4 PSA IIS". It is annoying that it doesn't output useful signals on the RCA/BNC.
It is definately "beta" behaving at this moment and Gustard will kill their reputation if they don't address this. They cannot afford to have too many disappointed customers out here. Their job is just to wrap/consolidate the full functions into a 2.0 fw. I read somewhere (internet surfing a few weeks ago..) that an attempt of this should be started this summer (Q2/Q3 2019).

I will keep my hope and suggest You others also to do that. The u16 is far too good to let go. We should all harass Gustard support with this subject until they make this to their priority.
The guys at Gustard are skilled, no doubt, they just need "our help" with this priority..

/Jan

I tried very hard to tell myself it is worth it, the sound from Gustard I2S was worth the drop outs, static, hard reboots...

Then I realised I wasn't enjoying the music and just anticipating the next episode of static to rip the headphones off my head.

I contacted Shenzen Audio to enquire about new firmware about 2 weeks ago, just the usual 'Gustard is working on it'.

Singxer SU-6 is my saviour. Bye Gustard

May 22, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #940 of 1,697
I tried very hard to tell myself it is worth it, the sound from Gustard I2S was worth the drop outs, static, hard reboots...

Then I realised I wasn't enjoying the music and just anticipating the next episode of static to rip the headphones off my head.

I contacted Shenzen Audio to enquire about new firmware about 2 weeks ago, just the usual 'Gustard is working on it'.

Singxer SU-6 is my saviour. Bye Gustard

That sounds really bad. I have a flawless function on raspberry Pi3B+ (Linux PiCoreplayer). Excellent sound on every formats. Rock solid stabilty.

/Jan

May 22, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #941 of 1,697
When I initially got my U16, I had issues, but it has settled down and now performing great. No reboots, pops or clicks on my Intel i7 NUC with Topping DX7s, connected via AES. I have an Audio-GD coming so it will be interesting to see if I have any issues with the I2S connection. Kingwa suggested v1.4 works best with the R8, so I will follow his advice.

May 22, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #942 of 1,697
Interesting that the recommendation is 1.4 and o8...i am on 1.61 and o4 and have no issues at all, IIS to the R8 and coax to the Master 11 Nos...only redbook and some 192er Files, no DSD at all...no upsampling from the source...it has sattled in, i was sceptical before, now i am really happy, to give it a try in the long run.
Not as good as the transport but way better than amanero isolated...

May 22, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #943 of 1,697
Thank you for the response. I don't know if Kingwa's recommendation was due to the fact that I listen primarily to DSD, but I will verify with him, as I am also on v1.61 and it is stable, although with my current DAC, I can't test I2S.

May 22, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #944 of 1,697
Last edited:
May 22, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #945 of 1,697
Thank you very much for the link, very helpful. V3a and r7 are imho not 100% comparable with R8 and TDAasy (the Master clock theme), i.e.i have the magnificat (Schütz) file in 24/192 with 1.61 IIS and the R8, or coax to the Master 11 NOS, i have no distortion...but the matrix done by @batfier is a perfect support!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back