Gustard U16 - the first USB Interface featuring ESS USB chip
Jan 30, 2019 at 1:41 AM Post #541 of 1,697
So now I am running V1.61 on both my U16's.

In post #509 motberg stated that with V1.61 the L/R channels are swapped with Audio-GD DAC's. Which confused me because testing posted earlier in this thread claimed no issue with V1.61 and channels on R7 (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/gus...ing-ess-usb-chip.888947/page-32#post-14738080)

So I tested the channels on both my R2R7 and R1, here is where it gets strange:

On my R2R7 the channels are not swapped with V1.61. (44khz)
On my R1 the channels are swapped! (384 khz)
how weird is that. I swapped the interconnects on my Master 9 to compensate for the R1 but it is strange that 2 audio-gd dac's have different results with I2S.

just in case...

in 1.61 you need to select the I2S mode via button.

if psa mode doesn't work you could try gsd.

in any case, if you use the same mode for both AGD devices it should be the same.

Jan 30, 2019 at 1:49 AM Post #542 of 1,697
I am using the U16 with 1.4 firmware, unit was delivered just before Xmas 2018. Source is an Auralic Aries streamer, usb into Gustard U16, I2S out of U16 into PS Audio Directstream. Other than the pre-emphasis flag in the dac's window as you have... I have zero issues similar to yours, or any of the previous poster's complaints of certain files not playing, or noise issues. Go figure. Like many of the posters in the beginning of this thread, my experience has been that my U16 is a huge sonic bang for the buck, and plays well with the Aries and Directstream.

interesting.

you are using 1.4 plain or 1.4_psa?

are you l/r channels swapped?

have you tried 176khz and 192khz files?

have you tried the non I2S outputs?

Jan 30, 2019 at 6:32 AM Post #543 of 1,697
just in case...

in 1.61 you need to select the I2S mode via button.

if psa mode doesn't work you could try gsd.

in any case, if you use the same mode for both AGD devices it should be the same.

I did select the PSA setting, both my U16's are set the same.

interesting.

you are using 1.4 plain or 1.4_psa?
are you l/r channels swapped?
have you tried 176khz and 192khz files?
have you tried the non I2S outputs?

1.61 set to PSA for both my U16's.
L/R swapped on R1 but not on R2R-7
176 and 192 still have problems on my R2R-7
Everything is up-sampled to 384khz on my R1
No I have not tried non I2S outputs, the whole point of this DDC is for me to use the I2S Outputs.

Jan 30, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #544 of 1,697
I'm aware that using Windows volume control is less than ideal, but when you're just browsing the internet it's more than fine to use. I use WASAPI or ASIO output when listening to music. You're also wrong about the driver being buggy. I have it installed on three devices and have the same exact issues on all three devices. I've also tried different USB cables, power cables, and HDMI cables.
I believe I am right for my usage. It's connected to my audio server and DAC purely for music. And it does work as suppose to.
To watch YT or anything like that I have separate PC.

Jan 30, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #546 of 1,697
To the least, the u16 is not fully compliant to the ps audio i2s format. The devil is in the details.

It seems like the audio-gd r-1 and r-7 do not lock the signal the exact same way. But i assume both would work pefectly with a perfectly compliant signal, as it does with the singxer and amanero offerings.

I haven't spent enough time with the U16 to make any judgement on sound quality over the the Singxer SU-1. But if I decide that it definitely sounds better, I might consider keeping the U16 despite some of these odd software issues.
I believe I am right for my usage. It's connected to my audio server and DAC purely for music. And it does work as suppose to.
To watch YT or anything like that I have separate PC.

The issue is that you're claiming it works fine but you don't have the same setup as I do so it doesn't make sense to me for you to claim that it works fine. In general the U16 works, but on occasion there is distortion in the audio and some hiccups elsewhere. Normally the distortion happens when switching between PCM, DSD and bit depth/sample rates. In Windows there is also distortion when changing the software volume control. All of this indicates that the Windows 10 driver needs work and/or ROM needs further development. The PS Audio I2S implementation the U16 is trying to meet also has an issue where it's sending a pre-emphasis flag at all times with a PCM signal. This is the issue I'd like to see fixed first as I think it's the most detrimental to the audio.

Jan 30, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #548 of 1,697
Have anyone tried to connect to the U16 through an Icron/Startech or similar LAN or fiber USB extender?
I have just bought an Icron 2224 USB over fiber extender that really displays theese distortions.
There is no problems at all with distortions when connecting direct to the computers (tried four) win 10

Jan 31, 2019 at 2:56 AM Post #550 of 1,697
I haven't spent enough time with the U16 to make any judgement on sound quality over the the Singxer SU-1. But if I decide that it definitely sounds better, I might consider keeping the U16 despite some of these odd software issues.

Haven't fully burned it in yet, but the U16 is definitely on the more full bodied/warmer side. I wouldn't say it is all around better, just a good alternative with a different sound so far.

Jan 31, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #552 of 1,697
Doing the first tests with my U16, but the screen only shows 48khz, irrespective of the sampling rate in foobar. That's happening in a laptop with Windows 8 and another with Windows 10.

Jan 31, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #553 of 1,697
Doing the first tests with my U16, but the screen only shows 48khz, irrespective of the sampling rate in foobar. That's happening in a laptop with Windows 8 and another with Windows 10.
I could be normal with windows. All sound sources are converted to 48k, to be mixed, by default.

In foobar, you have to check the exclusive access option if not done already.

Jan 31, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #554 of 1,697
@Cortes What device are you selecting in Foobar Output->Device? Appears it could be set to the primary Windows output which always re-samples everything to the rate selected in Windows sound settings (48kHz could be the default).

With Foobar I always use WASAPI (event) to play the native sampling rates. And the rates are indicated correctly on the U16 display as different songs are played.

If you are sure Foobar is set correctly the U16 could just not be displaying the right info but playing back OK. If so you are the first to report.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #555 of 1,697
@Cortes What device are you selecting in Foobar Output->Device? Appears it could be set to the primary Windows output which always re-samples everything to the rate selected in Windows sound settings (48kHz could be the default).

With Foobar I always use WASAPI (event) to play the native sampling rates. And the rates are indicated correctly on the U16 display as different songs are played.

If you are sure Foobar is set correctly the U16 could just not be displaying the rightt info but playing back OK. If so you are the first to report.
I did not remember if wasapi had to be installed. Thanks for correcting my post.

Wasapi brings a nice sound improvement. I did install it at the office for my r2r-11 setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back