Gustard U16 - the first USB Interface featuring ESS USB chip
Jan 26, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #496 of 1,697
I am up-sampling CD wav files to DSD in the following configuration

Windows 10 + foobar2000 -> USB to U16 -> I2S to Gustard X20 DAC -> amp

and I do not have issues for DSD64, DSD128. Playing DSD256 works but there are minor issues. Playing DSD512 works but with many issues so that music cannot be enjoyed anymore.

No issues for me too in this configuration :

Windows 10 + Roon (upsampled to DSD128) -> USB to U16 -> I2S to Audio Gd R2R-2 -> amp

I would just not prefer to upsample everything to DSD, since i prefer the snappier sound of PCM, and PCM distort heavily with I2S on U16.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #497 of 1,697
@BernieB Does the R2 HDMI I2S input work OK with another DDC? Try a different HDMI cable as well and, in general, keep HDMI I2S cable short (< 1m). Process of elimination.

"Regular 1.4" firmware will just reverse I2S data phase and L/R channels versus the "PSA" polarity. HDMI I2S clocks are the same. Should play OK but should hear only L-R cnannels swapped (plus absolute audio phase 180 out)....

And try 1.61 firmware as a test. It may make a difference with your U16 in your system.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #498 of 1,697
@DACLadder I don't have access to another DDC unfortunately. I am waiting for a new high-speed 1m 2.1 HDMI cable (same as the one @FredA has ) and hope it will fix the issue. I just don't understand why DSD > Gustard > HDMI > Dac would work fine on my system but not PCM (any sample rates) > Gustard > HDMI > Dac. Isn't the job of the DDC to convert different input signals to one same output signal ?

Thanks for your time guys, once i get that cable i'll report back, in the meantime i still can enjoy it in S/PDIF 192KHz and HDMI DSD128 :)

Jan 26, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #499 of 1,697
I wish Gustard does not go ahead with this DAC project yet because I think they still have a lot to learn about this ESS USB chip.

I agree, I received my second U16 that is paired with a windows 10 computer and Uptone ISO Regen.
there seems to be bugs with the USB driver. crossfading between songs in Jriver causes loud static after a couple songs.
After disabling crossfading the problem only happens after like 10 hours, but any windows ding or notification causes it to happen again.
I have to re-install the driver and reboot the U16 for it to stop the static noise when trying to play a song.
I tried other usb ports and eliminating the ISO Regen with no resolution to this issue.
HDMI is 0.5mm Audioquest Chocolate
for now I have reconnected the R1''s USB input to the computer also to function as default sound device in windows and use the U16 I2S input for Jriver only. it works but is frustrating...
I purchased an SOTM SMS-200 Ultra Neo for my main setup and may move my SMS-200 to the second setup instead of feeding the U16 with my Win10 computer. The U16 has been great with the SMS-200 so far other than the 176/192k issues.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #501 of 1,697
Thanks for your feedback, i have standard "1.4" since "1.4 PSA" isn't working for S/PDIF. In both cases HDMI has loud distortion and is not listenable. From what i understand, it could be 3 things,
  1. My HDMI cable
  2. Audio Gd R2R-R HDMI input ( should i get latest firmware maybe ? i have the stock one)
  3. The Gustard internal converter that has issues converting PCM to I2S
It is strange because Roon upsampled DSD works fine through PC > Gustard > HDMI > R2R-2 Dac.
At least i can use it with S/PDIF, but i would have liked testing I2S on my dac.
Try the 1.4 psa to see if it fixes hdmi. Be careful conecting/disconnecting as both the u16 and dac should be turned off before proceeding.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #503 of 1,697
Try the 1.4 psa to see if it fixes hdmi. Be careful conecting/disconnecting as both the u16 and dac should be turned off before proceeding.

Hi @FredA , all firmwares gave me distortion regarding of sample rates except for this solution i found :

Now i upsample PCM to 384 KHz with firmware 1.61, and it works with HDMI !!! I let DSD64 and DSD128 as is. DSD, 384 KHz and 96 KHz are the only sample rate that work on my system with this fw (through HDMI).

The good thing for me is it also works with HQPlayer + Roon, though switching songs takes a little longer but i don't mind.
I am really happy and can now start enjoying the wonderful sound of this U16 :)

Jan 27, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #504 of 1,697
Hi @FredA , all firmwares gave me distortion regarding of sample rates except for this solution i found :

Now i upsample PCM to 384 KHz with firmware 1.61, and it works with HDMI !!! I let DSD64 and DSD128 as is. DSD, 384 KHz and 96 KHz are the only sample rate that work on my system with this fw (through HDMI).

The good thing for me is it also works with HQPlayer + Roon, though switching songs takes a little longer but i don't mind.

Stereo imaging. mids and bass are jut splendid. Enjoy!

Jan 27, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #505 of 1,697
Can anyone clarify the firmware update process?
When I open up the USB_SPI_downloader.exe

The menu that pops up shows the current version is: GSD U16 V1.61 96k Jan 3 201915:08:46

There are two files within the firmware folder, a "U16V1.2 0db.rom" & a "U16V1_4 0db.rom" file.

Should I select the upgrade option & use one of those files or is the current factory installed one the latest?

Jan 27, 2019 at 10:34 PM Post #506 of 1,697
Also, will the front screen always be on when the U16 is on, can it be dimmed or turned off independently?

Is there no way to have the unit burn in without having to worry about the screen burning in?

Jan 28, 2019 at 3:26 AM Post #507 of 1,697
Hi again,
First. Thanks @batfier for the firmware-function tables! They have been very useful to not getting lost when trying out this.

Now, monday morning I have about 3,5 days of power on. I started by trying to get a working connection between a PiCorePlayer (Linux) and the U16. I am a loyal PiCore-user. The LMS running on the NAS along with the players works very good. Think I was lucky I guess...the third try got a hit. At that time I still had the 1.61-fw as the U16 was delivered with. I wanted to use HDMI to a R2R-7 and based on @batfier 's listings and other comments here guided me to use the "1.4 IIS PSA"- fw. First hours strange noises appeared some times when changing between formats but after playing 16/44.1 approx 30hrs the oscillators seemed to have settled enough to lock on every tested format (16/44.1, 24/44.1, 24/48, 24/88.2, 24/96, 24/176.4, 24/192, 24/352.8 (could not find any 24/384... I have a few but I they seems to be well hidden...hmm) DSD 64,128).

The sound: I have had a hard time to keep the Accurate firmwares in the R2R-7. Too harsh on my ears on some tracks.. But with this U16 it is not problem any more. Superresolving and nice.. ..And this already after 80hrs. I think this is a very good investment to the audio-chain. I use decent cables but have ordered better ones... But I can live with these ; )

The maturing is ongoing. Imaging and stagesize, positioning of instruments are getting clearer by playinghours.. Bass is coming and going... This is a real pleasure and a joy to experience. A high moment of higher end performance. I sure look forward to the 2 weeks of burned in-performance...

Really good performance for small money, this Gustard U16

/Jan

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2019 at 3:49 AM Post #508 of 1,697
Also, will the front screen always be on when the U16 is on, can it be dimmed or turned off independently?

Is there no way to have the unit burn in without having to worry about the screen burning in?
You just get your device and worrying about screen burning in? :D It's not OLED :wink:

Jan 28, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #509 of 1,697
Thanks for your feedback, i have standard "1.4" since "1.4 PSA" isn't working for S/PDIF. In both cases HDMI has loud distortion and is not listenable. From what i understand, it could be 3 things,
  1. My HDMI cable
  2. Audio Gd R2R-R HDMI input ( should i get latest firmware maybe ? i have the stock one)
  3. The Gustard internal converter that has issues converting PCM to I2S
It is strange because Roon upsampled DSD works fine through PC > Gustard > HDMI > R2R-2 Dac.
At least i can use it with S/PDIF, but i would have liked testing I2S on my dac.

My initial testing here... Audio GD R1 DAC with i2s HDMI U16 is somewhat similar to yours. .
So far, all natural rate PCM except 16/44 is severely distorted with i2s HDMI U16>R1 using PSAudio 1.4 firmware. (SPDIF seemed OK for all rates I tested)
0.5M SilverSonic HDMI cable
Only 16/44 PCM seems OK so far using my older U16*.
(This R1 DAC worked perfectly with all PCM file resolutions from a SU-1 via i2s HDMI)

*I have 2 U16's, one on my Audio GD NOS7 working perfectly with all PCM rates via i2s HDMI, and just received the second U16 for the R1.
Thinking maybe a problem with the newer U16, I tried using the older U16 with the R1.. the older unit is the one that plays 16/44 OK on the R1 and distorts everything else
(the newer U16 unit on the R1 played only hiss at 16/44 with both the original factory firmware and the PSAudio 1.4 firmware)

I replaced the newly received U16 into the NOS7 i2s and everything OK.. all PCM plays fine (though the lack of break-in is evident compared to the older unit).
Both a 0.3M Wireworld Starlight and and 0.5M SilverSonic work fine with the U16>NOS7.

Then I noticed a newer driver at the shenzhenaudio site, so installed the latest driver (I think 1-25-2019 is the date) and also the latest firmware 1.61.
All PCM distorted except 24/96...
This firmware has R/L reversed for the Audio-GD DAC... so I reversed the preamp to amp R/L interconnects...

Next up.... try upsample PCM to 384 KHz with firmware 1.61 as per your suggestion... I load HQPlayer.. find some good settings that will allow the 384 to stick through various input rates.
Brilliant ! Works very well indeed... super many thanks for posting this idea. :beerchug:
I feed the ASIO HQPlayer output to JPlay which seems to be clearer than HQPlayer direct to the U16 ASIO driver.

Jan 28, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #510 of 1,697
Next up.... try upsample PCM to 384 KHz with firmware 1.61 as per your suggestion... I load HQPlayer.. find some good settings that will allow the 384 to stick through various input rates.
Brilliant ! Works very well indeed... super many thanks for posting this idea. :beerchug:
I feed the ASIO HQPlayer output to JPlay which seems to be clearer than HQPlayer direct to the U16 ASIO driver.

Nice !! Glad my solution worked for you too :)
It is strange that the U16 is working without issues on your Audio GD NOS7 but not R1. I was wondering myself if the problem was with my dac or the U16 itself. At least now we have a solution. Enjoy !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back