Gustard U16 - the first USB Interface featuring ESS USB chip
Dec 16, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #181 of 1,697
I agree. ESS USB implementation versus Xmos as well perhaps.

The U16 and my PC have settled down and called a truce. I remembered I have a similar issue with the older U12 where switching between dedicated sound file playback via Foobar and Windows soundmapper (games, news, Spotify, Youtube, etc) is not so smooth. So like the U12 Foobar HDMI I2S goes in one input on the DAC and only used for this purpose. Windows stuff is used with another USB input. Keeping these functions separated and now have consistent music file playback with the U16. And I just simply switch inputs on the DAC for Windows or Foobar. It is a quirk of my PC, Windows, and the Gustard drivers maybe for whatever reasons. The U16 front panel showing mode (PCM/DSD) and sampling rate is a nice feature and helped me localize this issue with my system.

Gustard U16 sounds great with the Audio GD R7 DAC (HDMI I2S). AGD's latest firmware V3A sounded on the bright side and a little grainy with the Singxers SU-1 and F1 (I2S). Swapping to the U16 and better balance. Sound is crisp with excellent pace and rhythm. Grain/ glare is much less. Vocals are good with the right amount of sibilance. Bass and treble dynamics/ attack increased (a lot). With just a few days run-in depth and width have improved so hopefully those will continue positive as well. Enjoying the changes brought by the U16!
Any channel inversion with the u16? What Hdmi cable do you use?

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #182 of 1,697

With the U16 "v1.4 PSA" firmware L-R channels are correct with the AGD R7. I don't know about absolute audio phase but sounds good with PCM files.

For HDMI cable I am using my trusty Wireworld Silver Starlight 6 0.3m length. Today, you could probably get a cheaper cable that is perhaps better. Whatever cable stock use the shortest cable length for best signal integrity of the clocks. I used a generic 2m HDMI cable when de-bugging issues yesterday and could hear a difference (with AGD DAC).

Dec 16, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #183 of 1,697

its depending on firmware version. for audio gd fw 1.4 psa works for hdmi/i2s with correct channels.

but with this fw all other u16 outputs have a problem.

if you want to have all outputs usable, use fw1.4 standard, but then you need to swap channels on you amp or dac.

Dec 16, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #184 of 1,697
its depending on firmware version. for audio gd fw 1.4 psa works for hdmi/i2s with correct channels.

but with this fw all other u16 outputs have a problem.

if you want to have all outputs usable, use fw1.4 standard, but then you need to swap channels on you amp or dac.

I see. I would just use i2s anyway.
With the U16 "v1.4 PSA" firmware L-R channels are correct with the AGD R7. I don't know about absolute audio phase but sounds good with PCM files.

For HDMI cable I am using my trusty Wireworld Silver Starlight 6 0.3m length. Today, you could probably get a cheaper cable that is perhaps better. Whatever cable stock use the shortest cable length for best signal integrity of the clocks. I used a generic 2m HDMI cable when de-bugging issues yesterday and could hear a difference (with AGD DAC).
Maybe just a .5m hdmi 2.0 would bo a great job.

Dec 20, 2018 at 6:30 AM Post #189 of 1,697
I just installed a U16 onto my Audio GD NOS7... used a .5 m DHLabs Silversonic HDMI... updated with the PS Audio firmware and R/L OK.
But I only have ASIO driver output available (Windows Server 2012 w/ AO) . Previously with SU1, Tanly, etc. I always had KS and WASAPI drivers available with Kernal Streaming the clearest....

Anyone have KS working ?

Dec 20, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #190 of 1,697
@motberg With Windows 10 Foobar lists two "KS::Audio Output" selections. I don't know the differences between the two but one works and the other I get no sound. The 2nd may be for SIngxer F1 wihich is also installed on my system. ASIO and WASAPI:event also work OK.

U16 operation is not perfect in my system (unlike the Singxers). At first boot I get no sound output until I attempt play on a few tracks then seems to work from that point on. Foobar will give an error message on occasion and no sound. Yesterday I had to restart the computer to get sound after working OK for 6 hours. 176kHz files are good sometimes and other times choppy. But when working the U16 will play for hours without any issue.

The U16 sounds great though. Just seems the Windows driver/ firmware handshake needs some additional development work.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #192 of 1,697
Just got my Gustard.

Flashing the fw from my windows 8 pc did not work. Had to go my my parents’, who have windows 10.

Then i got back home after an easy fw update to the ps audio version. I intented to use the same setup as with my f-1, that is:

rpi3b+ -> wyrd -> intona -> u16 -> r2r-7.

Had to remove the wyrd, it would not work with it. After this, It worked almost right away i.e. as soon i remembered hdmi is input 4 on my dac.

Then i had the idea to feed the intona using with the zerozone lps i used to feed the f-1. Got an instantaneous sound upgrade it seemed to me.

So far so good. The sound is relaxed and the bass is tuneful. Promising. Maybe too much bass as it is. I will burn it for a week before making a judgement. The sound is very laid back now, too much so.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #194 of 1,697
Just ordered a bluejeans belden f28 after reading a positive feeback on audiogon. 35$ inluding fedex shipping.

The u16 sounds already as good as the f-1. It did not during the first hour.

It is very smooth, that’s for sure. Resolution is already excellent.

Dec 22, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #195 of 1,697
Congrats Fred and give it a few days to settle in. More bass is the first item noticed followed by better vocals and less grain. This hopefully evolves with more balance. Width and depth took a few more days to develop.

I am just amazed how well 16-bit CD audio sounds using the U16 with R7. Really good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back